Profile for Mr. K. Akram > Reviews

Content by Mr. K. Akram

Mr. K. Akram "Alkemist" (Wembley, London)

Page: 1 | 2
Medi-Dyne Stretchrite Exercise Strap (One Colour / One Size)
Medi-Dyne Stretchrite Exercise Strap (One Colour / One Size)
Offered by Mobility Pitstop

5.0 out of 5 stars Super device for helping stretch calves and hamstrings, 23 July 2014
I have extremely tight calves and hamstrings. Many many years ago I used to be able to touch my toes, which I cannot do anymore. This device is helping me stretch my calves and hamstrings. I also suffer from chronic achilles tendonitis. This device helps me to stretch my achilles tendons gently, safely and effectively. I use this on a wooden floor with a simple thin foam yoga mat. Without this device I would have to get my son or daughter to help me stretch, which they don't also have time to do. I have found that even doing 5-10 minutes of stretching with this each day has helped me tremendously. The most noticeable effect for me is that after doing stretches in the evening I am able to walk without my usual stiffness in the lower legs the following morning. I'm hoping to slowly build up the stretch and start touching my toes again!

Sennheiser Hd 215 Closed Back Headphones With High Passive Noise Attenuation
Sennheiser Hd 215 Closed Back Headphones With High Passive Noise Attenuation

5.0 out of 5 stars Best headphones I have ever had easily, 5 Jun 2014
I've had these for a few years now and they are superb in every way.
They leak very little sound.

My previous favourite headphones were professional Pioneer DJ headphones - those are not made anymore and my pair lasted 12-13 years. The HD 215's probably sound better.

The bass is not overpowering like the Dre's. Lets be clear - too much bass means the sound is *not* sounding like the artist wanted you to hear them. I've always found Dre's too bass heavy (and also liable to damage your eardrums?)

I use the HD 215's primarily with premium Spotify which has a better bit rate (they say).

I also use a FIIO portable amplifier:

The combination of the FIIO and the HD 215's gives me near perfect sound. I couldn't ask for better.
I only discovered the FIIO about a year ago, but it is a gamechanger, now the amplification is done by the FIIO rather than relying on just the built in amp on my MacBook Air ... I was amazed how much difference a £20 gadget could make!

But this review is for the HD 215's - they are exceptional ... no doubt.

CHENNAI EXPRESS [2 DISC COLLECTORS SET]
CHENNAI EXPRESS [2 DISC COLLECTORS SET]
Dvd ~ Shahrukh Khan
Offered by SUPREME DVD LTD

1.0 out of 5 stars Really didn't like this fillum, 16 Jan 2014
I am a SRK fan, but this movie is just rubbish. The funny scenes are just not very funny. No real laugh-out-loud moments. A few references to other SRK fillums - but so what? It just didn't 'click'! I don't know why this did so well in India. This is three hours of my life that I won't get back. I don't know why they made this fillum. I liked some of the locations, but generally the fillum didn't flow, seemed like it was stitched together. Poor showing I'm afraid. Not in the same league as Kal Ho Na No etc.

The Man Who Plants Trees
The Man Who Plants Trees

5.0 out of 5 stars If you love trees you should buy this book, 1 Aug 2013
Jim Robbins has written an amazing book about trees and about the man who planted trees. He discusses at length the importance of trees and how they regulate and maintain the global eco-system. He also describes how the destruction of the forests is creating a potential catastrophe for mankind and every other living species. A timely and hugely important book. For tree lovers and non tree lovers - this is a must read.

From the preface:

"Trees are responsible for half the photosynthesis on the land, taking in energy from sunlight and transforming it to leaves, where that energy is usable by insects and mammals and birds. They are highly evolved water management specialists ...".

Read this book - you will never look at another tree again in the same way. If you love nature, plants, animals and the planet - read this book.

Superforce: Search for a Grand Unified Theory of Nature (Penguin science)
Superforce: Search for a Grand Unified Theory of Nature (Penguin science)
by P.C.W. Davies

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is amazing, 21 Mar 2011
I came across this book on a recommendation from my lecturer whilst I was studying Computer Science at the Univerisity of Westminster in 1988. I was blown away by the concepts and the ideas of Grand Unification Theory. A truely groundbreaking title. I'm amazed it hasn't been reviewed before.

The Story of Science: Power, Proof and Passion
The Story of Science: Power, Proof and Passion
by Michael Mosley

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb introduction to the history of Science, 6 May 2010
I watched the second episode of History of Science (matter) on Tuesday and today saw this book by chance at WH Smith. I had a flick through during my lunch hour and was pleasantly suprised to see that this is much much more than the TV series. The book goes into far more depth. In the section on Newton it covers his famous F=ma formula as well as pages from the original books, including reproductions of Galileo's drawings of the moon. Absolutely superb in every way, would give this 6 stars if I could. I'm ordering on Amazon today!

Why Vote Green
Why Vote Green
by Shahrar Ali

5.0 out of 5 stars Challenging times call for radical measures, 23 Mar 2010
This review is from: Why Vote Green (Paperback)
This book is a superb overview of the Green strategy. The colossal issues that are facing us in the the next 50-100 years are only addressed by the Green sustainable strategy. The Greens have a long term view and a long term solution which is described in detail within this book. Environment, employment, human rights, waste, healthcare, transport, poverty and much more are covered in detail in this cohesive and lucid book.

If you are sick of current politics, if you despair at the dishonesty and lack of accountability, and are looking for a real workable solution, you should read this book, even if you have never considered voting Green before.

Inside Microsoft® SQL Server(TM) 2005: T-SQL Querying (Solid Quality Learning)
Inside Microsoft® SQL Server(TM) 2005: T-SQL Querying (Solid Quality Learning)
by Dejan Sarka

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb and detailed SQL Server quering book, 8 Oct 2009
This book covers ground in SQL that I was unfamiliar with and explains it all very competently.

The topics I found interesting where those regarding: aggregating and pivoting data - the OVER clause, and the CUBE and ROLLUP clauses. He also covers TOP and APPLY in detail.

A very good chapter on Graphs, Trees, Hierarchies and Recursive Queries.

I found some of the content quite challenging, and had to go over a few times before I 'got' it.

The Logic puzzles in the Appendix are very entertaining and quite relevant too.

I am looking forward to the 2008 version of this book, which I understand is even better than this one!

Highly recommended. If you want to take your SQL knowledge a notch higher as a developer, you can't go wrong with this book. I would also recommend "The SQL Cookbook" in the O'Reilly Series.

Song of Kali (Fantasy Masterworks)
Song of Kali (Fantasy Masterworks)
by Dan Simmons

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally underrated!, 9 Jun 2009
I first read this book in 1989. I found it unputtdownable then. Now, twenty years later I got hold of copy on ebay and lent it to a friend. My friend was also spellbound and finished it in three days.

The book brings Calcutta alive in way that I have not seen any author do. The story is well paced. There is mystery and suspense. The brooding, evil underside of Calcutta is really well structured. Not that Calcutta is like that - but its a fictional device that works very well.

The shock ending really got me - I was truely suprised and upset - so I won't spoil it for you.

The way he creates M Das as a student of Tagore is entirely believeable. The character Krishna leaves many unanswered questions. I would LOVE to see a sequel to this book.

I would recommend this books to anyone interested in India / Kali.

Sholay [DVD] [NTSC]
Sholay [DVD] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Amittabh Bachchan

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the all time bests!, 21 May 2009
This review is from: Sholay [DVD] [NTSC] (DVD)
This film is just amazing. I have so many favourite bits... 1. When Dharmendhra is going to commit "sooside" because Basanti won't marry him, 2. 'Kitne aadmi the?' - surely the best known line in the history of Indian cinema?? 3. Amitabh taking Dharmendhra's wedding proposal to Basanti's mother!

The film had it all - comedy, action, high adventure, a truely believeable evil villain, almost perfect musical score, excellent pace and timing. A fanatastic ending that still brings tears to my eyes.

I can't recommend this film enough. Would love to see it released on Blu-ray and 5.1 surround sound .... wow!

Page: 1 | 2