Profile for K. Clarke > Reviews

Content by K. Clarke

K. Clarke "(I only review books I enjoy)" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
How the In-Laws Wrecked Christmas
How the In-Laws Wrecked Christmas

5.0 out of 5 stars funny, well-written story that put me in a festive ..., 12 Jan. 2015
Lovely, funny, well-written story that put me in a festive mood.
Can't wait for the author's new novel now.

Enough Said [DVD] [2013]
Enough Said [DVD] [2013]
Dvd ~ James Gandolfini

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic performances all around, 12 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Enough Said [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
Fantastic performances all around, particularly from Julia Dreyfuss who is a natural. A touching, funny, grown-up romance that made me laugh and cry. Perfect.

Hello from the Gillespies
Hello from the Gillespies

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved this book so much, 12 Jan. 2015
I loved this book so much, I've read three more of the author's since!
Great characters, absorbing story, beautifully written. Can't ask for more.

The House of Memories
The House of Memories

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 21 Dec. 2014
What a beautiful read this was, I couldn't stop once I'd started. It was heartbreaking in places - I don't often cry when reading, but this had me in tears. There was plenty of humour too, to balance things out. The story was written with such warmth and depth, I felt like the cast were all family members by the end, and although Jess still struck me as being thoroughly spoilt, I did at least have more sympathy for her by the end of the story - a testament to the skill of the author! I'm so glad there are lots more Monica McInerney books I can get stuck into and am off to download another right now.

The Twilight Hour
The Twilight Hour
by Nicci Gerrard

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 17 Nov. 2014
This review is from: The Twilight Hour (Paperback)
Another beautiful read from Nicci Gerrard - one of my favourite authors. A wonderully crafted story about family and relationships, full of mystery and intrigue. Her best yet, in my opinion. Already looking forward to the next one.

The One Plus One
The One Plus One

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 26 Oct. 2014
This review is from: The One Plus One (Kindle Edition)
A warm and wonderfully uplifting read. Loved all the characters, they felt like friends by the end - I would happily have shared a long car journey with them!

First Fruits
First Fruits

5.0 out of 5 stars Chillingly superb, 29 July 2014
This review is from: First Fruits (Kindle Edition)
I heard about this novel on Facebook and am so glad I downloaded it. I could barely put it down and read it over two nights. I love an unreliable narrator, and 14-year old Kate Carr is one of the best I've read. The tone was perfect, and brought her so vividly to life I could almost see her (which was pretty scary). It was a suspenseful, creepy, intense read, with plenty of hooks (and some laughs) and a cast of well-rounded characters - her minister father was a truly terrifying creation. It was hard to warm to Kate at first, but as the plot unfolded I was rooting for her all the way. Brilliant.

I'm off to download the author's first book now.

Little Egypt (Salt Modern Fiction)
Little Egypt (Salt Modern Fiction)

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning, 20 May 2014
Another triumph for the supremely talented Lesley Glaister. I've read all her books, and a new one is a treat to look forward to. Little Egypt was well worth the wait, as original and atmospheric as her previous books, with brilliantly developed characters, dealing with obsession, neglect and madness. I loved the descriptions of Egyptology, of which I knew nothing before, and the 1920s setting - described in flashbacks by the main character, Isis, now an old woman - was brought vividly to life. It's a macabre and deeply sinister tale in parts, and darkly humorous in others.

Hard to sum up in a way that will do the book justice, I can only recommend that you read it!

The Facts of Life and Death
The Facts of Life and Death

5.0 out of 5 stars Unputdownable, 2 May 2014
Another superb novel from my favourite crime writer. I think this was her best to date. As dark, unsettling, atmospheric and wryly humorous as ever, but the author's superb characterisation and dialogue is what raises her stories above others in the genre, in my opinion - along with a totally original plot, and twists I never see coming. As usual, I read it far too quickly, and now wish that I hadn't!

The Boy That Never Was
The Boy That Never Was

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 25 April 2014
I couldn't put this down once I'd started. Atmospheric, well-written and tightly plotted, it gripped from the word go. I loved that the story was told from alternating viewpoints, which gave greater insight into both main characters, and I felt strongly for both of them. It's a subtly layered novel - as a study of grief the story is totally believable, but it's an intriguing thriller too. I actually felt the ending lent itself to a sequel... which I wouldn't complain about at all!

Great debut.