Profile for Psycho Mom > Reviews

Psycho Mom

Sony DPFA710B 7 Inch LCD Photo Frame
Sony DPFA710B 7 Inch LCD Photo Frame

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value, 9 Jan 2011
Look at the important points by Paul Eli. All true. I would just add that you can enlarge the photo, adjust what part you want to see, then crop it and either overwrite the original or save it alongside original. (If only it removed red eye, it'd be perfect!) The remote is a breeze to use, very intuitive. Love it!

Joseph Joseph Adjustable Wooden Rolling Pin
Joseph Joseph Adjustable Wooden Rolling Pin

3.0 out of 5 stars Very useful, but workmanship?, 18 Mar 2010
I bought this rolling pin mainly so my 5yo daughter could make cookies with me, but also because I myself don't roll doughs out evenly.

As soon as the rolling pin came I made a batch of cookies, and they were perfect. And then my daughter rolled out the dough for 5 cookie-octopuses. Also perfect. That was great. For this, I love this rolling pin.

Not great: the end of that same day I realized that one end was just turning around (it's supposed to turn in and stop), and then found that the plastic part into which the end of the pin rolls into just came out; it wasn't glued in properly. Ok, it's a minor thing, but on the very first day? Really annoying. So one star off.

The 2nd star is off because I think it needs at least one more set of rollers for another dough thickness. As of now, I only foresee using the 6mm rollers (1/4"; though the rolled out dough looked more like 4mm to me), as the small ones (nominally 2mm, but really 1/16" which is 1.6mm)produce dough too thin, and the 10mm (3/8") dough too thick for most things I make.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 26, 2012 6:17 PM GMT

Baking: From My Home to Yours
Baking: From My Home to Yours
by Dorie Greenspan
Price: 23.84

5.0 out of 5 stars A Classic, 16 Jan 2010
I had tried many of Dorie's recipes found online, and loved every one of them. My husband loved them. Even my 5yo daughter's favorite cookies and cupcakes are Dorie's recipes. So I finally just bought the book. The only thing I miss is a picture with every recipe. And no statement on how amazingly, addictively, good is the "All-in-one" cake.

The thing that makes this book a must have is not just that it's massive, with every type of cake/cookie/pie out there, but that each recipe includes variations, sometimes unexpected, tripling the number of recipes. I made parmesan sables (a variation on the basic sable) last week and they were scrumptious. So one can find the appropriate recipe for any occasion. And every single thing I made has been delicious. How many cookbooks can you say that about?

I find Dorie's descriptions of different stages incredibly helpful ("don't worry if the batter looks curdled at this point", "mix it until it looks satiny", ...). As well as her general intros (e.g., difference in the texture of pie crust made with butter vs. shortening), or techniques on how to make light doughs (what butter mixed into the flour should look like). And the fact that she tells you what can be frozen and how, that's such a great tip.

One thing I am not crazy about, but not worth taking away even 1/2 the star: the index. Could be more readable (there are so many subheadings that they go on the following pages and then it's hard to know what they are under), and some things have not been listed under their actual names (e.g., my beloved "All-in-one-cake" is not listed as its own heading, but as a subheading under "apple", which happens to be one of the ingredients).