Profile for Dean Collins > Reviews

Content by Dean Collins

Dean Collins (Barnsley, England)

Pan's Labyrinth (Exclusive to Amazon.co.uk - Limited Edition Art Cards and Slipcase) [DVD] [2006]
Dvd ~ Ivana Baquero

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning from start to finish, 23 Mar. 2007
Don't be put off by the fact that this is a Spanish Language film, within 5 minutes I was so engrossed in the film I completely forgot to notice I was reading subtitles. The titles themselves are very well done, they are paced perfectly and convey the mood of the scenes just right.

This isn't a film for children by any means, it's quite graphic and violent in parts, but I found that only strengthed the fantasy side of it. I feel Guillermo Del Toro wanted to show the juxtaposition between the violence of the adult world against the beauty and innocence of the childs - much like his other film (Devils Backbone).

I was left stunned and speechless by this film - its perhaps the best thing I've seen this year by a long way.