Profile for Gem Scotland > Reviews

Gem Scotland

The Realm: The True history behind Game of Thrones
The Realm: The True history behind Game of Thrones

1.0 out of 5 stars speculative drivel, 22 April 2014
As a massive thrones fan & history teacher I was so looking forward to reading this book. I was massively disappointed. I was expecting intelligent analysis and comprehensive comparisons and what I got was brief speculative drivel followed by poor and disjointed historical narrative. No introductory or concluding chapters, no clear thematic or chronological structure. My S4 pupils can write better history.

The Book Thief
The Book Thief

5.0 out of 5 stars not what I expected, 10 April 2014
This review is from: The Book Thief (Kindle Edition)
This book works at many levels. It was recommended to me by a pupil and I felt I ought to read it to help make their learning more relevant. At first I didn't like the disjointed approach and deaths way of narrating,but by he end, the anticpation of how rather than the if of those who died was far more touching and poignant.

Sonnics 640GB 2.5 inch USB External Pocket Sized Hard Drive for PC, Laptops, Macs and Playstation 3 - Blue

5.0 out of 5 stars No complaints, 21 Nov 2013
Bought this as a one stop shop portable storage for all my lesson plans, videos and resources which I could work on from home & at school. It was easy to set up on my apple laptop and school PC - just plug in and go. It's been used every day since I bought it, being pulled in and out of handbags and it's taken it well. No complaints at all. Does everything I need it to without any fuss.

The Devil's Queen
The Devil's Queen

4.0 out of 5 stars enjoyable read, 12 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Devil's Queen (Kindle Edition)
Great read, giving you a rich insight into the life and times of a notorious historical woman. As always writing historical fiction from a single figures point of view offers a distinctive perspective on a period that might not reflect the reality of the time. I was also slightly frustrated at the necessity to resort to explaining motives with magic. Cold hard political ambition is motivation enough. However, the quality of the writing and gripping narrative more than makes up for it.

A Wish After Midnight
A Wish After Midnight

4.0 out of 5 stars Grippping, 22 April 2013
Very accessible & enjoyable throughout. Definitely see me recommending this book in class. Would've loved to know what happened to Judah though.

The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared
The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared

5.0 out of 5 stars Refreshing, 15 April 2013
A lovely story told in the simplest of ways covering the main themes of world history during the 20th century. I loved how happy go lucky the main characters were which even encouraged me to slow down my own pace of life.

Winter in Madrid
Winter in Madrid

3.0 out of 5 stars Full of promise, 11 April 2013
This review is from: Winter in Madrid (Kindle Edition)
This book had the capacity to be pretty amazing. It started well with a nice slow and detailed pace giving you lots of evidently well researched details about wartime Spain. However, some of the characters were rather superficial & I found it hard to really sympathise. The last 30% of the book was far too rushed & the quality of detail suffered. I was looking forward to a good twist at the end but was left disappointed & cheated.