Profile for K. A. R. Wright > Reviews

Content by K. A. R. Wright

K. A. R. Wright "Ha Tikvah" (N. Ireland U.K.)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12
The Jesus Storybook Bible: Every Story Whispers His Name
The Jesus Storybook Bible: Every Story Whispers His Name
by Sally Lloyd-Jones

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Bible for children, 13 Jan 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have to confess I was wary before I received this book as to how it might be slanted since many similar books tend to leave out really important elements of scripture (even including the Cross & Resurrection, & any hint of death etc), and may as well be books about Joe Bloggs as Jesus in how they're written.

This Storybook Bible was instead truly a breath of fresh air, ticking all the right boxes. It's certainly a very inclusive book and many of the illustrations are more appropriate than some you find in our Western bibles for all ages i.e. they show the early Jewish settlers as dark skinned and while Jesus looks really rather strange in his caricature he is at least more accurately reflected which is great.

The stories themselves are well written and captivating, so much so, I found myself reading more and more of it - initially to review, & then later just for personal pleasure. And I was impressed at the selection of material included - I have to say it's the 1st children's bible I've come across that's dealt in any sense with the tougher book of The Revelation of Jesus.

It begins with some notable & important scripture references to read: Luke 24:27, John 3:16, John 12:46 etc. After that, come all the notable stories you'd hope for, Adam & Eve, creation, Noah, Jacob, Abraham & Issac, Rachel, David and some others from the OT, along with (obviously), Jesus, the Apostles, the Crucifixion/Resurrection, & on to Paul, & John's letters i.e. The Revelation (the latter very briefly) in the NT. The Crucifixion isn't dwelt on in any way that would upset a young child overly but may obviously take a little interaction from a parent to explain in further detail if the child desired. In general it makes the real Bible a book any child would want to read continually AND probably want to learn more about afterwards as they get older. It's absolutely perfect too to read to any pre-schooler at any time of day.

I've NO hesitation in recommending this book and would go so far as to even suggest it would be good for adults with learning difficulties too, or anyone who just wants to appreciate what scripture says more easily.

Driving Test Success All Tests DVD Premium 2012 Edition (Interactive DVD)
Driving Test Success All Tests DVD Premium 2012 Edition (Interactive DVD)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for learners & refreshers, 22 Dec 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm an older driver who did my driving test a good few years back - before all the improvements were made to both lesson structure & exam. As sucn, & like many other similar drivers, I don't keep up with refreshing my knowledge of the HC as much as I should & thus sometimes fall foul of some sign or other that I've not noticed before & don't have a clue what it means, or some other new vagary of the system.

This product really did a great job in updating my knowledge. I found it highly enjoyable & interesting, plus well laid out over the 3 disks. It's very suitable for "lucky dipping" and more enjoyable as a result. I particularly enjoyed the more interactive parts of the course where you could click on perceived hazards & find out if you were right (chuffed to find at least I'm not overly dangerous in that I only missed 1 which in real life I suspect I wouldn't have).

The Theory Disk was hugely useful in providing all the requisite knowledge to enable any driver to ensure they learn the Highway Code easily and relatively quickly. One thing I didn't have to undergo in my test was any type of vehicle knowledge awareness - although I'm now disabled & in no position to consider lifting the hood let alone discerning anything under it, I was still interested in learning more about the actual mechanics of the car, so that at least I might be able to understand a bit better when things go wrong & provide more accurate information to the RAC if necessary. Then being able to sit a DSA exam and see how I would fare now was particularly interesting - I still passed!!

The Hazard Perception Test is probably the most useful for any older driver wanting to ensure their age isn't slowing their ability to spot hazards & respond appropriately to them. It's an enjoyable task & test because of the way in which you feel you're actually driving the car although at least you don't have to worry about controls or other in-car distractions which in themselves can constitute hazardous.

And finally, the Practical Test disk - this wasn't a lot of value to me in that much of it was a bit tedious since I know how to undertake all of the manoeuvres. In particular watching the Mock Test was almost boring - the only highlight was when the driver (finally) ran into a slight problem at a roundabout and spoke (almost swore) for the first time in the whole exercise. I know you can't keep a running commentary going with the examiner, but while that part might be useful for the learner, most who've been there & done that will find it of little value.

Overall, I'd highly commend the DVD primarily for learners obviously who'll absolutely get a wealth of information out of it to better enable them to pass their test more easily. There's truly a ton of stuff in it and the bonus is that it's easy to use, watch & interact with, so younger learner drivers are less likely to get bored as easily. However, for those who want to get a refresher course or perhaps still haven't quite mastered parallel parking etc, this will definitely provide a good bit of quality help and instruction. It's certainly the best of the current series of similar DVDs I've seen on here.

RetarDEX Oral Rinse 250 ml
RetarDEX Oral Rinse 250 ml
Offered by Inter-Dentals

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for me.., 30 Nov 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This product very much shows the individuality of reviews, as unlike most others before me, I found it nowhere near as nice to use as my usual Colgate Fluorigard. It struck me very much as a *very* weak version of something like Oraldene (UK) with a very similar taste and while ordinarily I prefer weaker mouthwashes this was almost too weak for me, even with the spearmint flavour sachet added in.

However, again, unlike many others reviewing this, I have a specific autoimmune condition (Sjogren's Syndrome) which causes excessive mouth dryness through destruction of the salivary glands, and so was certainly keen to try this out to see if it might alleviate any bad breath issues from that. But I really found it very hard to determine just how good it was at doing that other than trusting friends/family to tell me and since few had ever had the guts to tell me if I had bad breath beforehand, their saying I didn't after using the product didn't really help me much.

So I could really only subjectively review it on other factors such as the taste etc and for me, in comparison to the likes of the Fluorigard, I found it failed miserably. Where the latter refreshes my mouth wonderfully for up to an hour, retarDex didn't, instead leaving my mouth even drier again than before use.

I appreciate it's aimed more at those with bad breath hence my "neutral" star rating, but personally, for me, I'm going back to my tried & tested one which suits my particular issues better.

Lumie Bodyclock STARTER 30 Wake-Up Light Alarm Clock with Sunrise and Sunset Features

4.0 out of 5 stars Reasonable for the task, 27 Oct 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Suffering from a condition which has a sleep disorder coupled with depressive symptoms especially in the wintertime I was keen to see whether this product would alleviate either and so far so reasonable. The clock is quite big and sturdy so needs a fair bit of space on your table. However, my first bit of angst was in setting it up. While I understood most of the functions and managed to get it set up within 20 mins or so, it still wasn't exactly as easy as a normal clock radio for example (& I've set up plenty of those in the past without ever once having to refer to the manual). You really do need to read and then re-read the instructions. I managed to not properly set the alarm after using the night light facility of the clock to read before going to sleep, with the result that I totally slept in the next morning wondering why it hadn't gone off. And then I discovered you have to reset the alarm every single night - with my memory issues that became such an issue I had to stop using the light completely.

However, once I did remember to set it and got it working it was certainly a lovely change to waking up in the dark and the fact that it wasn't a rapid switch from dark to light was definitely more gentle on the system. The concept is reasonable too although I don't think anything is as good as real natural daylight but the Lumie attempts to provide that with a daylight bulb and having used these in larger formats for my craft work I can testify as to how good they are.

In general I think this item is reasonably good at doing the job but much depends on your reasons for purchasing. If you have SAD syndrome it can only be part of the solution as there's much more to the syndrome than just having trouble with the dark mornings. If you have other health issues the lamp may or may not be of any value. And if you have no health issues but just want to wake up more gently than with an ordinary alarm clock, then it may well work well for you.

I've marked it down on its look, the setup and initial usage issues that may take some people time to get to grips with, and also just for the value for money - it's really a rather basic model for the price and I'd rather see it offering a radio capacity for that cost as well.

Don't Pay The Ferryman (Edit Version)
Don't Pay The Ferryman (Edit Version)

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome song, 22 Sep 2011
I loved this song when it first came out years ago but over time lost my tape recording of it (shows just how long ago lol). It's such a timeless song of his and the lyrics excellent I think it will continue to be popular for many years to come yet.

If you've not heard it - go buy it!!

Pet Brands Cat Litter Liners Ex-Giant, Pack of 6
Pet Brands Cat Litter Liners Ex-Giant, Pack of 6

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb liners, 22 Sep 2011
I've 2 cats & over their 12 years or so have used a couple of different types of liners. I used to always use the Van Ness Giant liners as that was the make of the litter box until one day when the company I ordered from accidentally sent me a pkt of these instead.

From then on I was hooked - they are cheaper and just as strong, but more importantly don't totally drown the box - the VN ones were always so hard to put in being so much larger than the box base.

These hold up well to heavy scratching and are highly durable. The drawstring is also tremendously useful.

I'd highly recommend them to any cat owners out there especially those with a Van Ness Litter box.

Lazarus Is Dead
Lazarus Is Dead
by Richard Beard

3.0 out of 5 stars Complex narrative maybe not for Christians, 22 Sep 2011
This review is from: Lazarus Is Dead (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Being a Christian I had hoped this book might be a really enjoyable fictional tale of Lazarus from what is known in scripture, but I have to say while I appreciate it's neither aimed at Christians, nor promoted as holding a particular religious slant, I found it a really complex and sometimes difficult book to read. Parts of it were acceptably interesting fiction but because the author also weaves in factual information without any break in the text other than a normal paragraph break, it can be hard separating the two at times. For me, if you're going to provide supporting factual information this should either be in italics or separated from the rest of the text in a box or whatever. That way there's no way of confusing which is which.

I was hugely uncomfortable with many of the statements attributed to Jesus - while we can't know how he lived his youth, it's highly, *highly* unlikely that he would have done or said many of things the author attributes to him. It's one thing to have poetic license with a "minor" character in scripture - quite another to do so with the Son of God, 2nd person of the Trinity, & Saviour of the world - to do so is rank blasphemy against God Himself although I doubt the author would worry about such a "small" detail perhaps given how often he undertakes the action.

He makes a lot of assumptions about Jesus that are made to sound almost factual in how they're presented. He states on Pg 196 that Jesus in his crucifixion "needs to outshine the great & unprecedented miracle, the raising of Lazarus..." and gives the impression constantly that Jesus almost orchestrated every part of His life without any purpose other than to be the "Big Man" or look good against other self-styled Messiahs around at the time.

There's so much wrong with this style of story telling when it comes to the primary focus of Christianity - making Jesus out to be nothing more than a man who desired to outshine those around Him by stage-managing his life & death is just about the worst I've encountered in this type of fiction. He has used the story of Lazarus as a neat hook to provide a platform to try to decimate the Christian faith - the last 10 pages of the book are spent on phrases like "Jesus has learned from Lazarus - 3 days is an ideal period to stay buried" and "Jesus lets Lazarus go first; He pays attention. Then He does what Lazarus did, only better"(Pg 248-49). He goes on, on later pages, to totally misinterpret some portions of scripture attributing statements to refer to Lazarus rather than Jesus (Luke 16:31)(Pg 260).

Those who have no faith at all, faith in a different Jesus (e.g. Mormons), or whose faith is based on experience rather than the saving grace of the Gospel will have little problem enjoying the content - but I'd advise any faithful Christian to steer clear of it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 15, 2012 8:25 PM BST

Reign In Us
Reign In Us

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for praise, 23 Jun 2011
This review is from: Reign In Us (MP3 Download)
This song captured my heart when listening to it quite regularly on Live 365 so I bought it & have used it on and off during my devotional time. Starfield are fast becoming a very popular group on the CCM front who're managing to bring some very solid songs to the arena. I'm personally always wary of many CCM songs of late that are "all about me" & not about God, but this one seems to get a reasonable balance with a captivating tune into the bargain.

Certainly one to add to your list of P&W songs and for easy listening.

Appsmaker Appsbooster Pro 2.0 (PC)
Appsmaker Appsbooster Pro 2.0 (PC)

2.0 out of 5 stars Wouldn't recommend :(, 23 Jun 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This program would invariably appeal to all those out there who've got an older system perhaps & who now feel it's so sluggish they need to figure out a way of boosting its performance or else it's going in the bin. And let's face it - who hasn't been in that position at one time or another. And don't we all turn to software to do the job for us, especially if it states it can and will do so but is safe & easy to use, & will have your PC as good as new! But be careful of believing everything you read.

The list of attributes it can manage automatically for you sounds so good - it can automatically launch booster profiles, start up booster applications, boost your internet, give you instant power for all your memory hungry apps - however, saying something & doing it can be 9 miles apart & that's what it feels like with this software.

I'm usually very generous where software claims are made appreciating the need for a company to push its product to the forefront of a swamped market but sometimes, I feel as if they think we're all bowled over by such claims as "instant power for your apps & games with just 1 click!".

While the product was certainly easy to install, setup, and use with everything relatively self-explanatory for all but the real newbie to computing (& even they for the most part would probably figure things out fairly quickly), once you have it installed there's little of value to be gained from keeping it so!!

I installed it on a 2.8 GHz dual core Win 7 machine with 2 Gb RAM & 3 Hard drives - I don't do any gaming but do run my machine quite intensively and Firefox in particular almost kills it at times, so I'd high hopes of seeing some performance improvement when using this product. But unfortunately I found nothing changed. Regardless of what settings I used it seemed to make no difference in the least to the slowness of the system when I activated the Booster settings - if anything I felt it perhaps worsened things marginally. However, more importantly, for thsoe of you thinking of buying it - you can gain a lot of similar functions & perhaps better outcomes from free software available already out on the internet - just ask around on some of the PC forums for suggestions.

Save your money as I think otherwise you'll be very disappointed. (On a pedantic note - I would rarely trust any software whose packaging has as many spelling/grammar mistakes as this has but I'm very fussy on such things personally & perhaps their printers just had a bad day.)

AVG Internet Security 2011, 4 User, 2 Year Subscription (PC)
AVG Internet Security 2011, 4 User, 2 Year Subscription (PC)

5.0 out of 5 stars Always a good buy, 16 Jun 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've long used AVG as my antivirus product and happily so. This particular offering has proven to be another excellent one providing a lot of extensive options and facilities. Every possible requirement for internet security is met with this package from scanning emails through to ensuring sites you visit are safe. It also now comes with Social Networking protection which is a bonus given how many problems there are on that particular front currently.

However, aside from the obvious internet help it provides, the program also deals with some other closer to home issues, such as the performance of your PC. It has a range of system tools through the PC TuneUP package which make keeping your PC in line a doddle. Unless you start messing about in advanced options when you've no idea what you're doing, you're unlikely to do any major harm but even then, AVG will enable you to recover from most "mistakes".

I installed mine on an XP installation so can't verify whether the experiences regarding Win 7 are an actual bug of the program or not. All I would suggest is that if you DO have Win 7 don't let such experiences put you off trying the package - instead, ensure you have plenty of backups of really vital data made (always a sensible option anyway) and use your System Restore to ensure you can easily recover should you need to. If you're an Intermediate user of Windows, then why not try running the program in a sandbox first to see how your version of Win 7 does handle it?

Overall, given the excellent value, excellent product and equally excellent support (free automatic updates, version upgrades & email support), I'd absolutely have no hesitation in recommending this to anyone looking for a solid AV program.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12