Profile for Mr. David J. Moore > Reviews

Content by Mr. David J. Moore

Mr. David J. Moore (Haywards Heath, West Sussex United Kingdom)

UDG Ultimate DIGI Headphone Bag Black U9950BL
UDG Ultimate DIGI Headphone Bag Black U9950BL

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good. Solid construction and zips are solid, 17 Jan. 2016
Very good. Solid construction and zips are solid. Strap works well and fits Studio TMA 2s, which is what I wanted it for. Given that hard cases cost similar, the shoulder strap is very useful to have alongside your work bag. Not as protective as the more solid hard cases, but solid enough to throw in a rucksack without concern. Recommended.

Vans Men's VLC0CVR Wayfarer Sunglasses, Grey
Vans Men's VLC0CVR Wayfarer Sunglasses, Grey

5.0 out of 5 stars Fit great and look very good, 29 July 2015
Fit great and look very good. Difficult to find cheaper, solid and great fitting sunglasses, these are an exception. Matt finish is icing on the cake.

Thule Atmos X3 Case for Apple iPhone 6 - Black
Thule Atmos X3 Case for Apple iPhone 6 - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - great grip, 29 July 2015
Excellent - great grip, solid feel and looks decent. The sides (metal) of the phone can just barely been seen, which looks nice. Great feel for taking pictures. Heavy enough to make gaming on it a bit more solid, but light enough to not be tiring when reading. Think the black is best, since the colours are a bit OTT - it is already a bit too fierce looking, so colours might accentuate this too much. Only compliant might be the volume buttons being a bit squishy, but that is a minor gripe. Dropped it once and was not worried. It took a bit out of the top corner plastic, but no real damage (dropped from pocket height). Had a few cases -Tech21 is the only real competitor to this and this is simply better.

Apple iPod Shuffle 1GB - Silver
Apple iPod Shuffle 1GB - Silver

3.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant design, but sound quality is flatter than I wanted., 8 Dec. 2007
First the good. This player is the smallest yet most robust piece of electronic equipment I've bought in a while. It is so small is reminds me of some of Ben Elton's rambling's in Stark where he suggests that Japanese led electronics are becoming so small that we can barely find them half the time, let alone use them. Thankfully, Apple negate this problem with the ingenious clip, which seems strong and highly practical, bravo Apple - yet another innovation in the smallest of their devices to date.

So why only 3 stars? The sound quality. It is loud, yes. Quite full, there is a lot of detail there, but ultimately it just sounds a bit flat. This has caused me to send mine back - I'm a bit of an audiogeek, I use the Shure e2c's and expect a decent sonic experience. Instead, I'm going to buy the 1st gen shuffle - since from what I can gather, the sound quality on that device was applauded at the time. Indeed, if you do a quick search on some of the mac forums, I'm sure you will find questions over the sound quality on this 2nd gen as compared to the 1st.

So in all then, a great player, if you can live without brilliant quality sound. It seems to me that a lot of the work at Apple went into the design and aesthetics with this device, at the expense of a 'iPod quality sound' that they managed to maintain in the 1st Gen shuffle.

The Amber Spyglass. (His Dark Materials): Adult Edition
The Amber Spyglass. (His Dark Materials): Adult Edition
by Philip Pullman

5.0 out of 5 stars Strong, insightful and disturbing in its end., 27 Jun. 2007
I found this book a fantastic ending in Pullman's epic trilogy. I finished reading a week ago - although I wanted to write an immediate review, I felt I needed some time before I could write with less emotion! However, for those of you who have seen all the good and decency in our friends Lyra and Will up until now, and are considering reading this final book, I cannot recommend it highly enough - it is a magical and deeply moving finale. Indeed, you need read no more of this review, go ahead and read the book! The rest of this review is for those of you who are more interested in whether or not this is a 'serious book'!

Pullman incorporates issues and imagination that is directly relevant to the fabric of society today. Religion, philosophy, science and love are all artistically combined to make this a very powerful story and statement. Furthermore the trilogy appeals to children and adults alike, which I think is indicative of the rich understanding Pullman has of the issues he addresses.

As previous reviewers have also said, Pullman's conclusion is haunting; as I mentioned, I didn't think it was proper for me to write a review immediately after finishing the book. Quite simply, I was deeply moved by the ending. I'll refrain from giving away too much, but I will say that it is very probable that this ending will incite a feeling of sadness and/or anger within you.

Controversial to the end, and especially in this book, I have heard that Pullman will omit much of the church's role in the filmic adaptations. If this is so, I can only say that I would personally prefer to have read and digested the trilogy in these very original books long before I even think about watching such adaptations.

Blankets
Blankets
by Craig R. Thompson

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, the cusp of inspirational, 14 Nov. 2005
This review is from: Blankets (Paperback)
I'm not a big fan of (over)analyzing art works such as this, however I have been moved to do so in this instance. Blankets is powerful, considered and tantalizing in its delivery, but it is also one of the saddest things I have ever read. I was floudering in fury having read it - I was left wanting more; ultimately, the blanket over me was an anti-climax. Adrian Tomine's Summer Blonde collection is far more gratifying in this sense, although the latter lacks Thompson's exquisite sensibility and artistic flair. If you like sad/moving stories because they reveal something essentially inspirational (i.e. in the human spirit, in the nobility of a gesture etc.) then Thompson here frustrates, beautifully - perhaps try Tomine. On the other hand, I have been moved enough to write this ...
For me, Blankets revealed Thompson as a long-lost vunerable friend, a friend I could not, and cannot, help from being hurt.