Profile for Rolastef > Reviews

Rolastef (England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Morphy Richards 221151 Chroma Premium Toaster, 1000 Watt, White
Morphy Richards 221151 Chroma Premium Toaster, 1000 Watt, White

5.0 out of 5 stars Far better than the more expensive toaster we had previously, 6 Nov. 2014
Far better than the more expensive toaster we had previously. Toasts evenly! If making several batches of toast, do remember to turn it down after the first toast; toast takes less time when the toaster is hot.

Siberian Tiger Premium Quality Thick Rubber Mouse Mat Pad Soft Comfort Feel Finish
Offered by Snuggle

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 14 Aug. 2014
I would have like it a little bigger, but otherwise, it cannot be faulted. Good grip for the mouse.

Melitta Four Cup Coffee Filter Paper Brown Pack of 80
Melitta Four Cup Coffee Filter Paper Brown Pack of 80
Offered by Certified Insane Clothing Company Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 14 Aug. 2014
I still like my coffee made this way!

Tala Preserving Labels, Set of 60
Tala Preserving Labels, Set of 60

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 14 Aug. 2014
Best labels for jam - and pretty good for freezer bags too. Not cheap though.

Anchor Hocking 86616L8 3-Tier Cake Stand
Anchor Hocking 86616L8 3-Tier Cake Stand
Offered by Great Dealz Direct

5.0 out of 5 stars so a two tiered Pavlova will do nicely. Good value, 14 Aug. 2014
Arrived next day(as needed for an emergency celebration). Our idea was to make a 3-tier Pavlova, but the stand is bigger than thought, so a two tiered Pavlova will do nicely. Good value!

Nut Cracker Heavy Duty Walnut Plier Nut Opener Shell Cracker Shell Remover
Nut Cracker Heavy Duty Walnut Plier Nut Opener Shell Cracker Shell Remover
Offered by Grids London

4.0 out of 5 stars BASIC NUTCRACKERS - PERFECT FOR STRONG HAND, 20 Nov. 2013
I always have trouble with fancy nutcrackers and these are exactly what I wanted. Simple basic nutcrackers, a design that has stood the test of time. These are well-made. But you do need a strong grip.

A Fine and Private Place: A Sandro Cellini Novel (Sandro Cellini series Book 2)
A Fine and Private Place: A Sandro Cellini Novel (Sandro Cellini series Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars TERRIFIC DEVELOPMENT FROM THE FIRST IN THE SERIES, 8 Aug. 2013
I have read three of the Sandro Cellini novels, but out of order. At least I shall come to no. 3 after no. 2, and I am looking forward to it. Although I had some doubts about the first in the series, A Time of Mourning, they were not enough to discourage me from following Sandro Cellino further. He is a most attractive main character and his relationship with his wife, Luisa and occasional side-kick, Giuli forms an appealing sub-plot to the tale. Unfortunately, I went from No. 1 to the highly enjoyable No. 4, A Darkness Descending; unfortunate because it gave away some of the character development in this book, No. 2, but that did not alter my enjoyment.

I will not summarise the plot again; that has been ably done by other reviewers. For lovers of Italian detectives, and indeed, for lovers of detective fiction, I am simply content to recommend the book highly. In fact, I recommend that you read all the Sandro Cellini novels, but preferably in the right order!

Just a footnote for the Kindle editors. There is a most irritating extra space after apostrophes and it causes a real interruption in the flow of the text.

Italian Easy Reader: Un amore per la tua cucina (Italian Edition)
Italian Easy Reader: Un amore per la tua cucina (Italian Edition)

3.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for Italian practice but ..., 23 July 2013
Two stories in Italian which I could read with just the challenge I needed. Great for practice, especially for the conjunctions I keep forgetting, and I do recommend them on that basis. I am guessing that the stories have been simplified for the reader, because it would be difficult to recommend them as good reads. In fact, the second tale of an indecisive man - should he go for the girl with looks or the one with culinary skills - was toe-curlingly awful in places although enlightening about Italian food.

Suspend your critical faculties and just enjoy the Italian.

A Darkness Descending (Sandro Cellini series Book 4)
A Darkness Descending (Sandro Cellini series Book 4)

5.0 out of 5 stars Competition for Montalbano and Brunetti, 23 Jun. 2013
More by luck than by judgement, I am reading the Sandro Cellini novels out of order. I enjoyed the first in the series, A Time of Mourning, although I had some doubts about it but too many. I was encouraged to try another in the series, and this was it, A Darkness Descending.

The book shows a remarkable leap in the confidence of the author and the development of her very attractive team of key characters. This story of a tragic suicide and an honest politician (something of a novelty in Italy) with a side story of the grooming of a young student pulls the reader in very quickly. For lovers of detective stories set in Italy, Sandro Cellini could soon be up there with Montalbano and Brunetti.

One of the charms for lovers of such fiction is the sense of place, and if I have one criticism of the book - a trivial one - it is that the city of Florence does not play as big a part as I would like. But that is carping. Read it.

I now go back to nos. 2 and 3 with considerable anticipation, and I look forward to no. 5.

The Dance Of The Seagull: The Inspector Montalbano Mysteries - Book 15
The Dance Of The Seagull: The Inspector Montalbano Mysteries - Book 15

4.0 out of 5 stars MONTALBANO BACK ON FORM, 1 April 2013
It is always good to have a new Montalbano and this one is a return to form after the disappointment of his last appearance. Perhaps still not back to the form of the earlier books, but nevertheless, no-one does Italian detective fiction better than Camilleri.

There is a nice knowing internal joke for those of us who are fans of the television series. The much-missed Livia joins Montalbano for a holiday and wants to go to the Val di Noto. Montalbano replies “I wouldn’t want to run into a film crew shooting an episode of that television series just as we’re walking around there … They film them round there, you know.”

Poor Livia does not get her holiday since Montalbano must concentrate on finding his missing subordinate Fazio. I am sure that the plot will be reviewed by others so suffice it to day it twists and turns in a most satisfying manner, and Montalbano gets to eat some good meals.

My one reservation concerns Montalbano’s continued obsession with “the onset of old age”. It is an unwelcome distraction, particularly given that he is only 57. Is this Camilleri projecting his own worries onto our hero?

Page: 1 | 2 | 3