Profile for Nardies > Reviews

Content by Nardies

Nardies

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
5 Cities Lightweight Cabin Approved Hard Wearing and Light Weight Expandable Trolley Wheeled Luggage Bag (18 inch & 21 inch) (21", Black\Red)

3.0 out of 5 stars Very hit and miss, 12 Mar 2014
I've bought two bags from the 5 Cities range, the 9980 18" Aerolite bag and the black/red 21" bag.

The aerolite while small, is very light, well made, has nice smooth functioning zips, a good extending handle and feet that hold it upright as you'd expect. It's a good bag for the money.

I wanted a little more room though, so bought the 5 Cities black/red one thinking it would be the same story. Unfortunately I was wrong, the handle fails to extend properly it gets caught when you try to fully extend it and just feels flimsy. The zips are not the smooth affair on the aerolite bags, and worst of all, when laden with clothes etc, it falls over. I got to my gate yesterday went to hand over my passport and boarding pass, in doing so, the bag fell over and hit an old lady. Why is it so had to put some feet on the bag that actually work?!

So to sum up, the aerolite bags are decent, though have no extension outwards, and the 5 cities bag are a reduction in quality, but have more space. You choose what's best for you!

Travalo Easy Refill Travel Perfume Atomizer Spray Bottle in Perfect Pink
Travalo Easy Refill Travel Perfume Atomizer Spray Bottle in Perfect Pink

1.0 out of 5 stars Very effective way of wasting expensive Eau de Toilette, 13 Feb 2014
Eau de Toilette is not cheap, and taking it abroad on hang luggage is not possible given the size restrictions, so I thought this little invention would be a great idea, and it is. Just a great idea, poorly and cheaply executed. I can get the fluid to transfer over easily enough, only for it to have emptied itself after a couple of days. Clearly the valve that lets your fragrance in, is also as good as letting it out.

Avoid.

Chin Up Pull Up Door Gym Exercise Bar Gym Workout Training Fitness - Black
Chin Up Pull Up Door Gym Exercise Bar Gym Workout Training Fitness - Black
Offered by We R Sports™

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid, sturdy and cheap - Perfect for home GHRs, 17 Nov 2013
I've been told by my physio that I needed to strengthen my hamstrings, with glute ham raises being the best exercise for this. I didn't want to rely on having to go to the gym to do this, and needed something to lock my feet out under.

Going by the strength of the reviews I thought I'd give this a go, for £9 it was certainly worth a punt. The instructions were fairly basic, with some funny translations. At first I couldn't get the bar to fit tightly, as I was twisting each end (to get them to extend) manually. Only by chance I realised you line up, and twist the middle of of the bar to push both sides out. I managed to get it to extend so much my door frame creaked with the strain, and bar was more than enough to support my 85kg of weight without a hint of budging, and no screws/brackets were required.

Top buy!

Honeywell HO-5500RE Oscillating Tower Fan with remote control & Gliding Grill Function - black

4.0 out of 5 stars Good fan, let down by a lack of thought, 30 Aug 2013
I wanted a fan for the hot spells this summer, and wanted something relatively quiet that I could have on during the night. Cheap ones seemed to be extremely noise and of poor build quality, expensive ones were great, but £200+ for a fan just seemed obscene, so I chose this.

Purely as a fan, this is excellent, very powerful, great cooling effect. The oscillating function is good and quiet. The build quality is sturdy enough and the added remote control is great.

Where I think it's let down is by the different modes it has, which just seem superfluous. The night mode in partcilular is poorly thought out. It turns the fan on and off constantly, which I found even more difficult to sleep with. Also, you'd think night mode would turn off the super bright LEDs, but no, it turns another one on!

Just leave the fan on low, which is quiet enough to sleep with (but not whisper quiet by any stretch) and put some gaffa tape over the LEDs!

SENA CORSA CASE FOR iPhone 4/4S Black Red
SENA CORSA CASE FOR iPhone 4/4S Black Red

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Case, 17 Sep 2012
I had the Sena Ultraslim case for the iPhone 4, and somehow managed to lose it, so I opted for this as the replacement.

It is rather expensive for case, but when you put it into perspective, the phone that sits in it is around £600 in itself, and you want to protect it right?

The leather is top quality, the little strap feature that enables you to easily remove the phone from the case is a nice touch (compared to the ultraslim) and the red stripe, as other have mentioned, is a nice touch indeed.

Sena make the best cases for the Apple devices in my view, and this one is no different.

TP-Link TL-PA511KIT 500 Mbps Gigabit Powerline Adapter - Twin Pack
TP-Link TL-PA511KIT 500 Mbps Gigabit Powerline Adapter - Twin Pack
Offered by In2digital

3.0 out of 5 stars Not all I'd hoped for, 21 July 2012
Let me start by saying I've currently got some 2 year old 200mbps powerline adapters. They've been doing the job I needed just fine, but I wanted to start streaming some HD content to another room so started to look for something with a bit more speed and hopefully stability.

The TP-Link offering seemed like the best value option being ~ £50, so I gave them a go. Everything worked straight out of the box as you'd expect, and HD content was judder free so I was pleased. However, before deciding my decision was a good one, I ran some diagnostics to determine the actual throughput.

Using LanSpeed Test, my 200mbps Cisco gear was returning 42 mbps to the room I needed it in, by comparison, the TP-Link adapter returned 51mbps. Reverting back to my older gear to watch HD videos, it was actually coping fine, with the max usage being about 10-15mbps for the MKV files. All of my connections are gigabit connections, so there's no problem on that front.

For the price, I would have hoped for a marked improvement, I'm going to try changing cables for Cat6 to see what, if any, kind of improvements I can achieve, but as my experience shows, speed is really determined by your wiring and achieving anything like 500mbps is unlikey.

Turkish 100% Cotton Face Cloth, White, 450gsm, 30cm x 30cm
Turkish 100% Cotton Face Cloth, White, 450gsm, 30cm x 30cm
Offered by towelsrus

4.0 out of 5 stars Great value for money!, 7 July 2012
These are a bargain, I bought some on the strength of the reviews to replace some horribly threadbare cheap flannels I had. These have a great thread count and for the price are a bargain!

Philex 27790R Flat Digital TV Aerial
Philex 27790R Flat Digital TV Aerial
Offered by BUNWELLS UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good for an indoor aerial, 7 July 2012
I've wasted a lot of time in the past using indoor aerials to try and receive either terrestrial TV or Freeview, all promise a lot and in the main delivered virtually nothing.

I did a bit of research before taking a chance with this one, as being in a rental property I can't tunnel cables through the walls.

Set up was simplicity, finding the strongest point for reception wasn't that difficult, and once I'd got the Freeview tuner to perform a scan I had around 60 channels picked up, plus all the radio channels too.

Picture quality is as good as can be expected through an aerial, but breakups are infrequent.

A point worth mentioning though, if you're miles away from a transmitter, don't expect it to work miracles, there's a reason why most aerials are outside!

Dylon Colour Run Remover, laundry, 2 sachets
Dylon Colour Run Remover, laundry, 2 sachets
Offered by Maunders

1.0 out of 5 stars Didn't work, 11 Jun 2012
Having accidentally made some white towels turn yellow I thought I'd give this a go.

Clearly the towels were dried as I couldn't keep them wet until the item was delivered, and this may have had an affect on the result, but even so, followed the instructions and the towels came out exactly the same.

Total Spanish (Learn Spanish with the Michel Thomas Method)
Total Spanish (Learn Spanish with the Michel Thomas Method)
by Michel Thomas
Edition: Audio CD

4.0 out of 5 stars A really great way of learning Spanish, though with detractors, 29 May 2012
Having done this course, I'd say it's been the most successful approach I've had to learning how to build sentences in Spanish. You don't have to think too much as this course gives you the basic structure you need to handle yourself with native speakers. However, I think people expecting to learn this course, then be able to easily communicate clearly in a Spanish speaking country may be slightly optimistic, but what it will give you is the ability to at least muddle through and have yourself understood.

I think the main detractors are:

1) The annoying chap who's supposed to be learning the course with you, he keeps making silly mistakes and it breaks up the learning too much. He should have been binned.
2) The stresses on pronunciation are a little far fetched, having worked in Spain I know full well that they speak so quickly they don't have time to worry about stressing syllables.

That said, I've tried Coffee Break Spanish and Rosetta Stone in the past. This course has actually made the sentence structure stick as it all makes sense. Give it a go, use it as a starting block, then build up your vocabulary elsewhere.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 10, 2013 1:02 PM BST

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5