Profile for B. Miller > Reviews

Content by B. Miller

B. Miller (Laois, Ireland.)

Lost in Translation [DVD] [2004]
Lost in Translation [DVD] [2004]
Dvd ~ Bill Murray
Offered by DVDBayFBA

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure class, 27 Oct 2010
Scanning through the negative reviews for this film, I picked up on a common theme; There's no laughs.

No, this is not a film to have you rolling around on the floor, laughing until your sides hurt. Unfortunately some of the trailers may have given this impression and people thus expected something similar to Murray's earlier classics like Groundhog Day or What About Bob?.
When I went to the cinema to see this with my friend, he almost drifted off to sleep("That was so boring, I kept waiting for something to happen") while I was delighted to have watched something beautiful which mirrored real emotions and didn't feel the need to resort to Hollywood cliches.
Bill Murray has never been better and Scarlet Johansson hasn't come close since. The soundtrack is gorgeous, shimmering stuff which complements the images perfectly and the film just looks amazing, especially at night.

Approach this movie with realistic expectations and it will not disappoint.

The Lives of Others [DVD] [2006]
The Lives of Others [DVD] [2006]
Dvd ~ Martina Gedeck

5.0 out of 5 stars Great film-making, 22 Mar 2008
Upon hearing the rave reviews for this film and noticing that it had won Best Foreign Picture at the Oscars, I was expecting to be a little disappointed. How wrong I was. This film does nothing spectacularly different or innovative. It just tells its story and tells it extremely well.
The acting is amazing and if the Oscars had any credibility then Ulrich Muhe would have been nominated in the best actor category. His character starts off as cold and not very likeable, however, we gradually warm to him and by the end my opinion of him had changed utterly. I've only learned upon reading this page that Muhe died shortly after completing this film. It really is a fitting tribute.
It's one of the few films that has moved me to tears by the end and it wasn't achieved by cheap sentimentality but a genuinely moving story and fantastic performances all round.