Profile for Aidan Powell > Reviews

Content by Aidan Powell

Aidan Powell "Margaret" (UK)

A Purcell Collection (Voces8)
A Purcell Collection (Voces8)

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Baroque, 7 April 2014
One of England's finest composers showcased by some of the finest musicians around today. This album is simply superb! Highly recommended.

The Great American Songbook - The Kings Singers
The Great American Songbook - The Kings Singers

2.0 out of 5 stars Good Singing But Lacks Beat, 21 Feb 2014
I always thought this style of music should be based on bass, rhythm and melody....we get two out of three of those things here....A cappella is an art and the King's Singers are certainly world experts, but in this repertoire I feel the music lacks something...most noticeably a rhythm section....the stuff with orchestra is better. Look elsewhere for renditions of these songs would be my opinion, good as the singing is...

Eventide
Eventide

5.0 out of 5 stars Voces great!, 6 Feb 2014
This review is from: Eventide (Audio CD)
I bought this CD after a friends recommended the group to me. I've had it for two days and I think i've worn out the CD player. The harmonies are rich and luscious…..the voices sublime….the music captivating… it just draws you into a world of admiration and relaxation. A must have for everyone!

Ingenium
Ingenium

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent new group, 28 Dec 2013
This review is from: Ingenium (MP3 Download)
I came across this group at a concert in Germany. There performance was exhilarating from start to finish. It is such a clean sound with excellent technique and good humour and stage craft. I bought this CD after the concert and have had it playing in my car ever since. The repertoire is mixed and there are songs everyone will know, as well as beautiful Slovenian folk songs, which I think are my favourite. Definitely recommended.

Nespresso CitiZ by Krups XN720T40 Coffee Machine - Titanium
Nespresso CitiZ by Krups XN720T40 Coffee Machine - Titanium

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 29 Nov 2012
This is just an awesome product. The coffee is ridiculously good. If you like your coffee with milk you could also get the Nespresso milk frother to go with this

Bach - Motetten BWV 225-230
Bach - Motetten BWV 225-230

2.0 out of 5 stars Was this really a good idea for the Hilliards?, 15 April 2010
I never like to be over the top or negative about the work of an artist. After all it is an individual's interpretation and it is great that people have their own opinions. However I must say that this disc is shoddy to say the least. I looked at the line up of singers on this CD and knowing the Hilliard brand from the past I expected a rip-roaring performance. I was hugely disappointed. There is extremely poor intonation in a number of places across the CD. To add to this, the Hilliard's, a group of eight singers, find about as much excitement in this music as Bach had in his little finger alone. Sorry to say this recording did nothing for me. I would look elsewhere next time. I hope the Hilliard Ensemble can return to its former glory on the next disc.