ARRAY(0xa9f9b5dc)

Fallen: Book 1 of the Fallen Series
Fallen: Book 1 of the Fallen Series
Price: 2.83

1.0 out of 5 stars OVERRATED!!!, 3 April 2012
I finally read this book last month. I had wanted to read it for quite some time. I wish I hadn't bothered, it was the biggest waste of my time and money ever. I will not be buying teh rest of the series.

Firstly, and this is my personal preference and perhaps not a valid point, but it was written in third person. I HATE this style of writing, it only really works in action books, in my opnion. Not romance novels. It felt completely impersonal and meant that I found it really hard to relate to Luce. The thing is, she told the whole story from Luce's point of view, you didn't get added insight into the other characters by her writing this way, so there was no real reason to. I know this is just how some authors prefer to write, but I have read a LOT of YA paranormal romances and this is the only one written in third person. I found it to be really off putting and distracting.

Secondly, I didn't like ANY of the characters. They felt cold and out of place. I know they were supposed to all have issues, but I didn't find a single, relateable character amongst the whole cast. Especially not Luce. In fact the only character I even remotely liked was (SPOILER) killed off.

The pace of the story was very slow, building up the school and the characters at a snails pace that made me want to give up. But it has had such rave reviews, i kept waiting for it to get better. It never did.

This book was miserable, depressing and made me downright morose by the end. it was horrible to read. And the school seemed so far off the reservation that it just didnt seem realistic at all. There is no way they would get away with some of the stuff in real life. I know it's a novel and it's fantasy, but it was so over the top and forced that i just couldn't buy it.

And the love element was so contrived and stupid. It wasn't remotely romantic and there was about 2 paragraphs of interaction between the two leads the whole book. and i find it hard to believe that two people couldnt resist ONE kiss is if could mean the life of someone you love.

All in all, a depressing, poorly written and impossible to accept story. If you want to be bored to tears and depressed, then by all means, buy it. if you like a little bit of sparkle and light in a story, move on. I would recommend for you people the Hush, hush series, or searvh for Laury Falter's series, which are very cheap and very enjoyable. I'm sorry to be so negative, i try to be as objective as i can in reviews, but there literally was not a single thing i enjoyed about this book.

Fallen (Guardian Trilogy Book 1)
Fallen (Guardian Trilogy Book 1)
Price: 0.77

4.0 out of 5 stars Bought by accident - what a happy accident!!, 3 April 2012
I had been meaning to read Lauren Kate for quite a while, and I clicked and bought this book quite by accident (damn you one-click buying!!) As it was only 2 I didn't complain and thought I might as well read it. What a wonderful surprise! I loved it, it was very original! Most books these days all seem to copy of each other, which makes a find like this all the more special. Maggie was likeble and Eran was irresistable. I was dreading a love triangle opening up with Gershom, as I HATE it when authors force triangles down our throats - i like my love to be pure and simple lol. But, i was wrong and yet again pleasantly surprised. The interactions between Maggie and Eran seemed so genuine that they made your heart melt, there was not a single moment that felt forced. All in all, not the best book I've ever read, and trust me I've read thousands. But it was very enjoyable and as soon as I read this one, I downloaded 2 and 3 and they didnt disappoint!

Oh, and FYI I did eventaully get a hold of Kate's Fallen. It was AWFUL! (i've written another review of that if you want more info!)

Eternal Eden (Eden Trilogy, Book One)
Eternal Eden (Eden Trilogy, Book One)
Price: 0.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok book, great price (free!), 3 April 2012
I, probably like most who read this, downlooded it as I'm a fan of YA paranormal romances. And it was free. I was pleasantly surprised at first, I was drawn into the story quite quickly and the beginning of the novel moved really fast. She was immortal by i think 30 % of the way in.

However, I felt that Bryn was way, way, WAY too self depricating. It got to the point where it was actually annoying. As another poster commented, how many times does William have to declare his love before she believes it? And everyone obvioulsy thinks she is beautiful, but she won't have it! It's nice to have someone a little bit humble, but she was downright neurotic about it!

I also felt that after the first 30% of the novel, it moved incredibly slowly. Not a whole lot happened in about 50% of the book, if not more.

I did like the characters, but I admit Patrick was way more appealing than William, but I like the cheeky chappy type. It was a good twst to find out they were brothers, but again she moved very fast with this, he was introduced and then BAM a few pages later he's William's brother.

Bryn would have been likeable had she not had literally zero self awareness or confidence. It was really off putting how down she was about herself. I thought Bella Swan was bad, but she makes her look perfectly normal! She also accepted her fate a little too quickly. It was, like, I've changed you forever and she was like, Ok, so are we back together? Hmmmm....

John and Stella were also very over the top, more like pantomine villains than anyone actually scary.

The pacing of the whole novel was very weird, it would move like the speed of light at one moment, and then at a snails pace the next. The ending was quite exciting and I found I did care somewhat for the characters.

All being said, the book wasn't actually bad, I've read better but I've also read a whole lot worse, too. I would recommend anyone who is described in my first paragraph (a lover of YA romance novels) to have a look see at this - and not to forget, it's free so you really have nothng to loose! To the poster who said they wanted it to finish - nobody FORCED you ro read the whole thing!

I hope that this has been helpful, I know a lot of what I said was quite negative, but I do think a lot of people who like this type of book as a rule, will enjoy it. And it's quite a nice break from vampires/werewolves/angels/demons etc. a new twist on the genre.

Empire of Gold
Empire of Gold
by Andy Mcdermott

5.0 out of 5 stars Golden oldie??, 20 May 2011
This review is from: Empire of Gold (Paperback)
I love Andy McDermott, have done ever since my boyfriend happened upon Hunt for Atlantis. However, I feel the action is a little over powering. I don't mind a good action scene - my all time fave author is Matthew Reilly, which should speak volumes - but sometimes this book gets a little bit boring just because there doesn't seem to be any chapters with no action scenes. That being said, I still loved the book, a great story line and I love tehe charaters. The ending was very shocking and, without giving too much away, very upsetting!!! Can't wait for the next book, I have a sneaky feeling there may be a mini wilde-chase on the way :)

I Am Number Four
I Am Number Four
by Pittacus Lore
Price: 5.59

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty damn cool, 24 Mar 2011
This review is from: I Am Number Four (Paperback)
I must admit, this book was not what I was expecting, but it was very good. I enjoyed the pace, it was fast paced and exciting, yet the story lasted over several months. I had seen a trailer for the film, which is what led to me buy the book, and as I am sure a lot of people know, movies and books can be totally different! I would like to see the movie, but now that I've read the book I know it won't compare. I am sad that it was so short, I like my books long! The one thing that did surprise me was that it was actually a teen book, as I bought it in teh adult section of Asda. I'm not complaining as I do read teen literature, although not as much as I am in my mid-20s now. The only thing I didn't like was the tense - the whole thing was written in present rather than past tense, which got on my nerves a little bit. ("I say" rather than "I said", "I run" instead of "I ran", I know it sound like I'm being picky but it's just about the only thing I didn't like). If you want a reasonably easy to read, escapist fantasy then look no futher. It was imaginative and creative and fairly orginal. Biggest disspoointment was the sneek peek of the next book at the back, which turns out to be about a completely different character, as I really liked John/ Number 4.