Profile for hilwill > Reviews

Content by hilwill

hilwill

The Friendly Swede Replaceable Tip Hybrid Stylus (3 Pack), Red, Black and Silver
Offered by The Friendly Swede [UK]

4.0 out of 5 stars Complaints about noise . ., 23 April 2015
Works very well but am getting complaints about the noise from the metal touching the screen, it is a bit irritating I must say. My last stylus (sadly chewed by a dog) had a rubber tip so was silent - it came in a Christmas cracker and was the most useful 'gift' I ever had!

Hunter Balmoral Lady Neoprene Wellington Boots - Aubergine - 5
Hunter Balmoral Lady Neoprene Wellington Boots - Aubergine - 5

4.0 out of 5 stars Pleased so far, 5 Sept. 2014
I have had a few pairs of Hunter wellingtons in the past, they fit me well but always split across the soles after time - leaking wellies are not much good! I decided to try another brand and asked a few friends which ones they recommended but one came up with these. So far I am happy with them, not quite as comfortable as the basic Hunters but that is due to the neoprene making the boots thicker, however the neoprene will be a huge bonus for winter dog walks. The soles look much better, the zig zag tread gives an improved grip so there is less sliding on muddy banks and hopefully they will last longer. So far I am very pleased with them.

Brabantia Ironing Board with Solid Steam Unit Holder, Size C, Wide - Ice Water
Brabantia Ironing Board with Solid Steam Unit Holder, Size C, Wide - Ice Water

3.0 out of 5 stars Expensive but does what it says on the box., 5 Sept. 2014
As I had bought a steam generator I realised I had to buy a new ironing board as the board I was using (my late mother's and a 70's model which was expensive at the time but is still going strong and very solid) did not have a grid underneath to let the condensation escape. Well, quite why this is so expensive I have no idea. Not as robust as the old one - basically a fairly light metal frame with a bit of padding - although the size makes it easier for ironing bed linen (I do B&B so that is important) the width of the 'nose' makes it more difficult to iron small items, shoulders, etc. Needless to say I have kept the old board (and iron) . . . .

Rowenta DG8960 Silence Steam Generator, 6 Bar
Rowenta DG8960 Silence Steam Generator, 6 Bar
Offered by Harts Of Stur

4.0 out of 5 stars Jury out on steam generators . ., 5 Sept. 2014
Hesitate about 4 stars but I think it is fine. This is the first steam generator I have bought and after a lot of research thought this one sounded good - I like to listen to the radio while ironing and the 'silence' part sounded good. I do B&B on a small scale so have lots of bed linen to iron, I also wear a lot of linen clothes and as everyone knows, they take some ironing especially when dry! Whether or not this iron is hugely better than the steam iron I was using I am not sure. Yes, it is certainly easier due to the extra steam generated but I find I have to go over everything a second time with the iron on 'dry' or else everything creases as it is damp. Maybe I just don't have the knack yet, but overall I am perfectly happy with it although I am not convinced that steam generators are worth the extra money which is substantial. Oh, and yes, I can still hear the radio.

The Complete Sophie Grigson Cookbook
The Complete Sophie Grigson Cookbook
by Sophie Grigson

4.0 out of 5 stars A good book covering both basics and dishes out of the ordinary, 20 Feb. 2013
I eventually ordered this book (it is now out of print) as a friend has it and I was forever asking where she had found certain recipes and it was often out of this book. Yes, it covers basics and which may not be necessary for some as we all have our 'tried and tested' favourites but there are many unexplored delights and frankly it makes a pleasant change from the run of tv celebrity chefs who appear to compete against each other for the most OTT dish which nobody in a domestic kitchen could ever hope to compete with even of they could obtain the ingredients! No pictures but then neither do radios, we all have imaginations. I am delighted I now have a copy.

Hide and Seek
Hide and Seek

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for me, 22 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Hide and Seek (Kindle Edition)
Thought it was going to be ok to start with but the first incident was so bizarre I almost gave up then but was on a long flight so persevered. Having finished the book I wonder if 'Seven' is the author's favourite film? There was so much running about I felt the hero should be a certainty for the marathon in the next Olympics - with no training either! Afraid I like my 'thrillers' to be a little more realistic than this one, sorry.

Family Tree Maker 2012 World Edition (PC)
Family Tree Maker 2012 World Edition (PC)

3.0 out of 5 stars Frustrating at times . ., 8 Dec. 2012
I had been thinking about upgrading my FTM Version 16 for some time and decided that the sync facility with this edition would be a good time-saving feature. Well, the syncing did not work properly to begin with and quite a few bits seemed to have been missed out which was strange. Hopefully this has now sorted itself out and I can trust that all the tree is there. Be careful shutting the FTM down, I have 'lost' mine a couple of times so be sure you have information stored elsewhere!
The most annoying thing is the 6 months 'free' subscription to Ancestry. I registered the FTM and understood the six months would be added to my current Ancestry subscription as this is what appears to have happened to others. Well, it wasn't, I was just told I already had a subscription and there appeared to be nothing else to do. I have sent 4 e-mails to Ancestry but have not had a response, they have just taken a further 12 months from my bank account. Not good.
FTM 2012 itself seems to be ok and a definite improvement on FTM 16 (although I have kept this on my computer just in case . . . . ) and it is useful to have the book to help you find your way around.

John Bishop Live - Sunshine Tour [2011] [Blu-ray][Region Free]
John Bishop Live - Sunshine Tour [2011] [Blu-ray][Region Free]
Dvd ~ John Bishop
Offered by Springwood Media

5.0 out of 5 stars Next year, 2 Dec. 2011
I was also at the Echo Arena the night this video was filmed and shall be interested to see what they have cut out!!! Already booked for next year - what more can I say.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 26, 2011 5:26 PM GMT

Origins
Origins

4.0 out of 5 stars Different, 12 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Origins (Kindle Edition)
I read this whilst waiting at an airport and then on the flight and I must say, Ms Hill certainly knows her stuff! Trying to guess how all the characters might come together at the end added to the enjoyment, I shall never look at the cabin crew in the same light having read the book. A good read with a dramatic climax.