Profile for Stuart Bluman > Reviews

I Believe
Offered by mrtopseller
Price: 5.25

5.0 out of 5 stars Tim Burgess - I Believe, 18 Sep 2003
This review is from: I Believe (Audio CD)
I have to disagree somewhat with Alistair from Glasgow's review on Sir Tim's debut solo effort. Granted, it's different from anything The Charlatans have ever done, with the slight exception being the continuation of Tim's falsetto vocals that were apparent on Wonderland. But if Tim wanted to do a Charlatans album then he quite easily could have - instead he has opted for an expression of his own musical tastes and influences (of which strangely include Twiggy Ramirez alongside the Beach Boys and John Lennon according to the notes on the sleeve). From the introduction of the single 'I Believe' (which sounds remarkably like the music used by Sacha Baron Cohen's character Borat) it is obvious that we are in for something different. The rest of the album doesn't disappoint either, with standout tracks 'Only a Boy' and 'Oh My Corazon' warming the heart and uplifting the soul. If it's The Charlatans sound that you're after then this album is probably not for you. But if you want to hear one of the most underated British musical talents mixing his influences and sharing it with the world then you could do a lot worse than buying this album. The only disappointment with this fine offering is that we don't have a Pacific Coast Highway in England to cruise along at 40 mph with the top down. I guess the M25 will have to do for the time being.