Profile for Wiltshire Bookworm > Reviews

Content by Wiltshire Bookworm

Wiltshire Bookworm "Bookworm" (Wilshire, U.K.)

The Croods [DVD] [2013]
The Croods [DVD] [2013]
Dvd ~ Nicolas Cage
Price: 6.86

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely a 'Keeper', 29 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Croods [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
I will certainly be first in the queue on Monday when this comes out on DVD. One of the best animated films of the year. Love the way the writer has brought very modern ideas into the prehistoric setting without even a hitch. Very funny and heartwarming with lovely strong characters and some of the best screenplay I've come across. A winner in my book - superb entertainment for the whole family. Would recommend this to any grandparents expecting a houseful of bored grandchildren this Christmas. I know I am!

Coronach
Coronach
by Kimberley Jordan Reeman
Price: 29.19

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly unforgettable. A story that will stay with you for life. A classic., 16 Feb 2011
This review is from: Coronach (Hardcover)
I have never, ever read a book that has left such an impact on me as this one. I cannot recommend it highly enough. Beautifully researched and written, it charts the interwoven story of both aggressor and victim of the English occupation of the Scottish Highlands in the mid 1700's, and the rise and fall in the fortunes of both. The unspeakable atrocities perpetrated by the invaders are so graphically related you can almost smell the fear and taste the blood. And you are left truly appalled. Yet out of this grows the most passionate of loves, destined to destroy all those it touches. The reader is dragged through such a vast array of emotions, it will leave you quite stunned. I can say no more than you simply must read this book. You will never find it's like again.

The King's Coat (Alan Lewrie Naval Adventures)
The King's Coat (Alan Lewrie Naval Adventures)
by Dewey Lambdin
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars Dont be put off!! This is just the start of a superb series., 17 Jan 2010
In this first chapter in the life of Dewey Lambden's character, Alan Lewrie, we are introduced to a complete rake-hell wastrel who, just in the opening chapters alone, is found in bed with his half-sister! At that point, I was tempted to put the book down (as my Father had), as it clearly wasn't going to be my cup of tea at all! How glad I am that I read on. The rather sordid introduction to this character is vital to our later understanding of the hardships he endured (in comparison with his former life as a rich spoiled brat) and how his character developed both as a man and as a commander of others, with trust and respect being hard earned each way.

The story is exciting and a very worthy and enjoyable read. But this particular novel simply paves the way to Alan Lewrie's later life, loves and challenges. Even if you may start feeling a little uncomfortable about this character, I promise you won't be disappointed, and by the end of the second book you'll be hooked! I'm now clamouring for the 16th Lewrie adventure to be published in March 2010. Great stuff and a nice change to have an anti-hero - almost a naval version of Sharpe.

The Surgeon's Mate
The Surgeon's Mate
by Patrick O'Brian
Price: 6.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Lucky number 7, 7 July 2009
This review is from: The Surgeon's Mate (Paperback)
For anyone who has yet to read one of Patrick O'Brian's novels; please do not be put off by the film Master & Commander, if you have seen it.

These books are superb and, in my view, this is the best so far.

The Surgeon's Mate (his 7th in the Aubrey/Maturin series) focuses more on the intelligence activities of Dr Maturin - something sadly not even acknowledged in the film. Dr Maturin usually contrives to get Jack Aubrey ordered to transport him to his various assignments and therefore become somehow involved in them. In this story Jack is quite desperate to flee England (to escape the threatened visitation from an earlier extra-marital liason), only to end up with both men captured by the French.

The build up in tension is brilliant, as we read of the French Intelligence's successes in piecing together the evidence that will eventually see our heroes standing before a firing squad, while our boys plot and execute their escape - a true race against time.

The story is spell-binding - the book difficult to put down - and ends with their eventual aid coming from a most unexpected source.

Patrick O'Brian's mastery of both the English language and history of Naval warfare is unbeatable. His equal touches of comedy, grief and humanity really do put him way out ahead of the competition.

Great stuff - but don't take it on holiday with you. Your family will pine for want of your attention and the in-laws will never speak to you again ... I'll get yours in the post, shall I?

Signal Close Action
Signal Close Action
by Alexander Kent
Price: 8.08

5.0 out of 5 stars Signal Close Action, 27 Mar 2008
This review is from: Signal Close Action (Paperback)
So far, this is my favourite book in the Richard Bolitho series. In it, his friendship with Thomas Herrisk is tested to the limit, but not found wanting. It also sees Bolitho taught a lesson in not always accepted others at face value. Exploring all of the frustrations and hardships of the navy at war and those brave souls that kept our ships alive and fighting. An excellent adventure which, I hope, others will enjoy as much as I did. Happy reading!