Profile for K. A. R. Wright > Reviews

Content by K. A. R. Wright

K. A. R. Wright "Ha Tikvah" (N. Ireland U.K.)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12
Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2014, Frustration-Free Packaging (1 PC, 1 Year subcription) (PC)

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid performer, 24 April 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Until this year I'd happily been using Microsoft Essentials for all my antivirus needs but have to confess I got a bit skittish about continuing to use it after reading that of all the current offerings it consistently performed the worst. With viruses ever evolving thanks to some "buck eejits" (as we call them in Ulster) out on the internet happily ensuring they do so, it behooves all of us to do our bit to prevent them having food for future infection on our own machines.

So I figured Kaspersky was probably the best one to try as again, said magazine article stated that it performed the best out of all the major brands tested.

Having now used it for a month I'm happy enough it's doing a good job on keeping me safe. However, for me, it may be coming at a cost I've yet to figure out how to overcome.

I use Firefox heavily & admit it's fairly weighed down with extensions, however, while prior to installing KPAV it worked happily, a bit slow at times, but otherwise ok, it's now constantly taking 3 times longer to open up pages, hangs consistently, & in general causes me more headaches than enough. While I feel these problems only started after the installation I'm not willing to fully put all blame in KPAV's direction. Just seems possible that it's slowing things down overly in a bid to ensure my 30+ saved tabs are all still legit each time I use the browser.

It's also had an odd overzealous warning of a website page being dangerous which I knew it absolutely wasn't as the pages related to my own websites which are extremely locked down security wise but KP insisted on continually flagging the pages up as possibly "spoofed" :( or otherwise not good to open. I took my chances & haven't had any issues since with it in that regard.

Otherwise I've no complaints.. I like the minimalist config panel - unlike some others that confuse you with endless options you don't really need. Overall, I'm happy to recommend it with that minor caveat that if, like me, you like a heavyweight Firefox you're either willing to scale it back or cope with possible slowness.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 5, 2014 10:58 AM BST

Lily's Kitchen Salmon and Turkey with Prawns for Cats 400 g (Case of 6)
Lily's Kitchen Salmon and Turkey with Prawns for Cats 400 g (Case of 6)
Offered by Pets Galore Coulsdon Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Horses for courses :), 16 Dec 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This proved an interesting review - I gave one can to my brother to try with his cat while my own got the rest. Given the truly superb quality of this product I really expected both cats to absolutely love & prefer it over any other wet food, but in reality only my own cat did. She's 15 and used to a diet of mixed wet/cooked meats (no dry food other than treats). My brother's cat is a 3-yo male who's used to a diet of wet/dry. While my cat absolutely adores chicken & other cooked meats, Ozzy won't touch such foods, which might possibly account for why he didn't take to this tinned food.

As I mentioned though, the quality of this tinned food is very similar to Nature's Menu cat food if you've ever used it. Both provide top quality 70% meat cat food with next to no cereal products bulking it out so satisifies the cat for longer.

The downside I feel is can size - half the size would make more sense as I found that even keeping it in the fridge (She gets all her food heated anyway purely because of her age/fussiness), I really couldn't justify trying to make her eat from the same can for a 3rd day, so was routinely wasting around 1/3 of a can each time. That's the only reason I dropped it down to 4 stars.

However, while ultimately nothing will provide a cat with the best nutrition bar cooked meat (raw is better still but not so safe to give these days), tins of food such as this offering from Lily's Kitchen is a superb & slightly cheaper alternative (if no waste). It may just take some cats a bit longer to consider the option if they've never had quality food before - wean them onto it gradually & it'll be well worth the effort, especially for those who maybe have skin/coat problems or digestive issues etc.

Definitely highly recommend the brand regardless.

Dettol Anti Bacterial Multi Action Power and Fresh Sparkling Lemon and Lime 72 Large Wipes (Pack of Eight)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great all-round wipes., 3 Dec 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This was my 1st time using these and have to say I'm a huge fan already. They're not a bad size although I'd struggle to call them "large" but in comparison to some others they possibly are. However, the winning note for me is the fact that they REALLY clean - I discovered dirt on surfaces that looked perfectly clean to me, & which incidentally I'd also cleaned with another make of wipes only a day or two ago, and I KNOW I'd not done anything to make the surface as dirty as the wipes had found it.

All that to say that I'd highly recommend these - the scent is really different - a lovely fresh citrusy smeall - almost like sherbet it's so tangy. And they just do a superb job - what more could you want!!?

Dettol Complete Clean Green Apple Floor Wipes 15 Pieces (Pack of Three)
Dettol Complete Clean Green Apple Floor Wipes 15 Pieces (Pack of Three)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent floor wipes, 3 Dec 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've used these wipes for some times now and particularly love the fresh smell which lingers for a good while after you use them. They're really good at cleaning the floor, especially wooden floors too, which makes life really easy for me. OK, so you're not going to use them to clean a whole living room floor - given their size it might take some time, but for spills and stains etc, they're superb. Fast and effective & great if you've got kids.

Highly Recommended.

One Day (Album Version)
One Day (Album Version)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great song, 30 Nov 2013
This is yet another Robin Mark classic. I'd heard it on Premier Christian Radio a few times and, as with most of his music, I was hooked and just had to buy it. It's certainly a song that should be in any Christian's playlist, and I'd highly recommend it.

Lenco Bluetooth Speaker Tower
Lenco Bluetooth Speaker Tower
Offered by AVIDES

4.0 out of 5 stars Classy but pricey!, 30 Nov 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is one heavyweight speaker which will indeed look good in any room given its very modern styling. Putting the platform together posed the first minor problem in that 2 of the feet didn't fit unless the washers were removed, but ultimately we got it sorted & stable. Given the shiny black exterior it's hard to credit it's actually mainly wood - from a distance you'd think it was plastic. Plus I'm afraid to me, black isn't a colour I'd describe as "warm" (as the manufacturer does).

It was very easy to figure out how to use without needing to refer to the manual too often. I was impressed by how easy it was to connect my Kindle to it via Bluetooth, & certainly it was nice to be able to have the songs playing while I read my books or played games on the device, without it affecting the output, although of course, your battery won't last too long on most devices if you play music for more than a short period, so I'd suggest hooking your device up to the mains if possible if you're intending on playing songs for an hour or more.

When you first switch it on, you get a nice red light around the centre (volume) button showing the speaker is on Standby. There's also a nice 12/24 hr digital clock display at the front too, which is also the track display.

Volume was quite low at times and it did take me to read the manual to discover how to improve on the bass/treble output. The unit itself provides quite a few functions through a nice control panel on the top. There are buttons to play, stop, and select next tracks as you'd expect. The volume is set by the huge big round button in the centre which has a nice blue light around it - this light is also used to inform you of some actions such as bluetooth connecting (it flashes until it connects to a device).

Connecting to the other options e.g. via the Aux leads/port is equally simple - no messing around.

I have to question the option of a stereo/mono selector - firstly when you do switch between the two there's little discernible difference in the output, but secondly, surely for decent stereo you need to have TWO speakers a distance apart? Maybe I'm missing something but I truly couldn't fathom the point of the selector.

Personally for me, having the On/Off switch at the base is a pain - I've back pain which restricts my forward bending to start with, so having to almost do the equivalent of trying & touch my toes (impossible even on a good day!!) if I have to reach to it from the top/side - I'd have much rather had it at the top. However, the socket is sensibly at the bottom so you don't have flex flopping about at the back. I'd have also liked a longer flex but that's just being picky :).

Overall, it's certainly a beautiful functional piece of living room furniture but for me rather over priced for all it is - a glorified speaker with some extra functions. Hence, while I'd absolutely recommend it for the music purists out there I'd be inclined to look at similar cheaper options if you're just wanting to hear your music the odd time, rather than having it playing long and loud!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 2, 2013 2:24 PM GMT

Ultradex Recalcifying and Whitening Daily Oral Rinse
Ultradex Recalcifying and Whitening Daily Oral Rinse

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent mouthwash, 24 Oct 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I suffer with Sjogren's Syndrome - an autoimmune condition that dessicates you from the inside out, destroying salivary glands, with resultant excessive dental destruction (not helped by a rather high sugar diet!).

I've tried many different mouthwashes to help maintain my teeth to a greater degree but this is the first one that offers the bonus of recalcifying & whitening. While I don't smoke, I do drink coffee (2 cups) & just with the continual assaults on my teeth, they've suffered somewhat and those that aren't crowned are looking decidely discoloured with dark patches on them. I have to say that after only 2 weeks use of the Ultradex I'm highly impressed as even my crowns look much better than before. But I really appreciate the concept that it will also improve the quality of the few natural teeth I have left, & will certainly be interesting to see if it does (I'll try & remember to update this in a few more months time).

It's got a pleasant (very) tangy spearmint taste and almost a "hydrogen peroxide" (another of my various mouthwashes) effect i.e. it foams up white in the mouth as you sloosh it around. The instructions suggest 30 secs but if, like me, you find some mouthwashes a bit irritant, start off on 15 secs & build up the time. I would suggest that anyone without my particular condition would find it no problem in the least.

This is one mouthwash I've no hesitation in recommending and one I'll certainly be getting more of once I'm finished this bottle!!

LeapFrog Read with Me (Violet)
LeapFrog Read with Me (Violet)

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent preschool toy, 17 Oct 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I fell in love with this long before my granddaughter even set eyes on it, & so wish I'd had something for myself when I was a child. It's a perfect size for cuddling and yet very durable despite being dropped repeatedly. I sometimes felt I wanted to rescue "her" but she proved my fears unfounded. I think (in a perfect world) the only extra I'd have liked would have been removable coats/covers for washing as it can get a bit dirty at times, but easily sponged clean.

Educationally, the books are fine. Patting Violet's head began the story, & it was lovely watching my granddaughter almost falling asleep to the slightly hypnotic voice. With the stories being interactive, it keeps the interest up more than just hearing it read to her. Mind you I'm not so sure on the cheek squeezing idea - she just tried that out on her year old pup - he wasn't quite so accomodating but we explained to her that Violet's a special type of dog who will allow her to do such things, but perhaps not to try them out on the local pups!!

Overall, a great toy & one that will last for some time to come I suspect.

Logitech G19s Gaming Keyboard
Logitech G19s Gaming Keyboard

4.0 out of 5 stars Pricey but great keyboard for a serious gamer., 6 Aug 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm not a heavy games player in comparison to some others on here, but enough to want to see what this keyboard could do, & I wasn't disappointed.

When I first saw it, I knew it wasn't going to be a quick plug&play keyboard from the look of the keys layout and LCD screen. The latter is a nice feature which helps you to instantly see certain aspects to the game you are playing, system information, or any of the other option you choose. I must confess I wasted more time watching YouTube vids & trying to view some small vids on my PC than using the screen while in a game. In general, the KB is very easy to setup and use.

There is an option to change the backlight colour which is cool. You can easily change it to match how you feel at any time but in truth at times in certain lighting this was difficult to view, & after a while you almost ignored it anyway, so perhaps not as great a selling point as Logitech might like it to be.

The G-Keys are also easy to setup and use for gaming. I didn't use too many, but they are quite helpful for certain things. There are more than enough of them to cause problems trying to remember what they all do, esp if you're on the wrong side of 50!!.

The keyboard offers three profiles, has onboard memory, and via the software, everything is pretty easy to use and even without consulting a manual you can figure out most things with just a few seconds of use.

This keyboard is certainly more appropriate for the serious or professional gamer but is still fun to use even if you are a casual gamer or for general computing. It seems Logitech have designed this keyboard with the user in mind. Only criticism really is that you have to visit the Logitech website in order to download the software to run all the bells and whistles. But even with the high price (only reason for 4 stars) I would highly recommend.

101 Joomla Custom Templates
101 Joomla Custom Templates

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome utility for newbie Joomla webmasters!!, 6 Aug 2013
I've run 3 Joomla websites for many years now and have endlessly been frustrated everytime Joomla pull out a new version, as inevitably I'll struggle to find a Template suitable for each of the sites, as my sites are all non-profit, thus have had to use free templates which are rarely updated as a standard.

So finding this little gem of an Ebook complete with 101 templates to consider was just a stroke of luck. Fair ehough many of the templates are quite similar, with only colour changes, but nonetheless there's plenty of variety and most newbies in particular should find a good few they'd like to apply to their website. Most have been produced using the excellent Artisteer program which has provided an easy means for many with little or no coding skills whatsoever to produce quite comprehensive & classy templates. They're set out in groups of 10 which makes for easy viewing - I used WinZip to view each zip file & just unzip those I felt I'd definitely use, rather than the entire set, which let me see the preview images before installing. But you don't need to unzip them to use them in Joomla - just install the zip file like any other extension.

And while certainly there's a wealth of totally free templates out on the web, it can take a lot of time hunting them down & so the small cost involved in having this set all together in one place is well worth paying. I doubt serious commercial webmasters will find much in here of value, but suspect the book is aimed more at those who're either new to Joomla or have little experience in sourcing new templates etc.

I'd HIGHLY recommend it to anyone in that latter situation - personally, I've found so many I'm in danger of changing the site template weekly just to let me enjoy another lovely new view :)).

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12