Profile for Mrs. M. Eager > Reviews

Content by Mrs. M. Eager

Mrs. M. Eager "Maudie15" (UK)

The Photographer's Wife
The Photographer's Wife
by Nick Alexander

3.0 out of 5 stars Three stars for being a good light read, 18 May 2015
Three stars for being a good light read.

I certainly wouldn't describe it as 'poetic' in any way. The writing is very literal - not literary. Indeed, I thought I would probably abandon it fairly early on, as the words spoken by some of the characters in the first sections seemed to be written in stage-cockney. Totally unnecessary. And again, the names of some of the characters - Diane 'Darbutt' and 'Jean' Jopling to name a couple - what on earth was the point of these semi-fictional names? And what did S&M bit add to the story? It seemed as if it was added because the author thought that was what readers require today. I read it on my Kindle, and was quite surprised to realise about half way through that it was written by a man. It has more a feel of a female chick-lit writer about it - not that I'm much of an expert on female chick-lit!

I liked the way the timelines worked, switching between past and present. The character Barbara was the best developed. The others were very superficial. An interesting storyline - but all the time you felt more depth was needed, more understanding and development of the characters.

I'm beginning to wonder why I've given it three stars now!

Sigma 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Lens for Nikon
Sigma 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Lens for Nikon
Offered by Camera Centre UK

3.0 out of 5 stars Vignetting problem, 1 May 2014
I was full of anticipation when I bought this lens, and had some reasonable results using the macro end. However, when I used it out in the landscape, there was unacceptable vignetting, particularly between focal lengths 22mm and 34mm, at a wide aperture. (curiously it wasn't too bad at 18mm). The retailer agreed this shouldn't happen, spoke to Sigma, and I was given a replacement. However, exactly the same thing happened with the second lens, which points to a problem with the optics. I have now returned this lens and decided, reluctantly, to opt for the more expensive Nikon 18-200.

On the positive side, the lens is light, handles nicely, good macro, and very good price - I'm therefore giving it three stars in anticipation of Sigma sorting out the vignetting problem - although I personally won't benefit from it!

Sweet Tooth
Sweet Tooth

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read, 10 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Sweet Tooth (Kindle Edition)
One if the best reads for a long time. McEwan is a great writer and this book is up there with his best.

Panasonic DMC-LF1EB-K  Lumix Compact Digital Camera - Black (12.1MP) 3.0 inch LCD
Panasonic DMC-LF1EB-K Lumix Compact Digital Camera - Black (12.1MP) 3.0 inch LCD

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 8 Dec. 2013
I bought this camera with high expectations, having had good results from the TZ10. One of the main features which swung my decision was the inclusion of an EVF.

However, I have found the images are not up to the standard of the TZ10 - they are dull in comparison. I have been in touch with Panasonic, sent them test shots from both cameras, and, surprise surprise, they say there is no problem and that the images are acceptable.

And the battery life is very short - about 130 images, not using flash. Unfortunately this camera is not supplied with a battery charger, so re-charges have to be carried out in-camera, which of course means the camera can't be used while this is being done. A second battery is therefore absolutely essential.

This is a very lightweight camera, with lots of features (hence 3 stars - 2 stars seemed a bit too mean) but sadly for me, let down by disappointing image quality and battery life.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 3, 2014 6:31 PM GMT