Profile for Gamboge > Reviews

Content by Gamboge

Gamboge

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
The Life of J. M. W. Turner, R.A. : Founded on Letters and Papers Furnished by His Friends and Fellow-academicians
by W Thornbury

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fascinating Book of Turner's Life from His Correspondence, 27 April 2015
I have just started into this work and am very pleased with it. It isa second hand copy in good condition with some foxing which is to be expected. There is a modern set in two volumes from Amazon but I prefered to buy this 1904 volume which has some colour plates representive of Turner's style but typical of that period of printing which is interesting. Thornbury's English grammar and detailed style iof writing is impeccable which struck me from the beginning is fascinating and beautiful, a work of art on its own. I love it. It reminds me a little of Seigfred Sassoon who wrote four pages describing a potatoe patch. Turner is more earthy in his letters but polite. This work contains correspomdence and papers furnished by his friends and fellow Academicians brings in touch with the full blown Turner the artist and and honest art critic without fear or favour. Some artists would appreciate honest criticism if it helped them even if it hurt, "Dear Sir, Your pictures are hung at the Academy, but not to my satisfaction at least...I must confess I should like to have the option of withdrawing them". There is much to learn from Turner's letters and I am going to enjoy reading this book right through all 636 pages.

Energizer A23 Pack of 2 Batteries
Energizer A23 Pack of 2 Batteries
Offered by oneshop123456

5.0 out of 5 stars Good., 19 Mar. 2015
I bought thses batteries as spares for two door bells I purchased.

Rapid 11905731 PRO 140 140/6mm Heavy Duty Galvanised Staples (Box of 2000)
Rapid 11905731 PRO 140 140/6mm Heavy Duty Galvanised Staples (Box of 2000)

5.0 out of 5 stars Good product., 19 Mar. 2015
I needed some smaller staples for my art work. The staples are strong.

1byone Wireless Doorbell Door Chime Kit, 1 Plug-in Receiver & 1 Battery Operated Receiver & 1 Push Button, White

5.0 out of 5 stars Sound good and speakers sturdy., 19 Mar. 2015
I needed some small speakers for my laptop and found these satisfactory. Thew have slipped from my laptop and chair onto the floor a few times without any damage. They are very sturdy.

Rapid 11908131 PRO 140 140/8mm Heavy Duty Galvanised Staples (Box of 2000)
Rapid 11908131 PRO 140 140/8mm Heavy Duty Galvanised Staples (Box of 2000)

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I needed for stapleing paper to a board for watercolour painting., 13 Mar. 2015
I needed smaller staples for canvas etc. Great!

Rapid R34 Professional Heavy Duty Hand Tacker
Rapid R34 Professional Heavy Duty Hand Tacker
Offered by Handtools-UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Best value, 13 Mar. 2015
I read the reviews before ordering and I very pleased with this product. It will last me yearsI tried my usual art suppliiers and one wanted £34 and another about £64. I paid just over £20 with free postage. Thank you..

Rapid 11910731 PRO 140 140/10mm Heavy Duty Galvanised Staples (Box of 2000)
Rapid 11910731 PRO 140 140/10mm Heavy Duty Galvanised Staples (Box of 2000)

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 13 Mar. 2015
I read the reviewa bofore ordering and I very oleased with this product.

Rapid 11915631 PRO 140 140/14mm Heavy Duty Galvanised Staples (Box of 2000)
Rapid 11915631 PRO 140 140/14mm Heavy Duty Galvanised Staples (Box of 2000)

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 13 Mar. 2015
I read the reviewa bofore ordering and I very oleased with this product.

The Artistic Anatomy of Trees (Dover Art Instruction)
The Artistic Anatomy of Trees (Dover Art Instruction)
by Rex V. Cole

5.0 out of 5 stars Should be in Every Artist.s Library., 20 Jan. 2015
I bought an original copy of this book years ago. I wanted a good modern reprint of this book to take with me when I go out sketching to help identify trees and assist in drawing and painting. I am a tree portrait painter. Trees are my favourite subject. I was brought up on the streets od Glasgow and was never really aware of trees till I was six years old. My mother came from the Forest of Dean and how I loved to walk throufg the forest smelling the pines and popping the Fox Gloves. Rex Vicat Cole is of the old school of artists and is a must for the library of every artist with his "Practice of Watercolour". I have many Dover publications on art and am grateful to them for their reprints of these old classics..

Memoirs of the life of John Constable,composed chiefly of his letters
Memoirs of the life of John Constable,composed chiefly of his letters
by Charles Robert Leslie

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must For Lovers of Constable's Paintings, 20 Jan. 2015
I love to dip into this book. It was a BBC commentary on Constable that drew me to this book. It is fascinating and very readable. This edition is updated with more information.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4