Profile for Christopher Keddie > Reviews

Foul Deeds and Suspicious Deaths in Barking, Dagenham & Chadwell Heath
Foul Deeds and Suspicious Deaths in Barking, Dagenham & Chadwell Heath
Price: 0.61

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for locals., 21 Feb 2014
I was born and raised in Dagenham so I was extremely interested in reading theses story's. Being a local there are a few story's that I'm already familiar with as they are taught to every primary school child in the local area, but there were also a few that I hadn't heard before which I found quite interesting. I think with books of this nature it is always better if the reader can identify the places that they are reading about, which is why I believe it would appeal mostly to local residents such as myself. I think that it's great when books like this come out because every time I hear some one talk about our sleepy little town I tell them to dig deeper and they'll find a history to our town that is sometimes scary but often fascinating.

Snake Oil: Life's Calculations, Misdirections and Manipulations
Snake Oil: Life's Calculations, Misdirections and Manipulations
Price: 3.45

5.0 out of 5 stars Sometimes funny, always informative read!, 21 Feb 2014
I've been interested in magic all my life and so there is a lot in this book to fascinate me regarding tricks and stunts such as fire eating and sword swallowing. But what really interests me are the story's about popular con's and swindles that have been pulled, some quite humorous (I particularly like the one about the man who was paid to dress up as a gorilla at a zoo!) There are also some fun and harmless bar room swindles that you can play on your friends. I would recommend this book to anyone who is interested in magic, but also to anyone who has an interest in the paranormal because through some of these tricks they'll come to understand that not everything is as it seems.

The Boy Who Cried Love
The Boy Who Cried Love
Price: 0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't get this song out of my head!, 21 Feb 2014
I first encountered Edwin McCain when I found a brilliant song called "I'll Be" misidentified as being by the Goo Goo Dolls. I looked at other Edwin McCain songs and this one has just grabbed me and got stuck in my head, so I was so glad to get a copy of it. It has a nice up tempo beat and I can actually relate to the lyrics (it's about someone who has too often mistaken infatuation with love, so he can no longer be believed when he actually means it!) I can kind of understand the confusion with the Goo Goo Dolls because "Iris" is very similar in style to Edwin McCain's songs but if you're familiar with a wider range of songs by both the Goo Goo Dolls and Edwin McCain you'll realize that their sounds are distinctly different.

Lord of the Rings: The Battle for Middle Earth II (Xbox 360)
Lord of the Rings: The Battle for Middle Earth II (Xbox 360)
Offered by JosephGaming
Price: 33.00

4.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable game, but sadly lacking in the PC extras, 21 Feb 2014
I'm generally a fan of all things related to Lord of the Rings so I would naturally love this game. I find the strategic element of the game frustrating, but in a good way as it provided an adequate challenge for me. Having said that, my completion time for the game was about two weeks without spending hour after hour on it. There are a couple of things about the game that I found annoying; firstly the inability to use acquired skills on earlier levels, which admittedly would have made those levels easier but since I had already completed them where is the harm in being rewarded. Secondly, DLC content seemed to offer a few extra multiplayer levels but was lacking in the "Rise of the Witch King" add-on and the Create-A-Hero option, making me wonder if I should of gone for the PC version. Nevertheless, I enjoyed L.O.T.R:T.B.F.M.E. 2 a great deal and provides a suitable distraction from time to time. This game would definitely appeal to fans of both L.O.T.R. and fans of the Command & Conquer franchise.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 10, 2014 1:24 AM BST

Naked Weapon (2002) [DVD]
Naked Weapon (2002) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Maggie Q
Offered by HalfpriceDVDS_FBA
Price: 16.98

4.0 out of 5 stars Kind of a precursor to 'Nikita'., 19 Mar 2013
This review is from: Naked Weapon (2002) [DVD] (DVD)
First of all, it stars Maggi Q. The plot will seem very familiar to fans of Nikita, which also stars Maggie Q. The martial art sequences are typical of Asian cinema, bone crunching and slightly over the top, even though this film was done completely in English, so clearly aimed at an American audience. Also, it stars Maggie Q. Generally a good film full of sexiness and martial arts violence, and did I mention that it stars Maggie Q.

Reclaiming The Blade [DVD]
Reclaiming The Blade [DVD]
Dvd ~ Viggo Mortensen

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting DVD with some equally interesting extras, 19 Mar 2013
This review is from: Reclaiming The Blade [DVD] (DVD)
I brought this DVD du to my interest in martial arts and stage combat. This DVD shows the evolution of the sword from its origins as a weapon of war to its use in cinema, and the new wave of martial artists seeking to re-establish the sword as form of western martial arts. It includes interviews with legends of the world of dramatic combat, as well as those with a passion for the sword. But there'll jewel in this crown is the extras that include some how-to tutorials with the sword and a short documentary about the growing trend in America of people studying as Jedi.

The First Templar (Xbox 360)
The First Templar (Xbox 360)
Offered by 666 Media
Price: 6.95

5.0 out of 5 stars A fun little hack and slash., 19 Mar 2013
This is a fun game for players who no longer want to sacrifice hours of their lives levelling up, collecting items, and completing an endless stream of side quests. Although this game features these elements, the programmers have managed to strike a balance between creating a challenging game that isn't going to require you to give up your social life. The game takes form of a hack and slash with a few puzzles to solve along the way. XP is gained from beating enemies and completing set tasks, which can then be exchanged for new skills on a skill-grid. The story line is interesting yet simplistic. For hardcore gamers, you may get bored very quickly. For the casual gamer, it's unlikely that you'll play this game once completed. Nevertheless, this game is worth a look and a breath of fresh air in a generation of increasingly complex and long winded gaming.

Bruce Lee's Fighting Method: The Complete Edition
Bruce Lee's Fighting Method: The Complete Edition
Price: 10.36

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read for training martial artists., 19 Mar 2013
Firstly, such books are not a good substitute for official training with a recognised association. The authors are aware of this and like most manuals they are written for people with some understanding of martial training. With this in mind, this book is very informative with some useful little gems of knowledge to add to your repertoire of martial skills.

Templars: History and Myth: From Solomon's Temple to the Freemasons
Templars: History and Myth: From Solomon's Temple to the Freemasons
Price: 5.14

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating reading, proving that the truth is more interesting than fiction., 19 Mar 2013
This book is wonderfully full of information for those wanting to learn more about the Knights Templar. Moving away from "alternative history" inspired by conspiracy theorists and novelists, this book points the way to the evidence that throws the Templars into a whole new light. The book does not force any particular religious or political view point, but remains objective in how it deals with the information, and only descends into subjectivity when debunking the swelling mass of conspiracy theories, highlighting the author's dislike of bad history. My one criticism of the book is that the proofreaders have failed to notice some basic grammatical mistakes and spelling errors, but other than that I found that I couldn't stop reading this fascinating book.