Profile for natalia > Reviews

Content by natalia

natalia (Twickenham, United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2
The Trade
The Trade
Price: 1.99

4.0 out of 5 stars An easy going thrill, 8 July 2013
This review is from: The Trade (Kindle Edition)
Karen Taylor's 'The Trade' was gripping from the Prologue! The seedy criminal aspect behind the more upmarket metal traders and high-profile characters was ideal for a 90s setting. Removing the gadgets and wizardry of modern technology allowed for a more realistic narrative, rather than falling back on the overdone and over-simplified plotlines that attempt to emulate 007 novels. 'The Trade' can be devoured in a day as it grips from start to finish. The heroine, Francis Alexander, competes with any more modern female protagonist, with the ability to outwit the men - and indeed be dominated by them when it suits her. Her responses to the somewhat racy situations is fresh and honest, allowing her to be a relateable character and does not alienate herself from the reader - albeit male or female.

An easy read, despite the multiple foci of the omnisciente narrator; this one will thrill but not convolute. A particularly unexpected ending.

Fancy Dress Accessories | Rubber Chicken
Fancy Dress Accessories | Rubber Chicken
Offered by Bingo-Toys
Price: 7.15

4.0 out of 5 stars it's a rubber chicken, 28 Dec 2012
Really is exactly what it said it would be. Bought it for a play at school, now just enjoy it generally as an amusing toy. Kids amused by it too.

The Toffee Makers' Christmas Crisis (TheToffee Makers Book 3)
The Toffee Makers' Christmas Crisis (TheToffee Makers Book 3)
Price: 1.53

4.0 out of 5 stars Educational and enchanting, 28 Dec 2012
A sweet twist on the Christmas story yet far more contemporary in its messages. This short story subtly explores the encounter between modern technology and the traditional Santa story, with a reminder that we need magic in our lives, especially at Christmas time. What child wouldn't want to join Alex and Delphi on this new rocket-ride into the frozen depths of the North Pole to bring the spirit of Christmas back to the world?

Fly London Women's Guile Tan/Camel Open Toe P142152000 6 UK
Fly London Women's Guile Tan/Camel Open Toe P142152000 6 UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Always to be complemented, 18 Oct 2012
These shoes are a gorgeous colour and the interesting heel is fabulous and always draws attention. The supple leather ankle straps are really comfortable and the heel height and sole are fantastic. I wear them for work and I'm up and down stairs and on my feet all day long. Love them!

Onlyt hing, in case it bothers you, the leather does mark really easily on the heel, so they don't look new for very long (maybe a half hour if you're walking about). I think it looks quite funky and "worn" which I like, however I know it's not everyone's style.

You Do Not Talk About Fight Club: I Am Jack's Completely Unauthorized Essay Collection (Smart Pop)
by Mercer Schuchardt
Price: 10.05

5.0 out of 5 stars Really useful, 19 Aug 2012
I had to teach the movie this year and this was so handy, it's quite difficult for kids but is certainly stretching. Really interesting insights and analyses of the film.

Reef Women's Ginger Brown/White/Blue Flip-flop R1660BWB 6 UK
Reef Women's Ginger Brown/White/Blue Flip-flop R1660BWB 6 UK

5.0 out of 5 stars The last flipflops you'll ever buy, 19 Aug 2012
I bought a pink pair 6 years ago when I was living abroad, I wore them for 6 years as I couldn't find another identical pair. They're amazing. I know have 2 pairs in different colours; I wear them clubbing, hiking, river tracing, shopping, to the beach, round the house, out for a stroll... If I lived somewhere I could wear them year round. I would. They are already ergonomic when they are new so they have great arch support and are very soft even though they are hard wearing and you don't feel the stones through them. They have good grip so I've rarely slipped (only on loose earth when hiking)and they have never rubbed my feet. I've tried most other flip flops and they have all been tossed to the kerb in favour of these little gems. I also know of many other people who feel this way about them. We've bonded on the subject!

The Toffee Makers
The Toffee Makers
Price: 1.53

4.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing, I want the next one..., 1 July 2012
This review is from: The Toffee Makers (Kindle Edition)
To echo others, I read it one sitting. It was a fantastic story, just what children want before they go to sleep and dream their wonderful adventures. It combines what every kid yearns for: fantasy, a magical friend, candy and a moral lesson which defeats bullies.

Anymore will become spoilers, but the images are beautifully put, the ideas are original yet encourage young readers and the innocence and inquisitiveness of the protagonist Alex makes him endearing to the reader.

A real joy. But I want to know who the Toffeemakers are!

Slendertone Flex Unisex Ab Toning System
Slendertone Flex Unisex Ab Toning System
Price: 49.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Troubleshoot guide needed... failed., 4 Jun 2012
So you get the product in the mail; very excited, seen the reviews, desperate to have a go. Place the pads on as directed, strap the belt on as directed, press the on button and... beep beep beep beep beep - the flashing triangle instructs you the pads are either: old, misplaced or not conducting as required. So you take it off, readjust the pads (even though it's hard to put them more between the lines as directed than they already were as there is very little margin for error in between these white lines). Strap the belt on again. The repetitive beeping ensues. Baffled I scour the internet for helpful 'how tos' which all suggest readjusting the pads or replacing them as they might be old. But they aren't. And you have. And it doesn't work.

Finally a break, the right pad twitches. A little. For a while. Then stops. You haven't changed anything, or moved, it just arbitrarily decided it would stop. So it did.

The waves of frustration have put the belt back in its box and written a descriptive email to Slendertone asking for advice on this seemingly impossible device. There are no helpful suggestions in the manual or online; rest assured that the gym will still be visited. Is there a 30day moneyback guarantee? Not that I have found.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 11, 2014 2:21 PM GMT

Pied A Terre Women's Hectorite Tan Brogue A11L/Le83/Cat0023 6 UK
Pied A Terre Women's Hectorite Tan Brogue A11L/Le83/Cat0023 6 UK

5.0 out of 5 stars fancy shmancy, 26 Feb 2012
These are gorgeous and feel lovely. They are an interesting shade of brown and look beautiful in the light. Nice finish to them and soft leather. They slip on nicely.

I have very pronounced ankle bones so I need to put half insoles in them the raise my heel a little, however this is true of every pair of shoes pretty much so they are not an exceptional case. Fit me perfectly as the size they state. A nice shoe.

Hush Puppies Women's Fieldfare Dark Brown Waxy Leather Cowboy Boots H2530902Q 6 UK

4.0 out of 5 stars stylish but disgruntled on comfort, 22 Jan 2012
I've had Hush Puppies before and thus I thought these were superb for the price. They're an excellent height, go well with dresses as well as jeans, bare legs or tights, so extraordinarily versatile.

A word on fit - lengthwise they're exactly the size they say, however I found them very tight on the top of the foot. I have a relatively bony foot and slim, yet as they are heeled, then they become a little restrictive so no thick socks. Additionally they are quite hard on the ball of the foot. Saying this, however, I've worn them all round London on the first night and they haven't rubbed at all and I haven't felt unsafe or unsure on the heels. Just find some padding for the ball of your foot, there is space in the toe for you to put a half-shoe cushion. The ankle is ample, I don't unzip them.

Generally positive. I like.

Page: 1 | 2