Profile for Blitterbug > Reviews

Content by Blitterbug

Blitterbug

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12
Affute Fashion Mens Watch Mesh Band Japanese Analog Quartz Movt Thin Dial Date Wrist Watches,Black
Offered by Shenzhenshi Xinwochi Keji

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievable!, 18 July 2016
This watch is simply beautiful. It was only £30, but includes a date window, which was a must-have for me. I spent about £100 on a similar 'ultra thin' watch a couple of years back and, while I still have that watch and like it a lot, I can't help feel a little bitter that only a year or two later the ultra-thin style could be had for a third the price.

Obviously, the ultra-thin class of digital watch at these price points are not really ultra-thin. You'd need to spend many, many hundreds of pounds to possess a genuinely thin digital-analogue watch. These particular watches are normally around 8mm or so thick in the centre, but taper toward the edges which gives the perfect illusion of a watch that appears only 2-3mm thick.

I chose this exact model partly for the date window but also because many others in this class had hard-to-read dials. For example, silver hands on a silver dial is not a good fit! This model has gold hands against a black watch face, and is very easy to read at a glance. The hour markers do not have numbers, either Roman or Arabic, and are as a result that bit more stylish, and the unusual addition of minute markers on a dress watch doesn't make the face look 'busy' as you might imagine. The watch band is braided steel, normally an expensive option on big-brand watches (hello Apple) and looks utterly gorgeous. The overall look is of extreme elegance and style - all for only £30!

MINMIN GOOD TOTORO PLUSH DOLL NEW TOY FAMILY(45CM) +Free Gift
MINMIN GOOD TOTORO PLUSH DOLL NEW TOY FAMILY(45CM) +Free Gift

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic giant plushy!, 18 Jun. 2016
I'm really bowled over by this plushy. It's huge - I know how tall 45cm is but this toy is *fat* too! So it seems a lot bigger than I expected. The seller also included a free small plushy of Catbus, which is really cool. I was a little worried initially by the tight plastic bag that seemed to be crushing Totoro's limbs but when this was removed the plushy regained its full shape immediately.

Oregon Scientific CW101 Sky Carve Crystal Weather Station
Oregon Scientific CW101 Sky Carve Crystal Weather Station

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, just beautiful, 1 Nov. 2015
As a weather-obsessed style freak I'd had my eye on this for months before deciding to try it out. It's pretty expensive as weather stations go, with very limited display capabilities - literally just three glass 'icons' that pulse with an appropriate colour - but this was kind of the whole point. I've loads of digital weather stations, and apps on my tablet and phone, and these give me everything from 3 or 5 day forecasts to detailed timelines of precipitation, humidity and hours of sunshine. But this weather station provides useful at-a-glance data with elegant, clean simplicity. If I want my fancy charts and radar plots I reach for my phone. If I just want the overall picture I can now glance at my shelf and see either a pulsing orange-yellow sun, a white cloud or a blue raindrop, while the dot matrix display on the front (which is styled to give the effect of an elegant font) backs this up with digital temperature data for both inside and outside the house. Basically, this weather station is just lovely to look at and gives me huge satisfaction all day long.

The initial setup was a little fiddly but not difficult. The solid crystal weather icons don't clip safely on to the weather station in any way, they just perch on top, so I left them in the box until I was sure the unit was locked on to both the time signal and the external sensor module. I also made sure to toss away the rubbish sensor batteries that came in the box, as they were branded 'Golden Power' and I know from experience that sensor modules need a decent set of alkalines. The next thing was to plug the unit in near the window and hit the RCC button underneath to force a sync with the time signal. This took about ten minutes, so you do need to be patient, but it worked perfectly. Then I slid the back off the sensor module, inserted the new batteries and pressed the module's reset button located inside the battery compartment, as per the instructions, before sliding the case back together.

The weather station is motion sensitive, and is supposed to flip between the time and temperature displays in response to a hand wave in front of the unit. In practice this doesn't work all that well and it took me several tries to bring up the 'OUT' temperature on the display, but I was gratified to see it was reporting a temperature from the sensor I'd just set up, and was receiving data on channel 1, so that was good. But further waves of the hand brought up blank values for a further two channels, which didn't seem right - I didn't want it to keep cycling past unused channels during daily use. The fix, apparently, is to wait until the unit displays the actual sensor data and then press the SENSOR button on the bottom of the unit. I wasn't too sure about this but it seemed to work, and now only data from the working channel is ever displayed.

I chose to set the repeat button to cycle through the three displays of time, indoor temp and outdoor temp. I did this because all the hand waving gets annoying, and I don't really mind the display changing every five seconds. The final thing I did was find a suitable spot for the outdoor sensor. I slowly moved it away from the main unit and then out of the back door (I didn't want to drop the link as in my experience it can be a real pain to resync) and placed it on the lower metal shelf of my barbecue. Any further away and I was afraid the signal might not reach the main unit. Hopefully my chosen spot will give some shade, and also protect it from most of the rain. It's supposed to be weather proof, but who wants to tempt fate?

In conclusion this beautiful ornamental weather station is the perfect choice for the style conscious, or as a peace offering to a long-suffering spouse driven mad by ugly, purely functional gadgetry cluttering up every surface of their home.

Acctim 71459 Yale Alarm Clock, Blue, Radio Controlled
Acctim 71459 Yale Alarm Clock, Blue, Radio Controlled
Offered by Robert Grant of London

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely perfect!, 22 Jun. 2015
I have tried so many different bedside clocks but I have always found it difficult to sleep through the loud ticking. This beauty is totally silent and the sweep hand moves smoothly rather than in jerks, which is why it is silent. Add to this the elegant style and it's a winner. The small stand isn't much of an issue, though like another reviewer I did manage to knock it over a few times, but it's just so stylish I can forgive this minor design flaw. Being radio controlled means one less clock to mess with twice a year, so I'm very happy with this.

iPad Notebook Kindle Surface Laptop Protective Travel Aluminum Flight Carry Case
Offered by Allendale Stores

3.0 out of 5 stars Reasonable for the price, 22 Jun. 2015
If this product hadn't been damaged it would have had five stars. The issue I have is that even though it arrived sealed in an undamaged clear bag inside a sturdy cardboard box, the lid was badly scratched. This isn't a random event in my opinion; it would seem to indicate a general lack of care in the factory, and because of this I declined to exchange the item. And because I needed the case I didn't want to send it back for a refund. Perhaps if it wasn't such a hassle to send it back then I might have bothered to exchange it, but I couldn't be sure the next one wouldn't be similarly marked, plus it really is a pain when you live so far from the post office.

Mother of Eden (Dark Eden 2)
Mother of Eden (Dark Eden 2)
by Chris Beckett

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome follow-up, 13 Jun. 2015
Awesome tale, initially spoiled by hideous ebook (now corrected).
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 19, 2015 12:26 PM BST

AONS PCI-E PCI Express 5.1 6 channels 32-bit 3D Digital Audio PC Sound Card
AONS PCI-E PCI Express 5.1 6 channels 32-bit 3D Digital Audio PC Sound Card
Offered by nawouk

5.0 out of 5 stars It works perfectly, 31 May 2015
I needed this for a Windows 8 PC with a blown on-board sound chip. When it arrived, the accompanying driver CD had a massive gash right through it, and wouldn't play in any PC I own. And as Windows Update couldn't recognise the card, I had to do a LOT of detective work to locate the correct driver. The vendor was brilliant and has refunded me due to the horrible ordeal I had, I can't thank them enough.

Here is how I located the driver, for the technically minded:

Note: Never use scam sites or programs like Driver Detective. Open Device Manager, right-click on the hardware item showing an exclamation mark and choose Properties. Then click the Details tab on the dialog that opens. Now click in the top-most drop-down box and choose 'Hardware IDs'. You will see a bunch of lines like this:

PCI\VEN_13F6&DEV_0111&SUBSYS_011113F6&REV_10

You need the Vendor Code and the Device Code. In the above example (which is for this actual sound card) these are 13F6 and 0111 respectively. Google for 'Vendor ID 13F6' and check all results for the device code of 0111 and you will find a download link. Be careful not to hit a scam site. Once I'd identified this as a C-Media 8738, I went to C-Media's website and downloaded from there (had to create an account).

The card works beautifully now.

Tikky Liner Pen 0.5 mm with Gel Refill Ink Level Window Refillable New
Tikky Liner Pen 0.5 mm with Gel Refill Ink Level Window Refillable New

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible - Avoid, 14 Mar. 2015
I ordered two of these Rotring pens. I've never had any problems with this brand before - in fact it's a premium brand much admired in the draughting industry - but both of my new pens write for about half a dozen words then the ink stops flowing. There's plenty of ink left, so I don't know if this was really, really old stock where the ink has 'gone off' somehow, but the writing action is horrible and scratchy even when the ink does flow - which is only for a few moments. Utter rubbish.

The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time - Game Guide - Cheats, Cheat Codes, GameShark Codes, Great Fairy Locations, Fairy Fountain Locations - N64

1.0 out of 5 stars Utter Rubbish - Avoid, 12 Mar. 2015
I mistakenly assumed this was a game guide, as it was priced similarly to the Kindle edition of Majora's Mask. Total swindle. Just a bunch of cheat codes and 'tips', if you can call them that. No images, no walkthroughs. I could have knocked this together and self-published this myself and done a damned sight better than this idiot. Absolutely furious.

ESYNiC 2 Way HDMI Splitter Amplifier Switch-1 input 2 output Switcher Support 3D Full HD 1080P HDTV
Offered by IGEEKER

1.0 out of 5 stars Beyond Awful, 28 Feb. 2015
Bought for a very simple task; I needed the audio split out from the HDMI signal to my new monitor, which has no speakers nor headphone jack to direct the audio to my amp. Simple, I thought. Get a nice amplified splitter and use a little gismo I bought recently that takes HDMI input and outputs it as RGB video with a separate 3.5mm audio socket. Lovely.

Except that audio pulsed up and down horribly with the beat of the test track I used. I looked at the indicator lamps on the splitter and sure enough the LEDs were flaring at the beat peaks, going dim inbetween. Hmm. I looked at the power lead, which is a short USB cable with a stubby barrel plug on the end; I was amazed to see the insulation at the barrel end had cracked, exposing the core wires. But no shorts that I could see - basically a nasty, nasty little cable with brittle, soft insulation at the barrel end. Still looked good, so I wondered if the USB socket was dishing out enough amps. I plugged the nasty lead into a beefy USB adapter that supplies up to 2A for use with big tablets like iPads. Same thing.

So basically, this splitter cannot drive both outputs properly. The video was fine. No problems there. But the one thing I needed this for was to split the audio out. I knew a powered splitter was needed and hunted carefully through the many options available on Amazon and bought this due to the glowing reviews.

I don't know if I just got a bad one, but anyway I'm left with a useless lump that will now go in the bin.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 16, 2015 5:23 AM BST