Profile for John E. Davidson > Reviews

Content by John E. Davidson

John E. Davidson (Purley)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Forgotten Men [DVD]
Forgotten Men [DVD]

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting but flawed, 15 July 2014
This review is from: Forgotten Men [DVD] (DVD)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A really interesting documentary packed with great footage and fascinating insight into views and attitudes of the time. Highly recommended for anyone with an interest in the period.

However, it is far from without fault. I really struggled to persuade my two boys (13 & 10) to sit down and watch this. So much of this documentary is 'of its time'; the style of the presenters/speakers jars and feels stilled and unnatural to the modern ear - ultimately the boys simply refused to watch any more.

Ultrasport Men's Softshell Jacket Stan with Ultraflow 5.000 - Navy/Navy, XX-Large

4.0 out of 5 stars Good jacket., 15 July 2014
An excellent jacket.

Nicely tailored and snug. This jacket certainly keeps you warm.

So far has proved to be highly windproof but I've had little opportunity to test how water proof it is (part of the problem is that the jacket is so warm it isn't really appropriate for wearing in the summer).

All I've got to do now is keep my wife away from it (as she covets it for herself).

Ultrasport Men's Trek 100 Outdoor Trekking Pants - Beige, X-Large
Ultrasport Men's Trek 100 Outdoor Trekking Pants - Beige, X-Large

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 15 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A really nice pair of trousers.

Ultra lightweight (much lighter that similar trousers I've owned) and very fast drying. While I like the facility to turn them into shorts, I've not needed to use it as the trousers are so cool.

Just be a bit careful of the sizing. X Large aren't quite as large as they usually are.

Brilliant
Brilliant
by Roddy Doyle

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost Brilliant, 12 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Brilliant (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Depression, the Black Dog on the cover, is a bold subject to tackle in a book for children but Doyle handles it skilfully.

I really enjoyed this book – the construct is neat (taking a metaphor literally), the story moves along at a good pace and the dialogue is a brilliant as ever.

As enjoyable as his adult fiction.

Now I only need to persuade my teenage son to read it!

Targus TSM68904EU Geo Gibson Messenger Laptop Bag 15.6 inch - Grey
Targus TSM68904EU Geo Gibson Messenger Laptop Bag 15.6 inch - Grey

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent Bag, 9 Jun. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have mixed feelings about this bag and after two weeks of constant use I am still a little conflicted.

The bag is very (very) lightweight and well made. The internal compartments are well padded and well suited for carrying laptops and tablets. The shoulder strap is

While this bag won't win any bag beauty parades but it is not unattractive.

The issues are:
The handle is absurdly thin (and feels flimsy); a more substantial handle is required,.
Some of the design 'twiddles' are annoying; for example the faux leather fixtures for the front flap.

Rapesco P1100 Heavy Duty 2-Hole Punch, 100 sheet Capacity - Black/Purple
Rapesco P1100 Heavy Duty 2-Hole Punch, 100 sheet Capacity - Black/Purple

5.0 out of 5 stars The last hole punch I will ever buy, 8 Jun. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
To be honest, this hole punch is a little over specified for my requirements. That said it makes every other hole punch I've ever used (let alone owned) seem inadequate.

Fantastic.

Rapesco Supaclip 60 Dispenser with 8 Clips
Rapesco Supaclip 60 Dispenser with 8 Clips

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice alternative to staples and/or paper clips, 8 Jun. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was a little unsure about what to expect when I ordered this product. I was very pleasantly surprised; once I actually used it, it all made sense.

It is essentially a super paper clip, working particularly well in situations where there is too much paper for an ordinary paper clip or staple.

The dispenser is neat, easy to use and easy to refill. Recommended.

Are We All Scientific Experts Now?
Are We All Scientific Experts Now?
by Harry Collins

4.0 out of 5 stars Very interesting, 30 May 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This short book feels more like an essay than it book. It explores the sociology of science (and the sociology of scientific knowledge).

This is an interesting book covering different types of expertise and looking at the reasons for the dramatic decline in confidence in science and scientists.

I’m not entirely convinced by the arguments but the case (for the treatment of science and scientists) is interesting and well presented, providing considerable food for thought. I expect to re-read this book in the near future.

A very good read.

Belkin USB 2.0 Fast Ethernet Adapter 10/100Mbps for Macbook/Ultrabooks
Belkin USB 2.0 Fast Ethernet Adapter 10/100Mbps for Macbook/Ultrabooks
Offered by BESTBUYIT

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple but effective, 27 May 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The combination of a laptop without an Ethernet port and temperamental home WiFi was causing problems. This has provided the solution.

It just works (although it does appear to work best with a dedicated USB port (rather than via a USB hub)).

NOCO G7200UK Genius Smart Battery Charger
NOCO G7200UK Genius Smart Battery Charger

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Charger, 5 May 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The charger was much smaller, lighter (and generally portable) than I had expected, although It's been so long since I used or needed a battery charger that my expectations may have been seriously out of date.

It is compact and feels well-made. It comes with good quality connectors. I haven't used the wall mounting but it looks good and I will use it if I ever move to a house with an attached garage.

As others have pointed out the manual is something of a challenge, but the charger is pretty simple and intuitive.

Overall this is a really nice charger; very impressed.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20