Profile for Alistair Kelman > Reviews

Content by Alistair Kelman

Alistair Kelman "Ali Kelman" (London, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
The Undercover Economist Strikes Back: How to Run or Ruin an Economy
The Undercover Economist Strikes Back: How to Run or Ruin an Economy
by Tim Harford

5.0 out of 5 stars An easy read on a difficult subject, 2 Sep 2013
According to John Maynard Keynes "The master economist ... must be mathematician, historian, statesman, philosopher-in some degree. He must understand symbols and speak in words. He must contemplate the particular in terms of the general, and touch abstract and concrete in the same flight of thought. He must study the present in the light of the past for the purposes of the future. No part of man's nature or his institutions must lie entirely outside his regard. He must be purposeful and disinterested in a simultaneous mood; as aloof and incorruptible as an artist, yet sometimes as near the earth as a politician."

So even a very bright fifteen year old is not going to be able to understand macroeconomics - it will need half a lifetime of professional training and experience to get him to a point where he can grasp even the basics. Unless, that is, he has Tim Harford as his guide. Using the Q&A Socratic debate format Tim leads the reader towards an understanding of why macroeconomics is so hard, why no solutions have yet been found and maps out potential sources of hope for future solutions. Along the way we encounter some of the latest thinking on behavioural economics, on why economics growth can continue forever, on why happiness economics is just plain weird and on how the Euro is like Dr Strangelove's doomsday device with Greece playing the role of Major Kong.

Although this book could be read on its own I feel it is better to read The Undercover Economist first so that the reader has a basic understanding of microeconomic concepts before embarking on "The UE-SB". The takeaway from this book is different from his earlier works. Reading it has persuaded me that we need a long term inflation rate of more than 2% to get us out of this depression but I believe that the 4% rate that Tim suggests is too high. Let's see what Mark Carney does over 2014.

Buy it - Read it - Enjoy it

GCB: The Complete First Season (2012
GCB: The Complete First Season (2012
Dvd ~ Kristin Chenoweth
Offered by supermart_usa

5.0 out of 5 stars A good reason to hack your DVD Region code in the UK, 17 Aug 2013
I saw the trailer for this, loved it soo much that I hacked the Region Codes on my DVD players so that I could buy a copy of this and watch it at home. It was worth it - but remember to buy your copy from UK based companies or you could be forced to pay import duty.

The Epigenetics Revolution: How Modern Biology is Rewriting our Understanding of Genetics, Disease and Inheritance

4.0 out of 5 stars A good book on an important new subject, 17 Jun 2013
Dr Nessa Carey makes a valiant effort in making a very difficult subject intelligible to the lay reader. She succeeds very well in portraying epigenetics in their historic context and in shining a light upon the early researchers in this field. She succeeds also in explaining matters using analogies with literature. But I am not giving her five stars because, in the end, the complexity of the scientific language of epigenetics overwhelms the subject in her exposition. I personally don't know how she could overcome this barrier - maybe more analogies. Nevertheless I strongly recommend this book to anyone with an interest in the topic - it appears to be the best one out there at the moment.

Getting Our Way: 500 Years of Adventure and Intrigue: the Inside Story of British Diplomacy
by Sir Christopher Meyer

5.0 out of 5 stars A good read - with lots of sensible stuff, 8 May 2013
This book accompanies a three part BBC series broadcast in 2010. Unfortunately the key programme in the BBC series covering the events of the last Labour Government for some reason is not available - I tried viewing it at the British Library in their video facility at St Pancras. The missing programme is the third programme in the series on 'Ethical Diplomacy'. Nobody can explain why this programme is being censored by the BBC - the BL has said "You will need to contact the BBC with regards to your query, this is not something the British Library can help you with". So if you want to learn Sir Christopher's views you need to read this book.

Full Disclosure
Full Disclosure
by Andrew Neil

5.0 out of 5 stars A good read ..., 7 April 2013
This review is from: Full Disclosure (Hardcover)
.. which is an honest, clear and fast moving review of trying to do the right thing against the Establishment in the UK. It needs a second volume now to cover what Andrew has done since then and bringing his views on Rupert Murdoch up to date.

KOMPUTERBAY 512MB SDRAM SODIMM (144 Pin) 133Mhz PC133 RAM for Brother printers
KOMPUTERBAY 512MB SDRAM SODIMM (144 Pin) 133Mhz PC133 RAM for Brother printers
Offered by KOMPBAY

5.0 out of 5 stars Works a treat, 16 Oct 2011
Bought extra memory for my Brother colour printer. Arrived quickly, easy to fit and no problems. Perfect and well priced

Media and Communication Technologies: A Critical Introduction
Media and Communication Technologies: A Critical Introduction
by Stephen Lax

5.0 out of 5 stars A first rate introduction to a complex topic, 26 Nov 2010
I needed to get my head around the significance of digital technologies - placed in a proper historic context. I chanced upon this book in a local library in April. I borrowed it, read it and renewed it. When I didn't have it I missed it so I bought it. Today I had to explain some digital concepts to others - and went back to Stephen's book which proved an ideal source of clear explanations. Read it and enjoy it! You don't need to be a techie to love it. But the publishers need to consider revising the price downwards - it is too expensive as a book for students.

False Economy: A Surprising Economic History of the World
False Economy: A Surprising Economic History of the World
by Alan Beattie

5.0 out of 5 stars Counterfactually creative, 16 Sep 2009
This is an important book. Here's why: Beattie's insight is to show, using a deft mix of well chosen examples, that our fates are not pre-ordained, that with a slightly different mix of people, ideas and circumstances our western world could have been very much poorer. So we need to revisit our conclusions about the fate of nations (e,g, why the USA became a superpower and not Argentina) to learn lessons in surviving the changes brought on by the financial meltdown in 2008.

Read it and enjoy it.

Pret A Manger Food on the Move
Pret A Manger Food on the Move
by Jane Lunzer Gifford

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful guide to good food inspirations, 20 April 2009
I bought this for my wife as a source of ideas for family picnics in the New Forest. It is packed with great recipes and lovely pictures. I live on Pret food when on the go in London. I only wish they franchised their operations. Still if you are wanting to set yourself up in the sandwich and wrap business this book needs to be in your library.

Business Nightmares: Hitting rock bottom and coming out on top
Business Nightmares: Hitting rock bottom and coming out on top
by Rachel Elnaugh

5.0 out of 5 stars Honest and insightful reading for wannabee entrepreneurs, 12 April 2009
I picked up this book a little warily. Was I going to read a book written by a huge ego saying "I was wronged!!" whose only reading pleasure can be in Schadenfreude - the pleasure taken from observing the misery of another ? Or would I genuinely learn something about business gaffes and see past the television image to the person behind a venture that, in its time, had given pleasure to millions and had made millions. How does someone survive not just a business collapse but a business collapse which happened when she was a key public figure advising on entrepreneurship in a hit BBC television programme?

Within a few pages I was gripped - this was not an ego on speed but an honest, self-critical, funny and insightful book on what not to do when setting up a business. And also on what to do - for remember that Rachel set up a business at the age of 24 which went from zero to an £18 million pound turnover making millions of pounds of profit for everyone along the way. It failed because Rachel took the advice of management consultants and bankers - at a time when she had fallen a little out of love with her creation.

This is a "right brain" book - showing you how emotional intelligence coupled with a good idea and a hawk eye on the bottom line can flip you from dreaming into doing. It is very well written, teaching its lessons and insights through "war stories", the voices of successful entrepreneurs who have made awful mistakes and learnt from them. It teaches you by osmosis.

I learnt a lot from it and it was a book which gave me hope. If in this Depression you are sitting wondering whether to bootstrap your dream and take the risks inherent in starting a business then this book must be on your reading list. If you are studying business or want to study business then spend a few pleasurable evenings reading this - it will focus you onto what really matters.

Afterwards I met Rachel at one of her Business Nightmare events at the British Library. She is a great mentor and help for anyone getting started in this area

Page: 1 | 2