Profile for John E. Davidson > Reviews

Content by John E. Davidson

John E. Davidson (Purley)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
AmazonBasics Apple Certified Lightning to USB Cable - 3 Feet (0.9 Meters) - White

5.0 out of 5 stars It works, 24 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
All you really require of a lightning cable is that it is robust and that it does the job. This cable meets both requirements.

It appears to be manufactured to a high standard with a cylindrical cable. I have a slight preference for the flat cables but this is fine. I’ve used it to charge both an iPhone 5 and a iPad - it worked perfectly well with both. No annoying “charging not supported with this device” messages and charge time pretty much the same as with an Apple cable.

I've bought a number of items from the Amazon Basics range and they have all worked well.

The Liar's Ball: The Extraordinary Saga of How One Building Broke the Worlds Toughest Tycoons
by Vicky Ward

3.0 out of 5 stars Not that extraordinary, 24 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
It’s slightly strange that an Extraordinary Saga can end up being rather predictable.

It is the moderately entertaining tale of slightly sordid business dealings. It is hampered by the fact that while the cast of characters are interesting they are almost universally rather unlikable.

I have some reservations about the style. The author’s journalist background is never far from the surface. The style is punchy, aiming for a conversational narrative. Everyone is introduced with one paragraph pen portraits - inevitably they flirt with cliche - but at their worst seem like extracts from 1950s history textbooks.

An enjoyable read but I was left with the feeling that it could have been so much better.

GBC 46700E A4 Leather Grain Binding Covers 250gsm - Black
GBC 46700E A4 Leather Grain Binding Covers 250gsm - Black

3.0 out of 5 stars Meh, 20 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These are a little disappointing on almost every level.

My sheets are black. They look fine but…. they aren’t particularly robust - the covers are neither substantially thicker nor substantially sturdier than good quality paper. I guess that they have a “leather grain effect” if you squint hard enough but most of the time I struggle to notice it.

I’m not entirely sure what I’m going to use them for.

Flexable 1500 mg Sustained Release Glucosamine Tablets - Pack of 3
Flexable 1500 mg Sustained Release Glucosamine Tablets - Pack of 3
Offered by PharmEthicals Ltd

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for me, 14 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I’m afraid I’ve struggled with these tablets and it is mostly my own fault. The root of my problem was a lack of knowledge about the constituents of Glucosamine: fish and most significantly for me, shellfish. If I had known this I would not have got the tablets.

I am mildly allergic to some shellfish but more significantly shellfish appears to trigger attacks of gout. While taking these tablets I had a mild attack of gout and stopped taking them.

I did not take them for long enough to be able to comment on their efficacy.

Natures Aid 250 ml Liquid Coconut Oil
Natures Aid 250 ml Liquid Coconut Oil

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice addition to the kitchen, 10 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a very pleasant cooking oil and a great addition to the kitchen. It comes in a nice glass bottle, it pours very nicely and has a pleasant aroma that isn’t overpowering. So far I’ve used it successfully in cooking stir-fries and as a salad dressing. I intend to experiment further.

I cannot comment of the alleged associated health benefits.

Copy, Copy, Copy: How to Do Smarter Marketing by Using Other People's Ideas
Copy, Copy, Copy: How to Do Smarter Marketing by Using Other People's Ideas
by Mark Earls

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, 10 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
To be honest I’m not entirely sure what to make of this book. It is interesting - packed with ideas and anecdotes around the central theme that copying is good (in fact the thesis is that copying is not just good but fundamental).

It is presented in a bright colourful format - with content scattered across the page. In the end I found it all rather charming and engaging but it could easily have gone the other way. I was entertained but not much has ‘stuck’; this does not appear to be a book that I will be quoting in the future.

Packed with interesting stuff: this is a book I plan to return to; hopefully more will stick on a second reading.

Car-Jacked
Car-Jacked
by Ali Sparkes

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Fun, 6 Aug. 2015
This review is from: Car-Jacked (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A hugely enjoyable romp following the adventures of boy genius Jack, his overbearing mother, his rather put upon father and carjacker/kidnapper Ross. It’s an exciting story - full of twists and turns with some interesting character development.

I have a couple of reservations: I am a little uncomfortable about the unrelentingly negative portrayal of the the mother; While my 11 year old son started the book and professes to be enjoying it, I do not appear to be able to persuade him to finish it.

MaxiNutrition Promax Lean Definition Protein Shake Powder 765 g - Strawberry
MaxiNutrition Promax Lean Definition Protein Shake Powder 765 g - Strawberry

3.0 out of 5 stars Does the job:, 6 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I perfectly good protein powder:

I generally mix with skimmed milk using a hand blender. It mixes well producing a lump free liquid.

The taste is ok. I wouldn’t describe the taste as great but it is perfectly acceptable. The dry powder has a slightly synthetic aroma although this is considerably less pronounced once mixed.

Difficult to accurately comment on the efficacy of the product but I find it beneficial for post exercise recovery.

Frontier: Exploring the Top Ten Emerging Markets of Tomorrow (Bloomberg Financial)
by Gavin Serkin

4.0 out of 5 stars Well Written & Interesting, 3 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The book is well written and well structured; Gavin Serkin has an accessible, easy to read style. In this book he explores ten of the major Frontier markets:
- Kenya
- Egypt
- Saudi Arabia
- Sri Lanka
- Ghana

For each market he provides investment insight along with other observations and information. Interesting book even for people not directly interested in investing in these markets; useful for those who are.

Ben Cohen Grooming Tools Hand Nail Clipper
Ben Cohen Grooming Tools Hand Nail Clipper

3.0 out of 5 stars Perfectly adequate, 3 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These are well made clippers but nothing special. The only twists are rugby celebrity endorsement and some sort of fake wood finish.

They do the job perfectly adequately, they seem to be robust and unlikely to break however, it is difficult to justify the price premium.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20