Profile for Saffers > Reviews

Content by Saffers

Saffers (nr Cambridge, UK)

The Battle: A New History of the Battle of Waterloo
The Battle: A New History of the Battle of Waterloo
by Alessandro Barbero
Price: 10.39

5.0 out of 5 stars Accessible Waterloo, 20 Mar 2013
This is probably one of the few books (well, that I have read so far) which looks at the Battle of Waterloo - set in one of the most important periods in British and European history - from a more impartial perspective. Also the author writes about the different armies involved, not just Wellington & Napoleon and that Blucher chappie. It is written in a very accessible style, a real page turner. Recommended reading before you visit the Battlefield! I was fortunate to visit the site of the battle in April 2008 and this book brings it all alive. Trundling down one of the sunken lanes I could imagine the men taking cover from the canonballs flying over their heads...

P.S. You don't need to be a man to enjoy this book

Vestalife Ladybug II Colourful Speaker Dock for iPod and iPhone - Silver
Vestalife Ladybug II Colourful Speaker Dock for iPod and iPhone - Silver

5.0 out of 5 stars Great speakers, 20 Mar 2013
I love these speakers. My son bought them first as a dock for his iplayer. I don't have an iplayer but will get one eventually. At the moment its plugged in to my PC so I can listen to music or watch dvds. Great sound quality and I just love the design.

King 3" Deep Memory Foam Mattress Topper With A Washable Removable Cover
King 3" Deep Memory Foam Mattress Topper With A Washable Removable Cover
Offered by Foam 2 Go
Price: 76.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for a while, 20 Mar 2013
I bought this in Jan 2012 but I now need to replace it as after over a year's use it has literally moulded to my body so I can now feel the mattress below again. Memory foam mattresses are very comfortable & do work but you should only consider them for occasional use (ie for spare bed) or until you can replace your main mattress as they won't last forever. This doesn't matter as long as the main mattress isn't too old or uncomfortable.
However, all positives on the order itself. It was easy to unpack and I was able to use straightaway - the slight "chemical" smell faded after a couple of days. Very quick delivery as well.

LG DP-271
LG DP-271

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely good buy, 8 Jan 2008
This review is from: LG DP-271 (Electronics)
This LG portable dvd player is worth the money. For people on a slightly smaller budget, it offers great sound, great picture and lots of fun! The screen, although 7", is bigger than expected and has very good picture quality. The sound is great and the player also has 2 headphone jacks. It also offers divx compatibility. My only complaint is that there isn't a volume button on the remote, only on the player. But apart from that, it's a good buy. In short - Life's good

The Eagle In The Sand
The Eagle In The Sand
by Simon Scarrow

5.0 out of 5 stars Simon Scarrow writes roman epic, 15 Oct 2007
This review is from: The Eagle In The Sand (Paperback)
Think Rome, the tv series, in a book with less politics, less Caesar and more brutal battles. Scarrows 7th is as good as all the others. It tails off slightly in the middle but makes up for it at the end. Macro and Cato, centurions, are the book worlds Pullo and Vorenus. Well structured, beautifully written it's a story that even those who know next to nothing about the roman empire can read time and time again

The Man Who Broke Napoleon's Codes: The Story of George Scovell
The Man Who Broke Napoleon's Codes: The Story of George Scovell
by Mark Urban

5.0 out of 5 stars A great introduction to the world of Wellington and the Penisular War..., 26 April 2007
I just happened across this book in my local library and was intrigued by the title. Before reading this my knowledge of Wellington was just the Battle of Waterloo. Sadly this era is not covered in History at schools and certainly not during my time at secondary school in the 70s.

"The Man who broke Napoleon's Codes" is such an accessible book, written more in the style of a story and obviously very well researched. Urban's book inspired me to go on and read further about Wellington, and I have also read his book about the 95th Rifles, which I also recommend. I have since found several books in second hand bookshops, including an excellent book about Wellington's Regiments. As an enthusiastic female reader, I recommend this as a good introduction to the Peninsular Wars...

The Shelters of Stone (Earth's Children)
The Shelters of Stone (Earth's Children)
by Jean M. Auel

2.0 out of 5 stars Did Jean Auel write this??, 30 Aug 2002
I'm glad (or rather, sad) to see that I'm not the only one disappointed in Jean Auel's long-long-awaited 5th book. I can't remember the number of times I have re-read the previous four books!
What a disappointment The Shelter of the Stones was...she just seems to have lost the plot! What made the previous books so fascinating was her theories of the Neanderthals and especially how they interacted with Cro-Magnon man. Or the fascinating details like when they invent a spear thrower, etc, hunting tactics, etc. Even the horses and Wolf are side-lined; they are as vital a part in this story as Ayla and Jondalar themselves.
All we have in the 5th book are two men who have Neanderthal blood in them, but these characters were not developed to their full potential. I think there was a bit of an over-load with the descriptions this time...I just pray she get's herself back on track for the 6th novel...if there is a 6th.
I would certainly recommend the first four books but, to be honest, if you haven't read any of her books before you won't be missing much if you by-pass her fifth and wait for the 6th.