Profile for old groaner > Reviews

24 - Season 1-8 and Redemption [DVD]
24 - Season 1-8 and Redemption [DVD]
Dvd ~ Kiefer Sutherland

1.0 out of 5 stars eh!!, 15 Jun. 2011
I bought 24 complete about 8 months ago.I had read so many great reviews and heard `talk radio`presenters and listeners rave about it,and reading some of the reviews I thought,it must be worth a try.Having never seen an episode before,I settled down one night with my wife to watch what all the fuss was over.But...I was not prepared for this.I began with the one about the assassination plot,What a load of utter rubbish!I cannot remember when I have seen anything as tedious as this,a 2 hour movie dragged out over 24 hours.But...I persevered,and over about the next 4 months we managed to finish it,just to see how it ended.Bad acting,Bad casting,I never did care much for Keifer Sutherland,and this has convinced me he is dreadful.I don`t think I can bring myself to watch any more.This really was an experience I would not recommend to any sane person. the worrying thing is,I bought this bloody set. Can I just add that I have only looked at the comments made by others about my review which I have just edited and I would like to apologise for the spoiler and the comment about other peoples intelligence, however.... may I just add, for some of those people who did not like my comments, this is not a documentary series and Jack Bauer is not real. And as you may have guessed, I still haven`t watched any more of this dross. ORIGINAL REVIEW JUNE 2011
Comment Comments (25) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 31, 2013 8:10 PM GMT

Dune (The Dune Sequence Book 1)
Dune (The Dune Sequence Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars A helpful tip., 6 April 2011
I first read this book about 35 years ago.I was working in a not very busy Fish & chip restaurant in Streatham.
I was having difficulty with the unfamiliar terms and newly invented language and as a result kept nodding off.
One of my customers,after I had explained this to him,advised me to read through the whole of the Index and Glossary and look at all the Maps and then start reading it again,but I said..I won`t be able to remember all the meanings when I next come across them.
He said..It won`t matter,your brain knows,it is all now in your subconscious.Then Lo and behold,I stopped nodding off.All I can say is this book is probably the best I have ever read and I cannot recommend it strongly enough.every time I put it down,I really felt as if I had just arrived back after some incredible journey.No other book has ever had such an impact.
PLEASE DO NOT SEE THE MOVIE BEFORE READING THE BOOK.And even then...Don`t watch the movie,it is dreadful.

Baaria [DVD]
Baaria [DVD]
Dvd ~ Guiseppe Tornatore

5.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing., 9 Feb. 2011
This review is from: Baaria [DVD] (DVD)
After waiting so long for this film to arrive,I am very disappointed.There must be a lot more we haven`t seen.
Although Monica Bellucci is meant to show up,we only get a short glimpse of her,she must have had a bigger part than that.(now!now!,no wise cracks!)There is so much fast tracking from one character to the next,it seems the director couldn`t wait to get to the end.I hope we get full Directors cut before too long,despite everything it is still worth a watch.2 of my stars are for the great score by Ennio Morricone.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 3, 2012 7:37 AM GMT

King Boxer - Five Fingers Of Death [DVD]
King Boxer - Five Fingers Of Death [DVD]
Dvd ~ Lieh Lo

5.0 out of 5 stars All time favourite, 2 Jan. 2011
After all the hysteria and Bruce Lee (etc) mania,King Boxer remains the first and my favourite kung fu movie I ever watched.
This was as I remember ,the 1st Kung Fu movie to be shown in a mainstream cinema in the U.K.at the Warner,Leicester Square.
We had never seen anything like this and it was amazing seeing what these people did without weapons.
Without reminding viewers about everything that has come and gone since,I can only add that this is still my
first and one of only a handful of Kung Fu movies that I have ever bought.

The Last Airbender [DVD]
The Last Airbender [DVD]
Dvd ~ Dev Patel

5.0 out of 5 stars ignore the purist geeks, 20 Dec. 2010
This review is from: The Last Airbender [DVD] (DVD)
To all those who are interested in seeing this movie,dive right in.This is great entertainment.Ignore the purists and geeks,this movie is well worth watching.I enjoyed it from start to finish and I`m definately looking forward to the sequel.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3