Profile for Nardies > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
TP-LINK TL-PA511KIT 500 Mbps Gigabit Powerline Adapter - Twin Pack
TP-LINK TL-PA511KIT 500 Mbps Gigabit Powerline Adapter - Twin Pack

3.0 out of 5 stars Not all I'd hoped for, 21 July 2012
Let me start by saying I've currently got some 2 year old 200mbps powerline adapters. They've been doing the job I needed just fine, but I wanted to start streaming some HD content to another room so started to look for something with a bit more speed and hopefully stability.

The TP-Link offering seemed like the best value option being ~ £50, so I gave them a go. Everything worked straight out of the box as you'd expect, and HD content was judder free so I was pleased. However, before deciding my decision was a good one, I ran some diagnostics to determine the actual throughput.

Using LanSpeed Test, my 200mbps Cisco gear was returning 42 mbps to the room I needed it in, by comparison, the TP-Link adapter returned 51mbps. Reverting back to my older gear to watch HD videos, it was actually coping fine, with the max usage being about 10-15mbps for the MKV files. All of my connections are gigabit connections, so there's no problem on that front.

For the price, I would have hoped for a marked improvement, I'm going to try changing cables for Cat6 to see what, if any, kind of improvements I can achieve, but as my experience shows, speed is really determined by your wiring and achieving anything like 500mbps is unlikey.

Turkish 100% Cotton Face Cloth, White, 450gsm, 30cm x 30cm
Turkish 100% Cotton Face Cloth, White, 450gsm, 30cm x 30cm

4.0 out of 5 stars Great value for money!, 7 July 2012
These are a bargain, I bought some on the strength of the reviews to replace some horribly threadbare cheap flannels I had. These have a great thread count and for the price are a bargain!

Philex 27790R Flat Digital TV Aerial
Philex 27790R Flat Digital TV Aerial
Offered by THE ELECTRICAL SHOP

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good for an indoor aerial, 7 July 2012
I've wasted a lot of time in the past using indoor aerials to try and receive either terrestrial TV or Freeview, all promise a lot and in the main delivered virtually nothing.

I did a bit of research before taking a chance with this one, as being in a rental property I can't tunnel cables through the walls.

Set up was simplicity, finding the strongest point for reception wasn't that difficult, and once I'd got the Freeview tuner to perform a scan I had around 60 channels picked up, plus all the radio channels too.

Picture quality is as good as can be expected through an aerial, but breakups are infrequent.

A point worth mentioning though, if you're miles away from a transmitter, don't expect it to work miracles, there's a reason why most aerials are outside!

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Didn't work, 11 Jun. 2012
Having accidentally made some white towels turn yellow I thought I'd give this a go.

Clearly the towels were dried as I couldn't keep them wet until the item was delivered, and this may have had an affect on the result, but even so, followed the instructions and the towels came out exactly the same.

Total Spanish (Learn Spanish with the Michel Thomas Method)
Total Spanish (Learn Spanish with the Michel Thomas Method)
by Michel Thomas
Edition: Audio CD

4.0 out of 5 stars A really great way of learning Spanish, though with detractors, 29 May 2012
Having done this course, I'd say it's been the most successful approach I've had to learning how to build sentences in Spanish. You don't have to think too much as this course gives you the basic structure you need to handle yourself with native speakers. However, I think people expecting to learn this course, then be able to easily communicate clearly in a Spanish speaking country may be slightly optimistic, but what it will give you is the ability to at least muddle through and have yourself understood.

I think the main detractors are:

1) The annoying chap who's supposed to be learning the course with you, he keeps making silly mistakes and it breaks up the learning too much. He should have been binned.
2) The stresses on pronunciation are a little far fetched, having worked in Spain I know full well that they speak so quickly they don't have time to worry about stressing syllables.

That said, I've tried Coffee Break Spanish and Rosetta Stone in the past. This course has actually made the sentence structure stick as it all makes sense. Give it a go, use it as a starting block, then build up your vocabulary elsewhere.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 10, 2013 1:02 PM BST

Cuisinart CPK17U Multi Temp 1.7 Litre Jug Kettle Brushed Stainless Steel
Cuisinart CPK17U Multi Temp 1.7 Litre Jug Kettle Brushed Stainless Steel

5.0 out of 5 stars Boils water, 18 May 2012
After my Breville Brita Starship Enterprise kettle broke for the second time, I decided to replace it with something with less faff. So I bought this, you pour water in, it boils the water, you used the boiled water for whatever you want.

As with all kettles longevity is the key, this one seems like it was built to last, only time will tell though!

Edwin Jagger Black Porcelain Shaving Soap Bowl With Handle
Edwin Jagger Black Porcelain Shaving Soap Bowl With Handle

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit too narrow, and to expensive for what it is, 17 May 2012
I bought this more out of boredom than anything else, it certainly looks the part in my bathroom, however it's not heavy enough and more importantly, wide enough to help build up a decent lather. Given the price I'd say it's OK, but nothing better than that.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 15, 2013 10:36 PM GMT

Jual Curve - Curved Compact Walnut and Black Desk
Jual Curve - Curved Compact Walnut and Black Desk
Offered by BA YEOMANS & SON

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid, attractive desk., 17 May 2012
This desk of pretty decent quality and looks the part when fully assembled. It's sturdy and the materials are of a decent standard. The modesty panel is a bit flimsy but it's only there to hide any cables which it certainly does. The instructions on the other hand are pretty poor, especially for fitting the keyboard shelf and monitor stand, so much so they're actually wrong in places. That said, if you've got a bit of nous you should be able to work it out...!

Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion
Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion
by Robert B., PhD Cialdini

3.0 out of 5 stars A good book - though could do with an update, 10 May 2012
I wanted to understand more about being more influential, and how to stop being the result of other's influence. In that regard, I think this book will help me.

That said, at times it was a laborious read, the first three chapters especially. The examples he comes up with to explain different types of influence are now very dated (it appears either from the late 80s or early 90s), as such I think it would help if more modern day examples where used, I also felt that at times the author would either go off on a tangent or talk for pages at a time about a given scenario, when his point could have been summed up more quickly. I also feel some of the 'tests' that were apparently conducted seem to be made up to define a point, this may not be true of course, but he seems to have a lot of friends have situations that help him illustrate different types of influence...

That said, I've learned about influence, and will now attempt to put the teachings into practice and ultimately, that's all that matters.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 9, 2012 9:04 PM BST

Casio - EQW-M1100DB-1AER - Gents Watch - Quartz - Analogue - Stainless Steel Silver Strap
Offered by Design4stars

5.0 out of 5 stars Why bother with expensive time pieces?!, 2 Dec. 2011
I've been pining after an expensive watch for a while and during a recent trip to America, I was nearly sold on a Tag Heuer Carrera. It represented a big saving from the purchase price in the UK, but still would have ended up costing £1800. For a watch. A short walk away was a stall for the Edifice range, and I tried on the M1100DB. I have to say that although the Tag watch is very nice, it didn't feel that different from this Edifice watch. Clearly the Tag is premium time keeping and will hold it's value very well, but in terms of the fun factor, the Edifice sold it for me.

A chap at work has just bought an Omega Sea Master, he asked me if the movement on mine was automatic. I told him 'No, it's battery powered, but the face is solar powered, and it has neat powering saving measures, is an atomic watch, a world clock, as well as the pointlessly detailed chronograph'. He was genuinely gutted, having spent the best part of £2500 on a watch that doesn't have as many features as this watch.

I find myself staring at it, as it looks so good, so industrial, and it has a great weight to it, it feels like a really good piece of kit and all for a tenth of the price of the more premium watches?! I have no doubt that I'll still end up buying a premium time piece in the future, but for now, this is my favourite watch, buy one and be proud to tell people it's a Casio, just so you can enjoy their expressions of puzzlement/amazement.

Brilliant watch!