Profile for para3drop > Reviews

para3drop

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
No Longer Safe
No Longer Safe

5.0 out of 5 stars An interesting mystery from an author with her own individual style., 11 Feb. 2016
This review is from: No Longer Safe (Kindle Edition)
This is the second book I have read by this author and I have become used to her varied characters with their individual ways. She keeps us guessing, at times leaving us wondering what is going on, however I found the complex mysterious plot and the exchanges between the quirky characters kept my attention. I hesitate to say any more, as it is the reader's task to find out what is going on..

17 Carnations: The Windsors, The Nazis and The Cover-Up
17 Carnations: The Windsors, The Nazis and The Cover-Up

1.0 out of 5 stars Not for me., 6 Feb. 2016
I began this book by reading the acknowledgements, which listed many names including those of several professors. On moving on to the book itself, I was quickly given the impression that its content consisted solely of a carefully compiled single minded exercise in character assassination, the effect of which was to create boredom rather than interest. Condemnation of the principal characters was incessant, evidence coming from sources such as documents and letters, some of which no longer exist, or have been locked away. To strengthen the case against the principal characters, gossip is used, including the unsubstantiated suggestion that Wallis Simpson made a study of techniques used in brothels in the far east to expand her social skills. Despite this, I found it a dull read.

Dark Place to Hide
Dark Place to Hide

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of interesting people to read about in this mystery, 4 Feb. 2016
When I started this book, it seemed unreal, At first I could not get used to the main character addressing his missing wife in the first person, whilst at the same time talking to other people who were in his company. However having got accustomed to his strange ways, I found myself drawn into the plot, which involved many diverse and interesting people. The story kept me guessing and a solution to the mystery surrounding the disappearance of two people was kept until the end. I thought the author's portrayal of so many diverse and interesting characters was a highlight of the book.

Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl Written by Herself
Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl Written by Herself

3.0 out of 5 stars A Harrowing Tale, 29 Jan. 2016
It would be a strange person who could claim to have enjoyed reading this book. It portrays the lives of slaves in the Confederate States of the US before the Civil War. To have no "rights of ownersip of anything" to the extent that the master (or mistress), by right of possession could beat you to death or do whatever else he wished with you; even selling your children to others as slaves, is hard to imagine.
We must realise that there are people in the world at this present time whose lives are subjected to similar conditions, and given that within the human race there are those whose ambition is to dominate and make slaves of others. we must be ever watchful in defending our right to be free.
I must confess that I did not finish this book.

All the Light We Cannot See
All the Light We Cannot See

5.0 out of 5 stars A different kind of story about people at war., 26 Jan. 2016
A remarkable book; not so much about WW2, but about how the war affects two people and their families. Before the war starts, you are introduced to the girl and boy who are the principal characters, one living in Paris, the other in Germany and learn a great deal about them; their personalities, their backgrounds, their strengths and their weaknesses. Later you will discover the tenuous link which briefly brings them together. The onset of the war changes their circumstances and takes the reader through the traumas they experience. It is not an action-packed thriller, but a description of how traumatic historical events shape the lives of two very different people. The plot switches from one person's experience to the other's and time is not recorded in sequence. As in real life there are periods of tedium and times of high emotion. It is quite a long story, but very well written and worth reading.

Jumbl Wireless Indoor & Outdoor Digital Weather Station - Monitors Temperature, Dew Point, Barometer and Humidity With a built-in Weather Forecast Tendency Indicator
Offered by Smart Shop UK

5.0 out of 5 stars A good product, 26 Jan. 2016
Good product. Does all it promises to do.
Display clear and easily read.

Angel of Baker Street
Angel of Baker Street

4.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable racy read. Pity about the Amazon adverts on the Kindle site., 16 Jan. 2016
A good action-packed story of British French and German agents' actions in occupied France during WW2., involving intrigue, distrust, action and romance. We are kept guessing about the trustworthiness of certain characters until the end. If I was to offer criticism, it would be of the overseeing of the agents' departure to France by a mere corporal and the Avenue Foch intrusion seemingly met by a single German private soldier.
I enjoyed the extent and variety of action which the story offered.

Still pestered on the Kindle site by sudden Amazon adverts for super nappy pins, car spares, black eye liner, blow -up Thomsom sub-machine guns and other things which I do not use. NOT FUNNY AMAZON !

The Girl from Krakow: A Novel
The Girl from Krakow: A Novel

5.0 out of 5 stars A superb WW11 book about people caught up in the turmoil of war in eastern Europe.., 8 Jan. 2016
The story which starts slowly with a romance between pre-war Polish Jewish students, speeds up as the national and political differences in Europe explode into World War 11. The pace quickens and the couple are separated. The plot follows the girl Rita's experiences throughout the conflict and we are made aware of how as a Jew her life is constantly at risk. We are given a vivid picture of the Ghettos and the brutal steps taken to exterminate the Jewish people. We are taken through the dangers and confusion of occupation; in some places, in turn by Russian, German and again Russian forces. It is disturbing to see how cheaply the gift of life can be held. The comprehensive picture of the struggle for power and influence within the separate warring forces is revealing, as is the political negotiations between the warring forces prior to the declaration of war. Despite this, it is a a book about people, whose lives we follow through the progress of the War.

War Horse
War Horse

5.0 out of 5 stars A good story, well written and a delight to read, 31 Dec. 2015
This review is from: War Horse (Kindle Edition)
In this story we are transported into the mind of a horse, to share in his relationships with the humans he encounters. The scene is set just prior to and during the First World War and tells of his experiences in France on both sides of the front line. The various human characters he encounters are well drawn and the exchanges of feelings between them and the horse are well described without being mawkish.
A good story, well written and a delight to read.

Let Me Be Frank With You: A Frank Bascombe Book
Let Me Be Frank With You: A Frank Bascombe Book

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for me., 30 Dec. 2015
I read part of this book, but found the writing style to be overworked and tedious. The principal character rambled on at great length, but I found nothing he had to say particularly informative or entertaining. Enough said !

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20