Profile for TwinkleToes > Reviews

Content by TwinkleToes

TwinkleToes

Page: 1 | 2
Animal Doodles (Usborne Activity Cards)
Animal Doodles (Usborne Activity Cards)
by Fiona Watt
Edition: Cards
Price: 5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 28 Jan 2011
Excellent activity cards for 4 years and upwards I would say. There are loads of double sided dry-wipe cards, great for anywhere, in the car, at home, waiting for appointments, etc, anywhere the children need to be occupied. As a teacher I bought a few sets for my class and they love them, the cards are robust, well designed and have really stimulating colours and activities. Highly recommend. Excellent value for money. I bought 5 of these with different themes and unlike others comments all the dry-wipe pens worked well. Will definitely be buying more for presents!

Christmas Doodles (Usborne Activity Cards)
Christmas Doodles (Usborne Activity Cards)
by Fiona Watt
Edition: Cards
Price: 5.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, 28 Jan 2011

Orchard Toys Who's in the Jungle?
Orchard Toys Who's in the Jungle?
Price: 7.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Jigsaw for independant and collaborative play, 9 Oct 2009
This is one of the best Jigsaw puzzles for young children that I have found. I am a teacher and parent and appreciate that my 2 year old really enjoys this puzzle, and is now able to play independently with it. The design is excellent - it is bright, colouful and very interesting but more importantly there is a significant part of the picture in every piece, so it makes it easy for a young child to recognise and complete. We have other jigsaw's where many pieces are the same colour, and this quickly loses its charm!
Our child gets so much more fun and satisfaction from this jigsaw as each piece leads clearly on to the next and we have lots of discussion about it - all great for positional language like 'above, below, beside and next to' etc colour recognition, size difference and general discussion about the animals and what they are doing. It is very well made and is really durable, and the pieces are just the right size/thickness for smaller hands.
We play with this over and over, it is a favourite in our house.
An educational, fun, well made toy that my child can play independently. Love it!

30 Day Shred [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
30 Day Shred [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Jillian Michaels
Offered by supermart_usa
Price: 5.28

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING DVD THAT WORKS!!!!!!, 20 Aug 2009
I am moderately fit, but I'm more jiggly and overweight than I'd like to be. I had heard impressive things about this dvd so thought I'd give it a try. I was sceptical about this method of just 20 minutes a day, but I cannot believe the results I've had already from doing this DVD for just 4 days. It is very tough, but the moves change quickly so you don't feel like you're over-stressing any particular body part. My abs, arms, thighs and rear have shrunk/firmed noticably in just 4 days, and I feel great. I am usually very anti-exercise, but I feel so motivated to keep doing it because of how I feel in such a short amount of time. You just get an amazing all over workout in an unbelieveable 20 minutes a day.

The direction is clear and thorough from Jillian, and there are modifications on each exercise to make them easier/harder. I wasn't sure if I'd like her tough, no-nonsense style, but it's actually very good, she gives you encouragement and guidance in just the right places. You can find thousands of reviews for this DVD on amazon.com mostly from the USA, all highly recommended from people who've done the 30 days or more and are still impressed with it. I did a search on '30 day shred' and there are loads of sites where people (or 'shredheads' as they call themselves) have put photos and info of their amazing weightloss and toning. Very inspirational, and it actually works in just 20 minutes a day - fantastic for people with a normal busy life who just can't afford the time or money at a gym. Oh, also, you need hand weights to do this dvd, I had to run for the tins of soup the first time I did it, so invest in some hand weights if you don't already have some.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 10, 2011 10:17 PM GMT

Charlie Brooks: Before and After Workout [DVD] [2005]
Charlie Brooks: Before and After Workout [DVD] [2005]
Dvd ~ Charlie Brooks
Offered by TwoRedSevens
Price: 5.35

5.0 out of 5 stars Motivating, fun, fast dvd, 16 Aug 2009
I don't enjoy exercise, but this DVD has made it easier to do. I have tried other fitness DVD's before but was unimpressed and quickly became bored and lacked motivation. This one however has kept my interest, and I do it 3 times a week and don't dread it or stay on the sofa with wine and chocolate.
The workout is challenging but interesting enough to keep you going, the moves are helpfully repetitive but not boring, and I find I am thinking about the moves and footwork more than how much it's hurting or how much I'd rather stop.
The time passes quite fast and you get a great workout. I like how it feels like I'm working lots of bits at the same time and that the workout goes quickly and before I know it, it's the end Pilates bit (hard on the stomache, but worth it) and then it's all over! Chore done for another day!
I enjoyed this one so also bought Natalie Cassidy's Then and Now Workout done with the same trainer too, and it helps to alternate between the two to keep my interest and motivation. I don't get bored and this is the first time in my life I've actually stuck to a fitness routine for longer than 2 weeks.

A Fine Romance: The Complete Series [DVD]
A Fine Romance: The Complete Series [DVD]
Dvd ~ Judi Dench
Price: 11.25

5.0 out of 5 stars great gift for the in-laws, 10 Jan 2009
This is a well written, very well acted series. We now live in the USA and started watching re-runs on PBS but only got the first 2 series, and loved it so much we wanted more.
After the first few episodes of the first series it really warms up and is clever, quick witted and full of endearing querky characters and great storylines. It is a superb testiment to the old way of making good tv, by letting characters develop and storylines to improve, instead of launching a pilot and pulling it before it really has a chance to progress and mature.
It all looks very dated (think 80's) but is wonderfully nostalgic. Judy Dench is excellent, as are all the cast.
We also bought a copy as a Christmas gift for the in-laws and they've loved it more than the first time round when they watched it on tv.
It's popular with us in our early 30's and the older generation too. Good tv is good tv.
Highly recommend.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 23, 2011 11:20 AM BST

Baby Boost Nursery Rhymes [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Baby Boost Nursery Rhymes [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Artist Not Provided

4.0 out of 5 stars 2 year old loves it, 10 Jan 2009
This DVD has about 70 minutes of running time. My 2 year old loves it and asks for it a lot. She's not really into tv much and it doesn't usually hold her attention for more than a few minutes. This DVD however seems to interest her for up to an hour. It's 5 or 6 of the sections formerly available free on comcast 'on demand', but which are slowly being deleted in turn (which I why we ordered it)
The nursery rhymes are sung one after the other in a traditional style in children's voices. You see film of groups of children dancing, joining in and doing the actions to the rhymes (which she joins in with).
It seems to be her favourite thing to have on the tv at the moment, and since she isn't interested in tv very much it gives me valuable time to do the housework! The only annoying thing about it is that the children singing often hit 'bum notes' which I guess is to be expected from children. (Though as a picky former teacher, I'd have thought a better 'audition process' would have found better pitched singers) Overall it's fairly low budget, but our 2 year old seems to love it! I rate it 4 stars because I bought it to hold her attention, and it does that well.

Page: 1 | 2