Profile for Kate Willard > Reviews

Content by Kate Willard

Kate Willard "Realtor" (California)

Page: 1 | 2
MM--personal: From the Private Archive of Marilyn Monroe
MM--personal: From the Private Archive of Marilyn Monroe
by Lois W. Banner

5.0 out of 5 stars The Essence of Marilyn...., 5 May 2011
This book does what many before have tried but fallen short. It gives the reader a look into the real life of the iconic movie star and sex symbol. The basis of the documents presented in this book are the contents of her file cabinet . There are photographs, letters mementoes she had saved. The author presents the items with scholarly insight but not a lot of narrative, letting the documents a photos speak for themselves. Much is mundane, but there are surprises and you do get a glimpse of what is must have been like to forge her iconic image and keep that image intact. If you are a Marilyn fan the book is worth the price for the photographs alone, many or which have never been published before. This is a must have for any fan. For an introspective look at the making of Marilyn's final film I recommend "Misfits Country."

Broken
Broken
by Karin Slaughter

5.0 out of 5 stars Twist and turns that will keep you turning the pages!, 10 July 2010
This review is from: Broken (Hardcover)
Slaughter has become one of my favorite thriller authors because of her well rounded characters and the interesting interplay between them. With Broken the reader gets to spend time with characters from previous novels: Sara Linton, Lena, and Will Trent an agent for the Georgia Bureau of Investigation (GBI). The case of two murdered college students along with a suicide of a mentally challenged young man who has confessed to the murders. The confession however has been forced by Lena and when Sara learns this she contacts the GBI and hence Will Trent is called in.to look into the case. I don't want to give any of the surprises away but there are plenty of creative twists and turns that kept me turning the pages. This is an excellent thriller read! Speaking of creative twists and turns I do recommend the thriller A Tourist in the Yucatan.

Private: (Private 1)
Private: (Private 1)
by James Patterson

4.0 out of 5 stars Another good one from Paetro!, 24 Jun. 2010
This review is from: Private: (Private 1) (Hardcover)
I have given up on most Patterson's novels years ago, the one exception are the ones written with Ms. Paetro. Actually I should say written By Ms. Paetro as I am sure Patterson's contribution is minimal. The books are written by Paetro and Patterson's name is added to the cover to generate sales. This is a disgusting practice, but don't mind it so much in this case as the book is actually pretty good, thanks to Paetro! I just don't understand why Ms. Paetro cannot be given full credit for her work? Are we all such mind numb idiots that we will only buy something from a big name (a big name who has written a lot of garbage in recent years).

Jack Morgan has returned home from Afghanistan a war hero when he goes to visit his father in a California prison. Tom (Jack's Father) is serving a life term for murder and extortion. Tom wants his son to reopen his investigation business "Private" and gives him access to $15 million he has stashed away in an offshore account. In the years to come Jack builds the business into a world wide success with famous clients and a strong reputation. The story follows two plot lines one is the murder of an old friend's wife and the old friend is the number one suspect. The other involves one of Jack's investigators who has been called into a serial murder case by the LAPD. The killings are of school girls over the past two years and the police are desperate. This one hooked me from the beginning and never let go!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 2, 2010 7:43 PM BST

Easy Prey
Easy Prey
by John Sandford

3.0 out of 5 stars Not his best, 24 Jun. 2010
This review is from: Easy Prey (Paperback)
Not the best of the 'Prey': series but if you are a fan of Lucas Davenport (which I am) you will still want read this one. I don't think this book is as focused as some of the other 'Prey' books. This could also be a case of me over anticipating this book. A friend of mine read it, and it was her first John Sanford novel and she loved it. I am jealous she gets to go back and read all the early 'Prey' books.

Skinny Dip
Skinny Dip
by Carl Hiaasen

5.0 out of 5 stars My first Hiaasen - It will not be my last!, 24 Jun. 2010
This review is from: Skinny Dip (Paperback)
August 11, 2004
This was my first Hiaasen and what a great funny read (just what I needed after a stressful period in my life). He creates a great cast of outrageous characters, crazy villains and Florida wackos (Is Florida really like this?). He wraps it all up in a story with a message that does not come off preachy. Made me want to visit Florida to see all these crazy people and see what's left of her natural wonders before they are all gone. I am now looking forward to reading Hiaasen's other works!

I also recommend Randy White's Doc Ford Series.

State of Fear
State of Fear
by Michael Crichton

5.0 out of 5 stars The master Of the Techno thriller!, 24 Jun. 2010
This review is from: State of Fear (Hardcover)
My favorite author is back at it again! In this book Mr. Crichton takes the reader on a thrill ride that never lets up but keeps you thinking throughout. I can't go far into the plot without spoiling but this is a fast read that kept me turning the pages. In this novel the author looks at how information is manipulated in the modern world and fed to us common folks! It was a real eye opener for me. As usual the research is top notch but how he combines it with his trademark thriller style is riveting. The reader is transported to the streets of Paris, to the frozen world of the Antarctic, to topical jungles of the Solomon Islands. This is Crichton at the top of his game, and will make a great Xmas gift for any thriller fan.

4th of July (Womens Murder Club 4)
4th of July (Womens Murder Club 4)
by James Patterson

3.0 out of 5 stars Yawn!!!!!, 24 Jun. 2010
I had pretty much given up on Patterson a few years back, but given that this book was set in a place I used to live I decided to check it out. I can't say that things have gotten much better. The sad part is Mr. Patterson has the talent, but it is hard to keep up the quality when you churn out four books a year (but then again the general reading public keeps swallowing this stuff). I have not read the whole Woman's Murder club series, but I did read 1st to Die (one of the last Patterson books I really enjoyed) so I do not know the whole Lindsey Boxer story, but I do not think that effects my ability to review this book. The story follows Boxer, who is taking a little R and R from SFPD, and from an upcoming trial involving a wrongful death suit. She heads for Half Moon Bay (which is a little to close and too foggy for a vacation for most San Franciscans, she would at least have headed for the sunshine of Santa Cruz, or better yet Mexico!), and of course is immediately is embroiled in a murder investigation. Residents of the small town are being murdered in a gruesome fashion. and of course it is up to Boxer to figure things out. The plot is mildly entertaining, on the level of a made for TV movie of the week. The short chapters do nothing for me and I thought the level of detail insufficient, but that is a matter of taste. The Half Moon Bay is that of 25 years ago. The locals can no longer afford to live there as the place has become a bedroom community for San Francisco. I wouldn't say to not buy this book, if you are a fan of this series you probably will enjoy it, but if you are a casual reader or someone like me who has noted the decline in this author's quality, you might want to wait for paperback or a used copy. AND PLEASE MR. PATTERSON TAKE A COUPLE OF YEARS OFF AND WRITE A TRUELY WONDERFUL THRILLER! (you need the rest and so do we).

Furious Love: The Love Affair of Elizabeth and Richard
Furious Love: The Love Affair of Elizabeth and Richard
by Sam Kashner

5.0 out of 5 stars Had me furiously turning pages!, 24 Jun. 2010
This review is from: Furious Love (Hardcover)
For anyone who was alive in the 1960's and 70's, we know immediately who is being referred to when we here the names "Richard & Liz." The extravagant, extended, on again, off again love affair between these two Iconic Hollywood figures was tabloid fodder for two decades. This book serves it all up on a deliciously full plate. The books style is not dry and academic, nor is it overly salacious, but it does have a gossipy enough tone that exposes all the juicy details! Ok this is not great literature, but it a fun read that is hard to put down, and I think the authors do stick to the facts (with Liz and Richard truth is stranger than fiction). In the end, their story is a sad one. It seems that their fame may have prevented them from sharing a full life together, as they obviously were in love. For more great reading and insight into Hollywood icons I recommend "Misfits Country" (Marilyn Monroe, Clark Gable, and Montgomery Cliff).

Just Kids
Just Kids
by Patti Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars Where friendship and art meet., 2 Feb. 2010
This review is from: Just Kids (Hardcover)
This is an interesting memoir, especially for fans of Mapelthrope or Patti Smith. For the younger generation who may not be familiar with these two names. Maplethorpe was a photographer with a style that was recognizable no matter his subject (he died of AIDs in his early 40s in 1989) and lets just say he wore his homosexuality proudly (for more on mapelthorpe I recommend Mapplethorpe: A Biography). Smith is the poet singer song writer often referred to as the grandma of punk rock and an activist for many causes to this very day. In this Memoir Smith writes about her relationship with Maplethorpe in the late and early 1970s before they became famous. I thought it was fascinating to read about these two icons before they realized who the were or wanted to be. Its hard not to think of Smith as a poet rebel, guitar in hand or Mapelthorpe as the in your face artist, but Smith's book takes the reader back to when both were "Just Kids." You see Smith and Maplethorpe as young people, not always secure in who they are, groping to find their passions that were burning inside but not fully understood. In this memoir Smith also presents a picture of a New York that no longer exists, and that alone makes this wonderful reading. Not all song writers can successfully write lyrics as well as prose, Smith though has a gift with the written word that is transcendent. Heart felt and honest, like her music, I highly recommend this book. For more honest reading concerning Hollywood Icons in the 1960s I have to recommend "Misfits Country."

Paths of Glory
Paths of Glory
by Jeffrey Archer

5.0 out of 5 stars The Mystery of Everest...., 29 Mar. 2009
This review is from: Paths of Glory (Hardcover)
Years ago I had watched a fascinating documentary on the discovery of George Mallory's remains on Mt. Everest, so when I came upon this book at my local bookstore I had to read it!. Mallory's final days on Everest have been one of the great unsolved Mysteries of the 20th century. Yes Mallory died on Everest back in 1924, but was it before or after reaching the summit? This is historical fiction in which Archer brings George Mallory, and those surrounding him, to life. Though fiction it was easy to see that the author had done his research. As in all good historical fiction the author does not cheat on the facts while taking us into the soul of the subject.

Page: 1 | 2