Profile for The Web Crawler > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
The Grove
The Grove
by John Rector

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing... worth a read only if you're in between books..., 17 Feb. 2011
This review is from: The Grove (Paperback)
From the blurb I really hoped this book would be a compelling page turner. An alcoholic with a tainted past trying to solve why a dead teenage girl turns up in his grove, with only the girl herself as the guide to the mystery. But the pacing was far too slow, and the ending was simple and abrupt. It doesn't help the fact this book is quite short either, so you'll whizz through it quickly with the hope the story picks up and the tension heightens. Unfortunately it doesn't turn out that way, and the short ride you're along for feels more mediocre than exciting.

If you need a quick distraction after an intense read, this is worth a shot. But you might as well move onto to your next big book if you want the excitement to continue, because you won't find it here.

Frommer's Britain for Free (Frommer's Free & Dirt Cheap)
Frommer's Britain for Free (Frommer's Free & Dirt Cheap)
by Ben Hatch

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting read, if not already done before..., 17 Feb. 2011
Credit where it's due to the authors, they've searched high and low in order to find the most low budget things to do in Britain. But let's face it, it's not new and doesn't already tell us what we as the British public already know. Don't get me wrong though, if you have no idea where to go or what to expect, this book is definately worth a gander. I can definitely see myself throwing the book in a backpack and left to my own devices to explore Britain. In that regard it definately gets merit from me.

Deadlock
Deadlock
by Sean Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Another enjoyable outing with Ryan Lock, 17 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Deadlock (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
It was nice to see that Sean Black is back with another outing with Ryan Lock. In the first title, Lockdown had Ryan deal with an escapade involving a pharmaceutical company and its baggage after a failed assassination attempt. This time it's much more straightforward than that, or so it seemed. Sean Black delivers yet another thriller which is easy to read yet gripping at the same time. The plot is a simple one, but executed well enough to keep the pages turning. I was hoping this second book to be as intriguing as the first though, but whilst reading this one it just felt like another action movie that "could've been". Lockdown is an enjoyable read that does not demand too much thought - you're here for the ride, there's a few bumps on the way with maybe one eyebrow raising moment but could've been spot a mile away. Not to take anything away from Sean Black's writing of course, as it was good to see Ryan & co back in action. If you need a new thriller to keep you busy, this is it. For me, I for one am interested to see what lies in store next time for Mr. Lock...

The Little Book of Behavioral Investing: How Not to be Your Own Worst Enemy (Little Books, Big Profits (UK))
by James Montier

4.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the read, but whether you'd come back to it..., 15 July 2010
If you need help with your decision making skills this book can help in a liberal way. It doesn't bombard you with academics and boring statistics of problems people face at a result of bad decision making, but provide you with helpful reminders of common traps and pitfalls to avoid. This book may not be as little as its title suggests, but I felt it could've been shorter - some chapters felt too repetitive for my liking. Don't be fooled into thinking this is a beginner's investor book either - this for one who's already well seasoned in investing and want tips to improve it further.

This is not a book I would keep referring to as a reference piece, more of an eye opener into investing and how to manage stock I own (and now have sold as a result of reading this book). As with most self help investing book things are kept very generalised in order to appeal to all the readers - you'll need to take that into account before applying what you read in here to your investing portfolio. Well worth the read, but whether you'd re-read it is another matter altogether.

Wahl 9854-802 Lithium Ion Grooming Station
Wahl 9854-802 Lithium Ion Grooming Station

3.0 out of 5 stars Good all round but there are better alternatives out there, 15 July 2010
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a pretty well built product thats suited for most male grooming needs. Good quality blades and accessories, as well as a solid shaving unit. The plastic base to hold everything is a bit too flimsy for me so be wary of this, so much that I've accidentally swiped the whole unit onto the bathroom floor once!

Being a rechargeable unit it can go for a good week on one full charge so thumbs up to Wahl for that one. I find that charging it once a week is best if you use it for odd jobs - nasal hair, sideburns and the like.

So if you need an all rounder to take care of more than just shaving your face it's worth a punt. However if you don't forsee yourself shaving more than your facial hair and think you're buying into something that can 'do it all' I'd advise avoiding this and sink your money into a dedicated foil shaver from Braun for example.

Orbus (Spatterjay 3)
Orbus (Spatterjay 3)
by Neal Asher

3.0 out of 5 stars Probably better if previous books are read first., 15 Oct. 2009
This review is from: Orbus (Spatterjay 3) (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Make no mistake I am a huge Science Fiction fan, but when it came to reading Neal Asher's Orbus I just couldn't not involved in the universe. I've never read a book written by Asher before, nor have I heard of the series so I found earlier parts of the book very difficult. Perhaps I'm only one, but I just found it extremely hard to picture what the characters looked like - and I'm used to wacky creations. Perhaps the lack of tangible references did not let me visualise Asher's characters, or perhaps it could be his writing style I was not accustomed too. And speaking of which, the chapters in this book are quite long. I quickly realised that whilst one sequence may be going on, Asher would then start describing another series of events within the same chapter - something I just could not get my head around. I think it would've benefited much more if these chapters were broken down further.

One thing I'll give Asher credit for is getting me interested in the series, and I'll be looking at the first two books preceeding Orbus.

Breath
Breath
by Tim Winton

4.0 out of 5 stars Satisfying and well worth the read., 11 Oct. 2009
This review is from: Breath (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Listen up surfers! If you're not too busy hitting the waves then take some time out to read this wonderful tale of a boy's journey through adolesence. But what about us non-surfers? Still worth reading! The author Tim Winton has brought us a truely delightful read, telling us the tale of Pikelet, a young lost boy coming of age. The character development is superb all around and the consequences of such damage they inflict over the course of this tale really leave you feeling numb, perhaps hitting close to home for some readers. Reading Breath will engross you in the world of Pikelet and his friend Loonie and all their water riding antics. It's a ride you will enjoy, if not briefly. After all this book is only around 250 pages so it's over quickly, but nevertheless well worth it!

EVEN (David Trevellyan Thriller 1)
EVEN (David Trevellyan Thriller 1)
by Andrew Grant

4.0 out of 5 stars Superb thriller, 18 Sept. 2009
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Just when you thought Jack Reacher's status could be left alone comes David Trevellyan in Andrew Grant's Even. An Intelligence Officer of the British Navy, he's a great new character with a sound first entry into a very crowded genre. Like most thrillers pacing is important, and Even excels at that, with the simple premise of David finding a body in an alley and being set up, eventually turning into something much more sinister and beyond that. David's character is built up very well in this first novel and the use of flashbacks complement this. All in all, Andrew Grant has written a superb thriller and something you won't find easy to put down! Let's hope we see more of David Trevellyan in the future!

Underwater
Underwater
by Elizabeth Diamond

3.0 out of 5 stars Good in parts, could be better in others, 18 Sept. 2009
This review is from: Underwater (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Don't get me wrong, Elizabeth Diamond is an excellent writer. However I can't help but feel readers will get more attracted to the sub-plot of the story rather than the main plot, mostly because it seems more intriguing. The book's is divided between Jane's ongoing present family life and her getting to the bottom of the disappearance of her brother years ago. For me, I felt more interested in her family, Jane's husband and son than Jane's quest of finding her lost brother. I found myself caring more for their family and what they were going through because of Jane's quest, more than Jane herself. The character development is there and rock solid, it's just a shame the same can't be said for the main story.

Lockdown
Lockdown
by Sean Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Great read and great first novel from Black., 29 Aug. 2009
This review is from: Lockdown (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Sean Black's first novel is one which is gripping, well paced and a real page turner. Which is a surprising first effort in an already busy genre. However I enjoyed this book a lot and it's well worth a read if you're into this sort of thing. Ryan Lock is an ex-soldier now working for a Pharmaceuticals company as an elite bodyguard, but when an animal protest wrong Lock is tasked with hunting down those responsible. I hope Lock will be back for another outing, he'll definately give Jack Reacher a run for his money for sure! Make sure you check this book out if you're a fan of the genre!

Page: 1 | 2