Profile for A. N. Jack > Reviews

Content by A. N. Jack

A. N. Jack (Nottingham, UK)

Ascenseur pour l'échafaud / Lift to the scaffold
Ascenseur pour l'échafaud / Lift to the scaffold

3.0 out of 5 stars Wrong track listings, 7 May 2012
I bought this CD yesterday (not from Amazon) and was perplexed because the CD cover showed the tracks that were on the original LP as tracks 17 to 26. Listening to it and popping it into iTunes confirmed that the CD actually has them as tracks 1 to 10. Jason Parkes had this correct in his review from 2004. Yet the Amazon site has the tracks mislabelled as per my CD. This could be a pain for someone who wanted to download an individual track or two.

Nothing wrong with the music. 5 for Miles, 0 for the packaging/presentation

Songs of the Travelling People
Songs of the Travelling People

1.0 out of 5 stars Nothing to do with Ravel, 28 July 2008
This disc turns up when searching for works by Maurice Ravel. It is in fact a collection of traditional Romany songs which I assume has been mistakenly catalogued because the letters of Ravel's name occur in the word "Travelling"

Duets With Spanish Guitar
Duets With Spanish Guitar

5.0 out of 5 stars Like finding an old friend, 22 Sep 2006
I too remember this record from long ago. I heard some of the tracks on the radio (BBC Home Service as Radio 4 used to be known) but I never owned the LP. I bought other LPs by Almeida, who was for me up there with Segovia and Bream, including the follow-up to this album - "Conversations with the Guitar" - and several solo guitar records, including a lovely Villa-Lobos selection. My Villa-Lobos LP was stolen years ago and, sadly none of Almeida's classical records seem to be available on CD, apart from this one. Which is a beauty.

Oddly enough, Almeida's jazz collaborations with Bud Shank are/were available on CD. I wish that the other Capitol classical LPs were reissued. Especially that Villa-Lobos!