Profile for Sue Donim > Reviews

The World is a Wedding
The World is a Wedding
by Wendy Jones

5.0 out of 5 stars A fabulous sequel, 5 Nov. 2013
This review is from: The World is a Wedding (Hardcover)
I have been eagerly awaiting this since reading "The Thoughts and Happenings of Wilfred Price" and have not been disappointed. Another beautiful cover which makes actually holding the book a treat!
Once inside and reading I just could not put it down. As so many others have said, the only downside of the book is that it ends and we now have to wait again for more tales from Wales!
I cannot recommend it highly enough.

Noah's Compass
Noah's Compass
by Anne Tyler

2.0 out of 5 stars Underwhelming, 14 July 2012
This review is from: Noah's Compass (Paperback)
I have read a lot of Anne Tyler's work, and bar one other, have loved them all. So I was really looking forward to Noah's Compass. Oh how disappointed I was. Superficial and boring. It seemed to lack the depth of characterisation of her earlier work, and I just couldn't warm to Liam or his plight. I would still recommend Anne Tyler as an author, but steer clear of her later books. She appears to have gone off the boil.

The Thoughts & Happenings of Wilfred Price, Purveyor of Superior Funerals
The Thoughts & Happenings of Wilfred Price, Purveyor of Superior Funerals
by Wendy Jones

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 1 May 2012
This book was selected by my book club so I didn't "choose" to read it, but how glad I am that I did! From the start I fell in love with it. The cover on the hardback edition is simply beautiful. From the first page, I really didn't want to put it down. Normally a bedtime reader, this book found its way downstairs, then into my work bag so I could read a page or two when I had a few minutes to spare.
I'm no literary critic but know when I like a book. This one, for me, ticked every box. No filling with unnecessary side plots or superfluous words, it told a story that I didn't want to end. I can't wait for the sequel.