Profile for Beansmummy > Reviews

Content by Beansmummy
Top Reviewer Ranking: 295

Beansmummy (Oxfordshire, UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Karcher WV2 Premium 2nd Generation Window Vacuum Cleaner
Karcher WV2 Premium 2nd Generation Window Vacuum Cleaner

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb cleaning; better than earlier models, 24 Jan. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Absolutely love this. I have an older model as well, and this is superior, although not worth buying to replace an older version if you have one, as the differences are not enormous. Very efficient, a full charge lasts longer, and both do an excellent job. Now that I have two, I can do all my windows without a pause to recharge. Haven't had time yet to evaluate it fully, so I'll update this review when I can add something more useful...

Guilty Gadgets - 10M Metre Male to Male RF TV Aerial Lead Cable Coaxial Extension Female Digital with Coupler
Offered by Guilty Gadgets

5.0 out of 5 stars Satisfactory quality, very good length, 4 Jan. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Good quality 10m cable. Not too thick or unwieldy, and did the job very well with no deterioration in signal, replacing our previous system of two shorted coax cables joined together to achieve the length required. Components seem to be of reasonable quality, and at an excellent price.

LG P0427G30N11 GU10 4 Watt LED, 230 Lumens, 15 Year life time, Energy-Saving Bulbs, Warm White, 5 Year Warranty, Ideal for the home, 3 Bulbs per Pack
Offered by Eco Power Shop

4.0 out of 5 stars Functional; not beautiful., 2 Jan. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Very useful and easy-to-replace bulb. Apparently will be good value in the end, especially since we have found GU10s generally very short-lived, and uneconomical in the past, and we're planning to replace all our GU10 fittings until we found there are now LED options.
The quality of the light is pleasing. However it is rather a narrow spot beam, which we did not like (prefer a more diffuse light even from our spots). The worst bit for us was the cheap and slightly nasty looking grey plastic surround to the bulb which was visible in all our fittings. Overall, a very good price, and a functional, if not beautiful product.

Philips Disney Frozen Children's Projector Torch and Night Light (1 x 0.3 W Integrated LED)

3.0 out of 5 stars Expensive, but OKish, 29 Dec. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My seven year old daughter tried this out. She likes it, but it really isn't worth the steep price tag. It is very small (about 11.5cm long), and feels quite flimsy. It comes with three discs of images to project onto a suitable surface (like bedroom walls from the bed), and these are pleasing for a Frozen fan. It is difficult to focus the images properly and requires some fiddling to achieve this.
It represents yet another piece of Disney merchandise that looks nice, but does very little, for a high price. OK, but nothing special.

Zyliss Acid Etched Rotary Fine and Coarse Drum Grater
Zyliss Acid Etched Rotary Fine and Coarse Drum Grater

5.0 out of 5 stars Grate!, 24 Dec. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Absolutely love this. Initially thought it was a rather over-engineered gadget, but it has completely replaced our conventional cheese grater with all it's finger-grating hazards. Looks grate (see what I did there?!), in its glitzy packaging.
It is very simple to use and operates smoothly, without wasting cheese like other designs. It is easy to take apart to change the grater (comes with 2 for finer or thicker grated cheese). It dishwashes easily and does not hold dirty dishwasher water anywhere in its anatomy.
Negatives? Well I suppose it would be a nuisance to handwash, (no, mother-in-law tells me it is fine to handwash) and the cheese is curly rather than the straight bits you get with a normal grater. Struggling to find much wrong with it though.

Excellent item and would make a thoughtful gift.

Galt Sparkle Jewellery Box
Galt Sparkle Jewellery Box

2.0 out of 5 stars Shoddy product, 21 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Galt Sparkle Jewellery Box (Toy)
Very disappointed. My seven year old received this as a birthday gift. It is lovely, and very much appealed to her as a sparkly princessy treasure box, and she found it easy to stick all the gems on to the box. However, the spaces provided do not match the gems, meaning that in many cases an uneven white border is visible, no matter how carefully and accurately the gem is applied. Having completed the kit in a couple of hours, she was most upset to find that overnight, a large number of gems had simply fallen off, and subsequently continued to do so. The glue is ridiculously inadequate and not fit for purpose.

The box could look very pretty, but is marred by substandard materials. Disappointed in Galt, whose products are usually of a better standard. I am now going to remove all approx 450 gems, to reapply them with a better glue, so my daughter has a useable jewellery box.

Disney Princess Sparkle Princess Belle Doll
Disney Princess Sparkle Princess Belle Doll
Offered by Swag Toy

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice simple doll, 15 Dec. 2014
Nice Barbie-sized doll, bought for my daughter's 7th birthday to accompany her (in costume) to the Beauty and the Beast pantomime last weekend. In common with other dolls in this range she can be partially undressed; shoes, skirt and tiara are removeable. The dress bodice is part of the doll; IE coloured plastic. She is partially poseable; arms and legs move at shoulders and hips, but knees and elbows do not bend, and the shoulders do not move fully because of the cap sleeves (plastic) of her gown. Her shoes fall off easily.

Overall a very simple doll, without a lot of frills or detail, appealing for little girls, and reasonably priced.

The A to Z of You and Me
The A to Z of You and Me
by James Hannah

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely story, 15 Dec. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Rather lovely story of a young man dying in a hospice; eventually you find out why he is there, and the background story. His nurse has a very special way of relating to her patients, and manages to get him thinking about himself, his life and body, as he works through the alphabet. He spends much of his time thinking about his ex-girlfriend, and most of the story is told in this way; through his apparently-random recollections. The author thus gradually fills in the jigsaw of his past, and the reader begind to make sense of it all.

Cleverly written, engaging and enjoyable. Made me cry at the end!

Vax Air Base U91-MA-Be Upright Vacuum
Vax Air Base U91-MA-Be Upright Vacuum

3.0 out of 5 stars Efficient, but uncomfortable to use., 24 Nov. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
After a month of trialling this vacuum cleaner we have been quite pleased with it. It is certainly lighter than our roller-ball Dyson, and it makes a useful second vacuum in a biggish house. It is very efficient at sucking up huge volumes of dust/ fluff; we first tried it on a carpet which we had just cleaned with the Dyson and it collected an almost full cylinder more. This prompted me to wash the Dysons filters (we hadn't noticed the drop in performance) - and after this the Dyson only marginally outperformed the Vax. it is smaller than other cleaners, and I suppose therefore slightly easier to store.

In terms of negatives, the worst for me was the handle. It is spectacularly uncomfortable to use and (I realise how pathetic this sounds) it hurts my hand! The wand doubles as the handle and this tends to repeatedly extend while using the cleaner in upright mode, which is a nuisance. I am used to the superb handling of the Dyson round corners etc with the roller-ball. This is a more conventional style and slightly more awkward, though compares well with other non-roller-ball models we have had. The suction when pulling the vacuum cleaner backwards is considerable, and makes it quite hard to use; you rather strain your arm/ shoulder when using it on carpet in this way although it is very little effort to push forwards (I know I am coming across as a weakling here; I'm really not!). Finally, the position of the hose, and the way it is attached to the unit, makes it rather awkward to use the hose and tools; they stretch a very short distance from the machine, and it is not possible to safely clean stairs, or anything above about waist height; this is a really significant limitation.

So for us, it is a useful second vacuum, but I would not buy it as my only one; it is too uncomfortable to use, and too awkward to use the hose effectively.

Fisher-Price Smart Stages Chair (Yellow)
Fisher-Price Smart Stages Chair (Yellow)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great even below the recommended age range, 21 Nov. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My 8 month old daughter is well under the recommended age range for this chair but nonethleless adores it. She cannot yet even crawl, but sits on the floor next to it playing with the seat lid and putting her other toys in and out. She enjoys the book on one armrest and the buttons on the other. She cannot yet get herself into the seat, but likes to be placed in it as she can better reach the book, and then slowly slides forwards until she drops onto the floor with a bump (which she finds very entertaining). I think when she is crawling and walking this will be even better as she will be able to take full advantage of all it has to offer.

Older visiting toddlers beeline for this, and as with other FP toys, it has different play levels for different ages, and seems to sustain their interest for extended periods. It is pleasingly sturdy and promises to be a long-lived toy. As such it provides superb value for money. We are delighted with it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20