Profile for peter david hamilton > Reviews

Content by peter david ha...

peter david hamilton

Page: 1 | 2
A Short History of Australia
A Short History of Australia

3.0 out of 5 stars A decent history, 27 Dec. 2013
Disappointing, perhaps my mistake as I didn't know it was written so long ago. Still the kindle edition was a total disaster with page or line breaks in the middle of words on almost every page. A formating disaster.

Having said the it was very informative. Stuff I should have learnt 50 years ago. As a history of Australia's political development from 1901 to 1945 actually very very good.

To the Moon and Timbuktu: A Trek Through the Heart of Africa
To the Moon and Timbuktu: A Trek Through the Heart of Africa

5.0 out of 5 stars I love travellers who spill thier guts, but this was really special., 27 Dec. 2013
What can I say. Done with the book but with the heat of Africa racing throung my body I e-mailed my 3 sisters & 3 neices/nephews in Australia, my 2 best friends in USA and same same in Brazil - to without delay get a I-Pad / Kindle download of this enchanting biography.

Read it, love it, be horified, have faith in dreams.

I often read a book and forget the authors name. I will never forget the name or story of Nina Sovich.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 23, 2015 5:00 PM GMT

Dancing With Strangers: The True History of the Meeting of the British First Fleet and the Aboriginal Australians, 1788

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential reading for all aussies and brits, 27 Dec. 2013
I am 65 years old - fifth generation Australian - ashamed to admit to utter ignorance of my country's first years. This book was not just a great read, it was easy going, but made me a bit ashamed, perhaps something wrong with our auzzie education system. It took me back to my grandmother chatting about her 1890's - the ship wreck and gold rush of the 1850's, but the book was about first european contact in the 1780/90's. We are so swept into the 21st centuary it is almost impossible to relocate ones mind to that era.

Practically every one knows about the Sydney Opera House, and perhaps they know it is built on Bennilong point - a spit of land charging into Sydney Harbour from the botanical gardens and the Governors residence .

Aurther Phillip, England's initial governor in New South Wales, was a good man doing a very hard job. More or less he has now been lost to history, but this book brings him back from the dead. More importantly it bings back Bennilong, the first native Australian to learn properly to speak English. Bennilong so loved the govenor, he camped out with his extended family in the garden of government house. This became impossible and while most of the resident in Sydney were living in tents or mud brick shacks the governer built Bennilong a 4 room stone quasi mansion. The house is long gone, but the Opera House now stands proud on Bennilong point.

Enjoy - as history goes this book is great.

A History of Ancient Egypt: From the First Farmers to the Great Pyramid
A History of Ancient Egypt: From the First Farmers to the Great Pyramid

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow an eye opener, 27 Dec. 2013
I have lived in Egypt for 27 years and thought I knew the country's history. How wrong and now I want more. As history goes this book was real pleasure. The Kindle pages were flipping over so fast my stylus hand cramped. I read through the night, flipping the last page when my wife got up for breakfast. I wanted more, and went back to page one to read it over again. The facts of the 2,500 years of Egyptian history before the great piramids were built is little known. This book made that era available to all in a most readable fashion. I have read many books on past cultures - often they are hard going. John Romer should be congratulated for making this storey so accessable.

Mint Tea to Maori Tattoo! A Unique Backpacking Experience.
Mint Tea to Maori Tattoo! A Unique Backpacking Experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars Personal travel writing at its best., 13 Sept. 2013
A wonderful well writen travelog. Very personal, yet factual and interesting for the general reader. I thought it would be a book to dip into - I couldn't put it down. A very good read.

The Universe Inside You: The Extreme Science of the Human Body from Quantum Theory to the Mysteries of the Brain

3.0 out of 5 stars Clever approach to a difficult subject, 13 Sept. 2013
A readable book although it wobbled a bit. Science and mathematics are not easy. I found this approaach will make the subjects more accessible to a wide audience. Very good and up to date. Refernces to a web site is a very good plus. I'm not sure about the title - t may scare some readers off.

No-One Ever Has Sex On A Tuesday:  A Very Funny Romantic Novel
No-One Ever Has Sex On A Tuesday: A Very Funny Romantic Novel

5.0 out of 5 stars Girlie stuff but really enjoyable, 14 Aug. 2013
I love my Kindle. It gives me a chance to read books perhaps I would have passed passed by.

I am happily marired, but if Tracy Blooms wants to get on a plane my Red Sea beach house has a hammock waiting for her

Joking , but I think she has great futue

Sweet Tooth
Sweet Tooth

5.0 out of 5 stars Ian McEwan always comes through, 14 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Sweet Tooth (Kindle Edition)
What can I say. So entertaning, perhaps not as good as On Chesel Beach or Solaris - Saturday had me spell bound. I am Australian but if wanted to meet a English writer It would be Ian for certain , absolutely or pehaps Jeromy Clackson.

Travels of an Ordinary Man Australia
Travels of an Ordinary Man Australia

3.0 out of 5 stars Fab crazy travel book, 14 Aug. 2013
We were all young once. Well writen for a guy who drank way too much beer. Surpriing he din't get a girl pregnant. Good for gap year kids. Oz is fantastic, 1000% better than the UK.

Genghis Khan and the Making of the Modern World
Genghis Khan and the Making of the Modern World

5.0 out of 5 stars Well written and well woth reading., 2 July 2013
Essential reading for anyone interested in history and the making of the middle east. Genghis Khan has been so thoroughly villified in Europe over the last 500 years because of incorrect or confused information it's about time someone tried to put things straing. A wonderful effort, and an exiting read.

Page: 1 | 2