Profile for Mark Willoughby > Reviews

Content by Mark Willoughby

Mark Willoughby (Sheffield, UK)

The Freedom of Self Forgetfulness
The Freedom of Self Forgetfulness

5.0 out of 5 stars Foundation challenging and shaping, 1 Jun. 2014
a fantastic book that challenges our core foundations. what do we build our lives on? in what do we find hope, perspective, meaning, security and aspiration. It encourages us to see that identity in anything but the grace and love of God will ultimately lead to dissatisfaction and unhappiness as we are essentially basing our lives on our fallible performance where our standards are never fully met and we live continuously in a place of condemnation and fear.
forgetting ourselves and becoming renewed and restored in the victory of Jesus' performance for us is the only place to obtain real freedom.
I wholeheartedly recommend this book to you.

Out of Sight, Out of Mind: Why Britain's Prisons are Failing
Out of Sight, Out of Mind: Why Britain's Prisons are Failing
by John Podmore

3.0 out of 5 stars A fascinating, if pretty biased review of the prison system., 5 April 2012
As someone who has worked within the criminal justice system for over 3 years I was very keen to read this insight into the prison system. It's a strong assertion to say that the entire prison system is broken and from his perspective John Podmore strongly backs this up with many examples of how the system isn't working and how this reality is constantly covered up and ignored by naive, ignorant or downright bloody minded politicians and civil leaders.

I can't rate it higher than 3 stars though for two main reasons. Firstly I couldn't help thinking throughout that this book was being written by someone very cynical and bitter at the way he was treated throughout his career culminating in being made redundant. Whilst this wouldn't completely undermine his central arguments (many of which I have also observed in my times working in prisons and with ex-offenders on release) it does call into question the tone of the writing. Secondly I am not at all convinced by his conclusion. It's all well and good to pick holes in a system and highlight its flaws but unless a suitable solution can be found to each of the named problems then I don't have much time for a winge. I won't spoil the ending of the book for the reader of this review however I remain unconvinced that the suggestions made, though potentially an improvement, would make the wholesale changes to a system Podmore illustrates need to be made.

Counterfeit Gods: When the Empty Promises of Love, Money and Power Let You Down
Counterfeit Gods: When the Empty Promises of Love, Money and Power Let You Down
by Timothy Keller

5.0 out of 5 stars outstanding and truly life changing., 10 Jun. 2010
Quite simply, this is an outstanding exploration of the idols which fill our lives, consume our thoughts and actions and undermine our loving and serving of Christ as the all-sufficient saviour of the entirety of humanity.
It's Biblically grounded, society transforming and life changing.
Every page forced me to sit back and reflect on its profondity and its subsequent insight and implications for me.

My worldview and relationship with God will never be the same again.