Profile for Georgiana89 > Reviews

Content by Georgiana89

Georgiana89 (London)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
Whispers Under Ground (PC Peter Grant Book 3)
Whispers Under Ground (PC Peter Grant Book 3)

3.0 out of 5 stars Much the same as the earlier books in the series - a fun read, but didn't set my world alight, 13 Oct 2014
If you've read the previous books in this series, then you'll know broadly what to expect - a police procedural spiced up with magic, some Discworld-esque humour, and a loving depiction of the best and the worst aspects of London. All narrated by a likeable, knowledgeable and self-deprecating mixed-race wizard policeman.

I enjoyed both of the first two books, but at the same time, they left me feeling mildly disappointed. I always feel that this series should be absolutely amazing and should completely seize my imagination, and every time, it almost leaves me feeling like that but somehow just misses the spot.

I've kept hoping that the next book will be the one where it all falls into place, the author hits his stride and this becomes one of my favourite series, but once again, for me at least, the literary alchemy was not quite there. I can't quite put my finger on what's missing - it's a bit like when you go on a date with someone who is perfect for you on paper, you get on well, but there just isn't that spark. If I tried to be a bit more specific, I'd blame the rather convoluted plots that don't really go anywhere and the fact that three books in, there's still not a lot of backstory about the wizarding world or much sign of the overarching plot bursting into life.

That said, you don't have to love and adore every book, and when I pick one of these up, I know it will at least amuse and entertain me, and be a light read that still has a bit of substance behind it.

On balance, I'd say this was better than book two but weaker than book one, and despite my slightly half-hearted review, I'd still recommend this one to fans of the series and recommend that people who like this sort of thing give the series a go. I will be reading book four at some point, but I'm not rushing to start it, and for me, the real test of whether I've enjoyed a book is whether or not I can wait to read the sequel.

We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves
We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves

2.0 out of 5 stars One interesting "twist", but otherwise a combination of generic family drama and animal rights polemic, 13 Oct 2014
After reading the first few pages of this, I already disliked the main character/first-person narrator, who seemed painfully self-absorbed and hated the attention seeking drama student who is the other character introduced at this stage. The next few chapters go into dull detail about our narrator's family dynamic and painstakingly outline a tedious and uneventful Thanksgiving dinner. At this stage, it just felt like every other navel-gazing novel about a middle-class, mildly dysfunctional American family, and the narrator like every other over-privileged, whiny twenty-something character.

I was tempted to drop it there and then, but I stuck with it because a)surely all the good reviews and the Booker nomination meant it had to get better, b)occasionally the knowing, self-referential narrative voice caught my attention, and most importantly, c) from both the text and some of the reviews, I was getting the hint that there was something more to the plot - some sort of underlying family secret.

About a quarter of the way through the book, we find out what this secret is. As this isn't mentioned in the blurb and comes as a bit of a surprise, I suppose it should be described as a twist, and I suppose I shouldn't reveal it. But I found it very odd that the author and/or publishers and publicists had decided to treat it this was. For me, this revelation came so early and was such an integral part of the book that it really should have been in the blurb and all over the advertising material. It's sort of like if all descriptions of Twilight were careful to avoid mentioning that the love interest is a vampire in the hope that readers will be shocked when they find out (not that I like Twilight, I hasten to add, but it was the best parallel I could think of!).

It's actually quite difficult to say more about the book without giving away this plot detail. Let's just say this "twist" caught my attention and for a while, made me feel more interested in the book. The flashbacks to the narrator's childhood that linked to it were interesting and if there'd been more focus on those, I might have been better disposed towards the book. But then the narrative returned to the present, and despite the fact that we now have an explanation for some of the oddities of the narrator, I still found her as unlike-able and disinteresting as ever, and found most of the supporting characters to be even more irritating. Furthermore, there were suggestions that there was still one more secret childhood memory to be revealed, but there really wasn't. If the twist didn't quite qualify as a twist, then the final revelation, really, really didn't qualify as a revelation and it made for a huge anti-climax.

There were some meditations sprinkled throughout the book on what it means to be human and whether humans are really any different from other mammals and particularly from other primates. At times, these were interesting and got me thinking, but far too often, the book felt in danger of turning into a lecture on animal rights and the evils of animal testing. I was looking for a clever piece of fiction, not a polemic. Ironically, I think the message would have been far stronger if the plot had been allowed to speak for itself instead of characters being used as mouthpieces.

By the end, I just couldn't see the point of this book. I recently read We Were Liars, and while I didn't love that either, I felt that was a better portrayal of a damaged family and of the way families create their own mythology and can hide secrets. And if I wanted to learn about animal rights or human/animal psychology in detail, I'd read a non-fiction account, or at least a novel that dealt with the issue subtly. The only thing that really makes this book unique or at all interesting is the plot device I'm not meant to talk about, but despite a brief "wow moment", even that didn't bring the book alive for me.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 18, 2014 1:25 PM BST

The Bone Clocks
The Bone Clocks

4.0 out of 5 stars A lot like Cloud Atlas, but not quite as good - which still makes it better than the vast majority of books, 3 Oct 2014
This review is from: The Bone Clocks (Kindle Edition)
One of the characters in this novel of many narrators is Crispin Hershey, an author whose books clearly owe something of a debt to Mitchell’s own. So when Crispin is constantly offended that everyone thinks his latest offerings aren’t up to the standards of his greatest literary and commercial success, it seems fair to say that it’s something that plays on Mitchell’s mind. It therefore makes me feel slightly guilty to say that if I were going to sum up this book in one sentence (which I’m not – concision was never one of my strong points) it would be: “a lot like Cloud Atlas, but not quite as good.”

There’s something about Mitchell’s way with words and way with a story that makes me enjoy everything he writes, whatever the genre and style. Cloud Atlas is one of my all time favourite novels, but I also enjoyed the relatively straightforward narrative structure of his more recent offerings, Black Swan Green and the Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet. Underneath all the cleverness, he’s fundamentally got a fantastic imagination and an amazing ability to tell a story.

Nonetheless, I was excited to see that here, Mitchell had returned back to the style of his earlier works and to what (I think) he does best: short stories that somehow coalesce into a complete novel, genre-bending and experiments with style, complex structures and narrative devices, and a blurring of the lines between literary and genre fiction.

That said, while you would never exactly describe the Bone Clocks as a conventional novel, it was actually rather lighter on tricksy devices than I had anticipated.

On the positive side, it felt much less like a cleverly linked combination of short stories than some of Mitchell’s books, and more like a coherent plot that happened to have several narrators and go off at a few tangents. Basically, it’s the story of Holly Syke’s life from 16 to 75, mixed with the story of an ancient battle between the Anchorites and the Horologists. In some sections, Holly was front and centre whereas in others she made little more than a cameo appearance. Similarly, some sections were basically full blown fantasy, while in others, this paranormal war was only hinted at. But the two poles of Holly and Horologists held the novel together as a coherent whole rather more effectively than comet birthmarks or ghosts really managed in earlier works.
On the less positive side, most of the chapters - despite having different first person narrators – felt oddly similar to each other. They were all told using a linear, first person narrative and used a broadly modern literary style. I rather missed the real jumping around between forms – now a diary, now an interview, now letters – and styles that so wowed me in earlier works. Chapter Five, cheerfully abandons the “basically realism but there are a few weird things going on” approach in favour of just giving into the temptation to write things like, “I can invoke Shaded Way acts without disturbing the Chapel, but the Cathar’ll detect psychosoterica from the far side of the Schism.” But while this chapter shattered the genre divide (and there’s nothing I love more than when serious writers bring a bit of fantasy into their novels), it still stuck to the same approach. This isn’t an attack. They were good stories, the succession of first person narrators had engaging and differentiated voices, the modern literary style was smoothly executed. It’s just that it didn’t amaze me, and I was longing to be amazed.

It’s always something of an inevitability with this sort of book that there are going to be sections you like more than others. Here, I struggled with the overly long and overly self-indulgent section about the author, and even more so with the rather preachy “global warming is a bad thing” end section. But I loved Holly’s working class teenager in the eighties bit and the wonderful noughties section that cut back and forth between a war reporter’s time in Iraq and time at a family wedding as he weighed up the relative importance of family and duty. It’s inevitably going to divide people, but personally, I also loved the hardcore fantasy section. Generally, I find that literary writers are rubbish at this sort of thing, but I thought Mitchell cobbled together an interesting enough mythos. Oh, and for anyone who's ever read one of my books, I suspect it goes without saying that I loved the section about the posh, handsome and caddish Oxbridge student who seduces our heroine and then joins an evil cult that grants him eternal life. I once claimed that Mitchell could take any writer’s novel and write a better version of it in one chapter. Now I know how it feels when it happens to you!

Finally, maybe it’s just my imagination or my slight obsession with that book, but at times, I sort of felt that Mitchell was rehashing characters from Cloud Atlas. One of the nicest things about being a Serious Author is that people tend to give you the benefit of the doubt. If a real fantasy author had several characters in his new book that were rather similar to characters in an earlier work, he’d be accused of laziness and predictability. If Mitchell has done so, I can only assume that it’s some clever device. But come on. Was Hugo Lamb not just a 1990s Robert Frobisher? Wasn’t cynical author Crispin just a tad reminiscent of cynical agent Timothy Cavendish? And brave war reporter Ed seemed to take a similar approach to life as brave crime reporter Luisa. And actually, those three stories come in the same order in both books, which probably means our too clever for his own good author is doing it on purpose.

This may be the longest review I’ve ever written, and I think that’s indicative of both the complexity of the book – which makes it very hard to summarise or reach an overall conclusion on – and my rather conflicted feelings, between admiring what Mitchell has done, and somewhat unfairly wishing that he’d done a little more. I don’t think this book is for everyone – the fantasy element will put some people off, while the unconventional structure will drive others away. But if you can bear a combination of fantasy subplot and state of the world pretentions, give it a go. There are some flaws and misteps, but there’s also both brilliant storytelling and real literary cleverness waiting inside.

Voyager: (Outlander 3)
Voyager: (Outlander 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars Even better but more difficult read that its predecessors, 22 Sep 2014
I started this book the moment I finished book two, and until about two-thirds of the way through it, I felt quite obsessed with it, remaining n one of those odd "thinking about the book in every waking moment and then dreaming about it" moods that I find my favourite books always give me.

The first third of this novel has a far more complex structure than its predecessors. The chapters alternate between the 1960s, as Claire, Brianna, and Roger try to find out what happened to Jamie after he seemingly survived Culloden; flashbacks to Claire's life over the last twenty years; and chapters from Jamie's life over the same period of time, two hundred years in the past.

I love time-travel stories when they make your head spin, and this achieved it in a way that earlier books in the series didn't quite manage. I loved having the researchers in 1968 find something out about Jamie's life from a dry document, then getting to see the emotional reality of it through his eyes. This is particularly strong where things have passed into folklore. I'm always fascinated bye the idea of the difference between historical myth and reality, and there are some wonderful examples of it here: prepare to laugh at the story of how the place called Leap o'the Cask got it's name - and then to cry at the brutal reality.

I definitely saw the first book and to a lesser extent the second book as being primarily romance novels, even though many fans tend to argue against this. In this instalment, however, I felt that while the romance between Claire and Jamie was still the heart and soul of the book, the genres were genuinely much more blurred. It's certainly a brave romance novelist that keeps her lovers completely and utterly apart for the first third of a thousand page novel.

It's worth pointing out that while the 1968 scenes are a bit lighter, most of this first third is horribly depressing. Jamie's section opens with him living in a cave, and things rarely improve. There's no one scene as horrific as the ending of the first book, but he does have to live with a relentless, soul-sapping grimness. Claire isn't living in a cave in her flashbacks. She's living in a nice house in Boston, with her dream job as a doctor and her beloved daughter. And yet her guilt at leaving, her trauma over Culloden and her inability to either properly restart or fully break off her marriage to Frank means that it doesn't make for much happier reading. And running between both threads is an utter longing for each other, even though Claire is sure that Jamie is dead and he's convinced he's never going to see her again. The author somehow makes this more poignant, and yes, romantic, then many authors manage to make scenes of characters getting steamy together. It's lovely, it's tragic, and any reader is going to be dying for them to get back together, and maybe get a break.

I hate spoilers, but considering that this is an eight book series, I don't think I'm really giving much away to say that eventually, the longed-for reunion does occur. I felt it was perfect - moving and delightful and heartwarming, without skirting around the reality that two people can't just come back together after twenty years apart and expect nothing to have changed.

There's wonderful emotional drama in the immediate aftermath of the reunion but frankly, once it had been more or less resolved, I think the book should have ended. The plot of the final third of the book centres on a trip to the West Indies and pirates and slavery. It's perfectly fun and exciting and its nice to see Jamie and Claire rebuilding their life together, but it just didn't have quite the emotional or literary impact of the rest of the novel. It didn't affect me enough to make me lost interest or to mark the book down, but I don't think it added much.

Most of the things that bothered me about books one and two were gone, or at least substantially improved. There's much less rape and attempted rape, and only one (fairly half-hearted) flogging. The lurching from one disaster to the next aspect was played down in the first half, though did come back with a vengeance once the characters hit the high seas. I'm starting to think that the main characters are simultaneously cursed to have the worst possible things happen to them at all times, and blessed to somehow get through them without dying or permanently losing each other.

In my review of book one, I complained about the negative stereotyping of both English characters and gay characters. I'm delighted to announce that, as though to silence these complaints, this book includes a character who is English AND gay and yet utterly honourable and lovely. Lord John Grey is basically the anti-Jack Randall, and I think we can all be grateful for that.

On the other hand, I was rather upset with the treatment of the man who previously held the mantle of "only nice Englishman in the entire series." One of the real strengths of the first book was that it didn't take the easy way out and make Claire single or married to someone horrid. For me, the genuine love and affection between her and Frank permeated the 1940s opening scenes, and her initial longing to get back to him and later fond memories of him and refusal to let Jamie do anything that might risk his existence were extremely touching. Clearly, at this point, Jamie is the only man for her, but I still found it sad that her relationship with Frankp couldn't regain some of its old spark in his absence.

In addition, Frank seemed so out of character. He supported his wife going off to work as a war nurse and seemed to love her adventurous nature and upbringing and was lovely in book one. Why did he try to stop her becoming a doctor? Why did he complain when she looked a bit bedraggled? At the point when he inexplicably makes horribly racist comments, I felt that the author was just manipulating me to dislike him, and actually, it felt like a cop-out. That said, I only cared so much because of the extent to which the characters and the story had got under my skin.

Overall, this isn't an easy read, but only because the author makes you care about the characters so much before putting them through hell. If you enjoyed the first two books, you have got to read this- just try to find a quiet space where you can read for hours, and get yourself some tissues and comforting whisky!

Dragonfly In Amber: (Outlander 2)
Dragonfly In Amber: (Outlander 2)

4.0 out of 5 stars Similar strengths and weaknesses to book one but a better read overall, 21 Sep 2014
Having finished Outlander, I was fully intending to take a break and read something else before diving back into the series, but in the end, I couldn't resist picking this up almost immediately.

Outlander ended in 1744, with Jamie and Claire together in France and making plans to go to Rome and stop the Jacobite Rising. And yet, with no initial explanation, this book opens in Scotland in 1968, with things being told from the perspective of one Roger Wakefield - remember the little boy who had been adopted by the Reverend that Clare and Frank visit in 1948? In a thousand page book, he appears for about three pages and doesn't really do anything, so you'd be forgiven for not immediately recalling him.

It's hard to say whether the sense of disorientation becomes more or less acute when Roger is visited by Claire and her twenty year old daughter. The narration quickly shifts back to our heroine, and we establish that she's spent the last twenty years living in the present day (well, the 1940s - 1960s anyway) with Frank and "their" daughter. Though the fact that said daughter is 6ft tall with a mane of bright red hair might cast a touch of doubt on her paternity in the minds of most readers.

Once I'd got over my initial confusion, I loved this approach. I felt that the time-travel was rather underused in Outlander and had assumed Claire would never go back. I thought it was much more interesting to have her reflecting on her adventures from a different perspective and have the creepiness of her visiting a ruined Lallybroch or (gulp) finding Jamie's centuries old grave. The first few chapters of the book carry on in this vein as Claire puts Roger to work finding out what happened to some of her 1740s friends, and we get to know Roger, Claire's daughter Brianna, and an older Claire.

For anyone who didn't enjoy the opening 1940s chapters of Outlander and is horrified at the thought of this, fear not. After a few chapters, it's flashback time, and the rest of the book (until the very final few chapters which are again in 1968) tell the story of what happened in the eighteenth century between the end of Outlander and Claire coming back to her own time.

I found this middle section (which is mostly set in France, although there are some Scottish scenes) to be mostly similar to Outlander, with most of the same strengths and weaknesses. I still loved the two main characters and their relationship. I often think relationships in books become far less interesting once they've become established, but here we get a real and touching depiction of married love. Not to mention married sex! The prose was still excellent, the research felt detailed, and we got both the charm and the grimness of the period. On the bad side, the over-reliance on rape and threats of rape persisted, and there were some truly horrible scenes, including far too much time spent lingering on the events at the end of Outlander, which I'd found both disturbing and odd and had hoped would be quietly dropped. I also found the constant lurching from one crisis to another to be quite exhausting.

Where this book was stronger than its predecessor was in the more complex politics and plotting, and the way that Claire made much greater use of her knowledge of what was to come. I also liked that we got the sort of detailed descriptions of battles that would traditionally be more at home in a very masculine historical novel than something often seen as mostly being about romance.

I'd been engrossed in the book throughout, but suddenly, about a quarter of the way from the end, I started to really love it. Most of the problems fell away and I was just reading with my hand over my mouth. Climax, emotion, I'm almost in tears, and then it's back to 1968 for a few revelations and a surprise ending that left me starting Book Three the same evening.

Outlander: Cross Stitch (TV Tie-In)
Outlander: Cross Stitch (TV Tie-In)

4.0 out of 5 stars A strong setting, interesting characters and beautiful writing - but some major faults too, 1 Sep 2014
As someone who spends quite a bit of time on Goodreads and various book blogs, this is probably the book that has been recommended to me the most, partly because I like history and time-travel, and partly because all of its many fans seem quite evangelical about the series. I was quite intrigued by the premise - 1940s army nurse finds herself in 1740s Scotland and ends up torn between two husbands in different centuries - but worried that the romance might be cheesy and the history badly researched. I was also rather put-off by the 900 page length, which seemed a bit over-the-top for what I was expecting to be a light, escapist read. On a recent holiday, I wanted something I get really get stuck into, so I finally cracked and gave it a go.

Firstly, if you're going to read it, I strongly suggest that you do the same and save it for a holiday or a time when you're able to spend hours reading. Its sheer length means it takes ages to get through (and I say this as a very fast reader), plus, it's the sort of book where you really need to absorb yourself in the world, not dip in and out.

Secondly, I've seen some debate about the genre of this book, but in my opinion, it's predominantly a romance. It's a well-done romance, and there are certainly also aspects of straight-up historical fiction, of paranormal/fantasy, and of adventure, but frankly, if romance leaves you cold, I really wouldn't recommend this one. Similarly, I struggle to imagine many men enjoying it.

So, with those two points, out of the way, what did I think about it? In short, there were lots of things I loved and some that I hated, but the story sucked me in to the extent that I was able to happily overlook flaws that would have had me throwing a different book across the room.

For me, the best things about the book were the prose - which is much better than you might expect in this sort of genre novel - the main character (Claire) and the setting. Enjoyably tough and mostly unfazed by the increasingly strange things that happen to her, Clare was also just vulnerable enough to be likeable and believable. I also loved that she was sexually confident and happy to induct a virgin husband into the delights of the flesh - a nice change from all the painfully virginal heroines that seem to be the current trend. The other characters were generally interesting too, though some of the clansmen started to blur into one. Jamie, the main love interest, isn't really my literary type. I generally prefer suave, charming and slightly edgy men to the rugged but adorable sorts, but while I wasn't swooning on the floor, he was a strong romantic lead and definitely made me smile. If he could get a response out of me, then if hulking kilted warrior types are your cup of tea, you're going to be in love.

The setting - both in terms of history and geography - was lovingly described and seemed well-researched. I really felt like I was right there in eighteenth century Scotland. The author mostly resisted the urge to over-romanticise the period, giving readers the danger and dirt as well as the excitement. In-between several dramatic episodes, there are enlightening scenes of everyday life: delivering a foal, preparing for a feast, treating minor injuries.

I felt that having Claire time-travel from the 1940s rather than from the present day was a stroke of genius, for several reasons. Firstly, it gives readers who love history two beautifully depicted periods instead of one. Secondly, it helps to stop the book from having dated. Thirdly, I found it slightly more believable that someone who has lived through WW2 could cope with the deprivations of eighteenth century life, compared to someone from today.

Moving onto the bad. Firstly, while I liked the way the book spent time fully immersing the reader in its world rather than dashing from plot point to plot point, I thought it was a bit too long overall, and got repetitive in parts. I think it would have felt a lot sharper with, say, 150 fewer pages.

Secondly, I found the way that Claire was constantly bouncing from one disaster to another - including seemingly endless attempted rapes - to not quite work. It felt oddly episodic. I also felt the time-travel elements were underplayed. I'd loved to have seen more use made of the fact that Clare knew things about the characters and knew things that would happen in the future.

Thirdly, there was a rather odd obsession with beatings of every kind - from parents chastising their children, to the clan punishing a teenager for indecency, to a brutal flogging, to a torture session, and perhaps most oddly, a scene that sat uncomfortably between a kinky spanking and straight-up wife beating, leading straight into a scene that equally uncomfortably blurred the lines between rough sex and marital rape. Along with the scenes of gratuitous Catholicism, while it may have had some basis in period accuracy, it sometimes felt like a not altogether pleasant look into the author's psyche.

Above all, the main villain, Randall, was a bit of a let down. The idea that the sadistic English army captain who is oppressing the highlands is Claire's loving 1940s husband's ancestor was a brilliant one, but ended up being underused. It would have been brilliant if he was charming as well as cruel and if Claire was having to fight an attraction to him and stop herself from linking him with her husband in her mind. One scene almost suggested things were about to go down that route, but no. He ended up being the most horribly one-dimensional villain I've come across in a long time. He literally seemed unable to hold a conversation with someone (male or female, young or old) without attempting to rape and/or beat them, and he didn't appear to have any sort of grand plan beyond finding more people to rape and beat. This irritated me more than it usually would, as it seemed to be at least partly playing up to the "English=evil, Scottish/Irish = good" stereotype so beloved of Hollywood directors. At times, this book made Braveheart look non-partisan - not always a comfortable read as an English woman.

Overall, despite those issues, I'd recommend this, and I haven't been able to resist starting Book Two. I'd suggest you consider whether these are things that would put you off a book completely, or whether, with strong characters, a well-realised setting and a generally interesting plot, you'd be able to overlook them.

The Luminaries
The Luminaries

5.0 out of 5 stars Far more enjoyable than its daunting reputation might suggest, 31 Aug 2014
This review is from: The Luminaries (Kindle Edition)
I approached this book with some degree of trepidation. Several reviews from hardened literary critics implied that while its technical merits made it worthy of its Booker Prize win, actually reading it was a bit of a hard slog, thanks to its length and its complex structure. It sat on my Kindle for several months, until, confronted with the prospect of a 27 hour plane journey, I decided that it was now or never.

From the first page, I was astonished by how much I enjoyed it, not in an cold, "appreciating great literature" sort of way, but simply in the sense of getting wrapped up in the plot, speculating about the mysteries and feeling strong emotions towards the characters. It was beautifully written, apeing a late Victorian style perfectly, but the story drew me in and kept me turning the pages as if it were the most salacious, trashy thriller. The plot is complex, featuring at least twenty fairly major characters, but while it requires a fair degree of concentration to keep track of everyone's comings and goings, I never felt lost or overburdened with detail, just fully immersed in a well-developed world.

It's a tricky tale to summarise, but basically, on the same night in a nineteenth-century goldmining town in New Zealand, a hermit dies alone, only for both a stash of gold and a long-lost wife to appear; a prostitute collapses from an apparent opium overdose and is arrested, and the richest man in town disappears. There are mysteries underlying all three of these events (and several others) and endless connections between these three characters and the rest of the sprawling cast. With so many characters, it's perhaps inevitable that some of them were more interesting and memorable than others, and that some of the supporting cast blurred into one slightly. But the best characters were very well done with some interesting nuances - and less nuanced, but just as enjoyable, was a wonderfully villainous sea captain.

I didn't know much more about the plot than the book's setting, and on paper, it wasn't a period or location that really appeared to me. However, the author really brings the town of Hotika to life and really piqued my interest in a piece of history I had no prior knowledge of. While the plot is mostly rooted in the gritty realism of life in a frontier town, there is also a slight touch of the paranormal, which I suspect some people will dislike, but which I quite enjoyed.

I'd heard that this book was heavily based around astronomy, another factor that seems to have daunted some critics and put off some readers. If you have no interest in the subject, then don't worry. The plot and the prose are perfectly enjoyable without this knowledge, and although the strange chapter titles and shortening chapters make you aware that something strange is going on, for the most part, it doesn't get in the way of the story, just leaves you with a vague sense that the author has probably pulled off something quite clever. I'm by no means an expert, but I had some interest in astronomy in my teens, and had just enough remembered knowledge to get something extra from the book. I'm sure that anyone who is genuinely knowledgable about the subject would be fascinated by the way it is handled. As far as I could tell, the idea is that some of the characters represent signs of the zodiac (I had fun guessing who was which, until I noticed there was actually a chart - woops) and some other represent the planets. Mostly, the planetary ones are the ones doing things and moving the plot along, while the stellar ones are caught in the fall out of their actions. I think the latter were acting according to the general attributes of their star sign, and also been affected by the position of the actual planets and stars on any given day. I suspect that a greater knowledge of astronomy would help to explain what sometimes feels like odd behaviour and U-turns on the part of certain characters, as well as some of the stranger coincidences and plot twists. To reiterate though, all this underlying cleverness doesn't get in the way of the story and it isn't necessary to even vaguely understand it in order to follow the plot.

The other noteworthy thing about this book is the structure. It's in twelve parts (presumably another reference to the signs of the zodiac). The first part has twelve chapters, the next eleven, and so on, until part twelve only has one chapter. At the same time, the chapters get notably shorter as the book goes on (part 1 finished 48% of the way through the book, according to my Kindle, part twelve is one page long) and though I didn't bother to count, I'm reliably informed that each is half the length of its predecessor. I didn't feel that this structure added much, but like the astronomy references, neither, for the most part, did it get in the way of the reading experience. My only complaint is that the book reaches its climax at the end of Part Five of twelve- (although to be fair, that is 90% of the way through the book). At that point, most of the mysteries are revealed and loose ends tied up. The following sections then go back in time to fill in some of the gaps. To some extent, this was interesting, but a lot of it felt like rehashing old ground or needlessly spelling out things that had been clearly implied beforehand. I was hoping that these flashbacks would put a new spin on events or characters, but with the exception of the interesting sections explaining how Anna (the prostitute mentioned above) came to be in her current situation, they felt extremely redundant and repetitive, which slightly dulled my love for the book. It felt like the one time the author really put structure over storytelling.

This book is undoubtedly long and clearly very cleverly written. But I'd emphasise once more that it's far more enjoyable, far more of a page-turner and a far easier read than either its length or its reputation would suggest. Marvel at its structure and style, puzzle out its astronomical mysteries or simply enjoy a riveting historical drama - whatever level you choose to read it on, I'd highly recommend this book.

DECAdry Place Cards for Folding 200gsm 6 per A4 Sheet 85x46mm when Folded - Ref OCB3713-3 (Pack 132 Cards)

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for weddings. Saved me time and money without sacrificing quality, 31 Aug 2014
Like nearly everything to do with weddings, pre-printed table name cards cost a small fortune, and with terrible handwriting and limited free time, I didn't want to have to write name cards out by hand. These came to the rescue at a fraction of the pre-made price. They are good quality, sturdy card, easy to perforate and stand up well on the table. You can download a template online to use with Word, though I'd personally advice using the online programme Top Table Planner, which is compatible with this pack and allows you to auto generate a PDF file with all your guests' names on it that is perfectly sized to print onto these sheets. As an added positive, there are loads of cards in this pack, so unless you're having a really huge event, you should have some spare to allow for a trial run or last minute additions. Highly recommend for anyone organising a wedding or other big event that needs name cards and who wants to save money without sacrificing quality.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 10, 2014 8:37 AM BST

Gisela Graham Bride & Groom Beautiful White & Ivory glitter Doves - Wedding decorations
Offered by Chic Gifts

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for my birdcage shaped wedding cake and great value, 31 Aug 2014
I had a wedding cake shaped like a birdcage and really wanted a bird bride and groom to sit on top of it. I found a few online, but they were all quite expensive (around £50). I wasn't sure what the quality would be like at this price, but I thought it was worth the risk, and wasn't disappointed. The birds were a decent size, sturdy and well made, and looked really sweet. They worked really well on my cake, which received loads of complements, and I've kept them since as little wedding mementoes - I'm planning to put them on my Christmas tree in years to come! This is one of the cheapest things I bought for my wedding, and one of the best received. Highly recommend.
If anyone is considering buying these and wants to see a picture of them on my cake to give an idea of size and quality, comment below and I'll happily send you one - or indeed, if you're the manufacturer and you want one for promotional purposes.

We Were Liars
We Were Liars

3.0 out of 5 stars Only the promise of a twist kept me going..., 31 Aug 2014
This review is from: We Were Liars (Kindle Edition)
When I started this book, I knew only two things about it. Firstly, that it focussed on a rich family on a summer holiday. Secondly, that it had a major twist. Beyond this, thanks to what seemed to be a deliberate policy by both publishers and reviewers, its content was a bit of a mystery. I wasn't even entirely sure of the genre or of what age group it was aimed at. Still, that bit of information I had sounded promising. I usually enjoy reading about upper class lives, I was looking for a beach read so the summery theme appealed, and above all, I love a well-executed twist.

While I hate spoilers, I don't think it's necessary to be quite as cautious as some reviewers have been. I think it's fair to say that it's YA, that it's mostly about families and growing up, but that teenage romance plays a large role.

The seventeen year old narrator, Cadence, is one of seven grandchildren of an incredibly rich WASPy-type, who owns a private island off Cape Cod. Every year since she was a child, the whole family has spent the summer on the island, having a seemingly idyllic time. The family are outwardly perfect. Not only rich, but tall, blonde, intelligent, good-looking and sporty. The are also quite obsessed with keeping up appearances, maintaining a stiff upper lip in the face of emotional upheaval and keen to perpetrate their own mythology of gilded perfection. From the first page, however, it becomes clear that, inevitably, there are problems behind the facade.

When she was fifteen, the narrator had the usual summer of spending time with her beloved cousins, as well as starting an intense relationship with Gat, the Asian best friend of one of the cousins, and a frequent visitor to the island since they were all children. Then, she had some sort of swimming accident, which has left her with debilitating migraines, little interest in her old life, and little memory of that summer. Most of the action focusses on the summer when Cadence is seventeen. Back on the island for the first time since the accident and convinced that there are things people aren't telling her, she tries to piece together what happened two years before, while trying to rebuild her relationship with Gat and her friendship with her cousins, and deal with the interesting dynamics of the rest of the family.

Some people don't like to know that a twist is coming, but in this case, I was very glad I did. I started off really enjoying the book, mainly because the brutally honest prose style caught my attention. And throughout, there were passages that were really clever and that caught my imagination. "We believe in outdoor exercise. We believe that time heals. We believe, although we will not say so explicitly, in prescription drugs and the cocktail hour." I also enjoyed the world-building. The island and the family dynamics felt very well-realised and have stuck in my memory. However, I was bored and mildly irritated by the time I made it halfway through the book. At that point, I was only really continuing to read because I wanted to know what the twist was going to be.

It was difficult not to feel irritated by Cadence. Despite some bits of clever writing, at times, listening to her bare her soul felt a bit like reading over a particularly pretentious and over-emotional section of a seventeen-year old's diary (and believe me, if I ever wanted to do that, I've got plenty of my own raw material locked away!). The trouble was, she got so emotional over relatively small things (a boy she likes having a girlfriend, being "forced" to go on a trip to Europe with her father instead of back to the island when she was sixteen) that I found it difficult to feel much sympathy for her when genuinely bad things happened, like the after-effects of her accident. Her response seemed the same whenever anything upsetting happened, regardless of the magnitude - unleash the "shot through the heart" and "bleeding to death" metaphors. And the only thing more irritating than listening to the over-privileged narrator's first world problems was listening to her sanctimonious love interest calling her out on it.

The other problem was that for most of the book, relatively little happened. It was mostly just Cadence and her family spending uneventful days on the beach and in the beachhouses - again, the effect was a bit like reading someone's day-to-day diary. I think part of the problem was that I couldn't get really emotionally invested in the key relationship. As a cynical 28 year old, I can't help but think that a relationship between two fifteen or seventeen year olds is probably not going to last forever. I read a lot of YA/NA, and usually I manage to push these thoughts away and buy into the love story, but for some reason (probably the narrator's whiny tone) I couldn't do it here.

Finally, there were the interludes in which Cadence talks about her family using the language and imagery of fairytales, "once upon a time there was a king who had three beautiful daughters." In part, it was quite clever and fun, but they were a bit overdone and started to add to the general vibe I was getting of pretentious teenager who mythologises her life.

And so to the twist. Firstly, it genuinely caught me by surprise despite my best efforts to guess it in advance, and it made me reconsider everything that had gone before. On the other hand, I found it pretty hard to reconcile with the rest of the plot, and sort of felt that for one "oh my god, are you kidding me?" moment, the author had undermined much of the point of the story.

Overall, this is a well-written novel, but I enjoyed the prose much more than the plot and characters. It's not a bad beach read and it does have a surprising twist, but it ultimately didn't quite work for me. It frustrated me to the extent that I was tempted to give it two stars, but when there are so many awful books out there, that seemed a bit unfair on a book that does have a few flashes of brilliance, so I've gone for a grudging three.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9