Profile for Chris W > Reviews

Chris W

Wtf?!
Wtf?!

5.0 out of 5 stars KMFDM strikes again, brilliantly, 29 April 2012
This review is from: Wtf?! (Audio CD)
KMFDM's new album WTF?! is a wonderful blend of deliciously dark, deep, gritty, and funky tracks that really showcase Sascha's ability to create epic and diverse music. If you're a fan of KMFDM's previous releases, then I guarantee you'll be a fan of this one, too. It's impossible to choose the best songs from the album because they're all amazing! Highly recommend it for fans of industrial metal.

Mass Effect 3 (Xbox 360)
Mass Effect 3 (Xbox 360)
Offered by Talbot Media

3.0 out of 5 stars Very good game, ruined by the last 15 minutes, 29 April 2012
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
The majority of the game, leading up to the ending was spectacular. If, like me, you had played the first two installments in the series, then the way they tied everything together and brought back characters from Mass Effect 1 & 2 (provided you'd imported a game, done their missions and/or kept them alive during the game) was wonderful. The graphics were brilliant - I didn't think they could get any better than Mass Effect 2, and I was proven wrong. The writing was, and always has been, brilliant, with a perfect mixture of hilariously funny and truly sad moments.

However, the ending managed to completely spoil the greatness of the rest of the game in one fell swoop. The main aspect of the Mass Effect series has always, from the beginning, been about choice, and giving the player the ability to shape their Commander Shepard (the main protagonist of the game) the way they want to, whether it reflects themselves as a person, or somebody they may aspire to be like. The end of the game is exactly the opposite of the Mass Effect series, because it completely takes away the player's choice, and basically negates every decision that the player has made throughout the past three games. It's as though everything that the player has done - over a span of approximately 100 hours of gameplay if they used an imported game from as far back as Mass Effect 1 - does not make a difference; it doesn't matter. Before its release, the game developers had specifically stated there would be up to 16 different endings to this game. There weren't 16 endings, there was 1. It may not have even been that bad of an ending if it hadn't just gone against all of the established lore in the Mass Effect universe. It was as though they had brought in a new set of writers just for the last 15 minutes of the game who had never played or read anything about Mass Effect. I'm not usually one to criticise continuity, but at the end of the game there were so many gaping plotholes it was impossible to ignore.

Another thing that I wasn't overly fond of in the game was the dialogue. The conversation trees that we had in the first two games were almost nonexistent, appearing every now and again so the player could choose the general gist of the conversation being had, and then it was just a case of sitting back and listening to it all being said automatically without any of the variation that could be had before (you could pick practically each line of dialogue you wanted your Shepard to say, ranging from kindly and charming, to neutral but diplomatic and then to sarcastic or rude). For this reason, my Commander Shepard, whom I'd spent over 100 hours playing with and shaping his personality the way I wanted, didn't feel truly mine anymore because I didn't have full control and influence over him as I had done in the previous two games.

Overall, the game is good, but with the addition of multiplayer it seems to be catering more towards the action/shooter genre rather than the RPG genre like the first two games. I'd have quite happily given this a 4 or 5 star review if I hadn't gone through the ending. But I did, and I felt it completely detracted from the brilliance of the rest of the game. If you're one of those people that lives by the ethos of 'it's not the destination, but the journey', then you will probably find this game exceptionally good. But for me, I just can't say I enjoyed the journey when the destination I arrived at was so overwhelmingly disappointing.