Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Canon Canoscan 9000F MK II All-in-One Scanner
Canon Canoscan 9000F MK II All-in-One Scanner
Price: 167.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent quality and value for money, 24 Feb 2014
I needed a scanner for archiving slides. This fits the bill, scanning 4 at a time clearly. I haven't used it for anything else. My gripe is that there is no facility within the software to name the files with consecutive numbers. You have to open the folder in which the files are saved and change each file name. Also to save into a different folder requires an irritating number of menus. Other than that I am very pleased and would definitely recommend this. I used to have an Epson 2480 which was great but the replacement bulb for scanning is no longer available. I chose Canon because I have Canon printer and am impressed with its quality.
Update. I've been using this as a general scanner now and am still impressed with it's flexibility. It has also made an excellent job of scanning several old photo albums without removing the photos from the album. An added bonus is that it offers the ability to stitch together an A3 item by scanning each side and then putting the two scans together.

The Quick and the Dead: Fallen Soldiers and Their Families in the Great War
The Quick and the Dead: Fallen Soldiers and Their Families in the Great War
Price: 0.51

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and compelling read, 23 Jan 2014
I have read many books on World War I most of which have dealt with the action and politics of war itself. This book looks at the families; the parents, wives and children, left behind. Many of the stories are heart rending such as how a little girl said goodbye to to her father at the top of a hill and he stood there and watched her walk back towards home and then waved her along out of sight. She never saw him again. Then there are tales of con artists exploiting grief and of child labour, related by the children themselves. So many real stories, some heart rending, some uplifting all make for a different view of the war to that normally written about. The research is spot on. Although there is an occasional feeling that some chapters become a little disjointed as the author wants to include every last bit of research and not leave anything out. This is an unworthy criticism as the book is truly worth reading and I recommend it.

BRITA Elemaris Meter Cool Black Water Filter Jug
BRITA Elemaris Meter Cool Black Water Filter Jug
Price: 16.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Good shape and size, 13 Sep 2013
I used to have an old round jug filter which took up too much room. The shape of this is designed for the fridge but I leave it out on the work surface tucked into a corner as I don't want the water to be cold. I bought it to fill a coffee maker as we have hard water and also use it for the kettle. It is a good compact shape and looks clean and tidy.
When it comes to drinking water I don't use it as I prefer hard water. I just bought this to save on descaling everything every few months. It has an electronic monitor which tells you when the filter cartridge is running out which is useful as I would forget to change it otherwise! Our local shop recycles the cartridges which is a plus.

The Bones of Avalon (THE JOHN DEE PAPERS)
The Bones of Avalon (THE JOHN DEE PAPERS)
Price: 1.85

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting idea, 23 Aug 2013
I enjoyed the idea of the book but felt that something wasn't quite right. If it was a love story or a mystery or whatever it didn't really develop the ideas to any great depth. Being a pedant, the use of certain words from the wrong century eg "shyster" grates.

The Etymologicon: A Circular Stroll through the Hidden Connections of the English Language
Price: 4.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Just my kind of book, 28 Jan 2013
Informative but not heavy, just the right amount of humour. Good to read in one lump or pick up occasionally. I want more...

Deadly Stillwater (McRyan Mystery Series Book 3)
Deadly Stillwater (McRyan Mystery Series Book 3)
Price: 1.91

3.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 28 Dec 2012
I enjoyed the plot and the method of delivery. The story being told of both the goodies' and the baddies' actions at the same time. Would recommend.

What Alice Forgot
What Alice Forgot
Price: 2.49

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyed this, 28 Dec 2012
This review is from: What Alice Forgot (Kindle Edition)
A good plot which is well woven. The characters were well rounded and the story subtle and not too predictable.

To Seduce an Earl (The Seduction Series)
To Seduce an Earl (The Seduction Series)
Price: 3.49

2.0 out of 5 stars I'll read anything!!, 28 Dec 2012
As I titled this I will read anything and don't like to leave a book half way through. The book is written in American English although based in England which irritated me. English speech does not use words like "railroad station" and it's the "sea" not the "ocean". Then there were irritating sentences such as "John hasn't a pence to his name." The excessive use of the word "ton" to describe the "in-crowd" confused me. This word was used in Regency England but other details implied Victorian England. Near to the end of the book the Crimean War was mentioned and things became clearer. Other linguistic and historical misdemeanours irritated me too, I read a lot of history text books and expect historical novelists to do their homework too. London must be very small in the novel as the main characters keep bumping into each other!
This said, this book was quite smutty which I found fun and I did read it to the end to find out what daft ending the author could engineer!

Lose One Pound a Day Plan: Kickstart Your Own Simple & Effective Plan to Lose Weight Fast
Price: 1.96

1.0 out of 5 stars JUst plain common sense, 28 Dec 2012
Everything is common sense in this book. I got it on a free offer and just skim read it as it said nothing new or clever. Don't bother with it. Use your own brain,

Microsoft Wireless Comfort Desktop 5000 (Retail Packaging)
Microsoft Wireless Comfort Desktop 5000 (Retail Packaging)
Price: 42.96

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value and comfortable, 28 Dec 2012
Having read the reviews I was worried about the shift key being small. Yes it is but I have only found it a problem a couple of times and pressed the neighbouring key instead. I really like the action of the keys. I had a 1.0 desk set from ages ago and this is so much beter. The "end" key is in a different place but each keyboard I have used has its differences. I have set up the programmable keys but find I don't use them much. It was all very intuitative though and easily accomplished.
I would definitely reccomend this key board and mouse.

Page: 1 | 2