Profile for Rimsby > Reviews

Content by Rimsby

Rimsby (Liverpool)

Page: 1 | 2
Grip-It Analog Stick (PS4/PS3/Xbox One/Xbox360)
Grip-It Analog Stick (PS4/PS3/Xbox One/Xbox360)
Offered by LT Lighting

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely to be considered for DS4, 20 April 2014
The thumbsticks on DS4 for the Playstation 4 are notorious for peeling and for their coating to come off. I picked a pair of these up and have not looked back. They're a great fit and don't affect control of your game. Highly recommended. Five smackeroonies *****

inFAMOUS: Second Son (PS4)
inFAMOUS: Second Son (PS4)
Offered by THE MARKETPLACE

4.0 out of 5 stars A True Next Gen Experience, 20 April 2014
I picked this up at launch, platinumed it and traded it in. However, while I only had it a short time it was an excellent game and a true next-gen experience. Seattle looks and feels great and the attention to detail is truly stunning. In fact, Sucker Punch are so confident in the level of detail they have included that they have recently updated the game with "Photo Mode" in a recent patch. This basically enables the gamer to stop the game at any moment and manipulate the image to create great looking in-game shots. Also, the motion capture in the cut scenes is truly astounding and probably the best I have ever seen in a computer game. It leads to a much more immersive game.

I found Seattle at times to be a little bare and you would consistently see the same NPCs and there wasn't as much interaction as I would've hoped for. However, I understand it's designed more as a superpower game than an open-world game in the sense of Grand Theft Auto etc.

It's great fun and I found myself really immersed in the game. If you are new to the console and are looking for a game to pick up, this would be very high on my list as it's a Playstation 4 exclusive and as such has been built from the ground up and optimized for this console.

Highly recommend. Really shows the power and promise of the console. Five smackeroonies *****

Sony PlayStation DualShock 4 Charging Station (PS4)
Sony PlayStation DualShock 4 Charging Station (PS4)
Offered by Gameseek

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product. Really sturdy and weighty which surprised me!, 20 April 2014
I had this on order for quite a while and it was awaiting stock. In the interim, I was half-tempted to buy a third party charging station as the DS4's battery drains much quicker than the DS3 so you are constantly recharging your controllers.

However, I held tight and I was glad I did. Sony are not playing around this generation. The console was presented excellently when I first received that and this was no different. The item was packaged in a really compact way and it was pleasure unwrapping everything.

Now, the item sits atop my table and I just leave it plugged in. When the controller has finished charging the station goes into a standby mode of sorts. I was really happy with the quality of the product and it is a really sturdy, weighty, well-made device.

Thoroughly recommend this product to anyone and would advise to get this item in lieu of any third party alternative. Five smackeroonies *****

Sony PlayStation 4 Mega Pack (PS4)
Sony PlayStation 4 Mega Pack (PS4)

5.0 out of 5 stars I told an Amazon Chat Agent that if they pulled this order off, I would trust them for everything in the future, 1 Dec 2013
...and they did with great aplomb!

I had ordered this in July, shortly after pricing and release date information had been confirmed by Sony. My Playstation 3 had recently suffered the Yellow Light of Death after 5 years of service and so, without a console for 4 months, the wait was agonizing. As the final days approached, I was worried about my card going through, the courier delivering the item and if it would work when I received it, given the multitude of poor reviews to be found on the web.

The card was authorised fine and at that point I began to relax. I was assured it would leave on the 28th in time for release date. I received all necessary tracking information via e-mail on the 28th November and could not sleep at all that night through panic. The courier went out for delivery and I was provided with an estimated timeframe (8:30am - 9:30am) and a map as to where the courier was and what # delivery I was on his schedule etc. Sure enough, the courier turned up when expected and I even rewarded him with a tub of Quality Street for his good efforts.

The bundle itself was beautifully packed and a real professional job overall. I took each item out one-by-one, inspected it and savoured all that next-gen goodness. I hooked everything up to my television as instructed and went to make a cup of tea prior to booting it up.

Then, the magic happened. I did not want to play FIFA as the first game on the console as it's a game that's similar every year. I wanted a mind-blowing game that would really display the power of next-gen and so I played Killzone. The controller handles great, with it's sleek and ergonomic design and new intuitive features, namely the lightbar and in-built speaker. The lightbar can change colour depending on the in-game situation depending on the game developer. The speaker was great and really helped overall with how engaging the experience was. The graphics and visual fidelity of the game just goes without saying. Truly mind-blowing visuals that puts it far and away ahead of the last generation.

Next came FIFA. Even though earlier I said it is similar every year, the jump to next gen was easily apparent within the first few moments. The big difference is the one area I often thought EA really needed to pull their socks up; the atmosphere, crowd and stadia. The crowd look great in 3D and finally, for the first time in a long time, you can actually tell what ground you are playing in. It used to be that the cut-scene would show the players running out on the San Siro or Bernabeu, but in game the pitch always looks generally generic. An EA rep in an interview stated they have lowered the camera so the stadia can be seen in-game and it's true; now you know whether you're in the Camp Nou or White Hart Lane. Furthermore, they've made great little touches and added hundreds of new animations. The players look great and individual and the game runs oh so smoothly.

Shortly after, the postman delivered my other Amazon PS4 delivery. I ordered Knack in lieu of Watch_Dogs after the delay and because it was built from the ground up for the Playstation 4, much like Killzone. The graphics are not meant to be photo-realistic but rather, as one reviewer has described it, like a Pixar movie. Mark Cerny, the lead architect of the PS4 and designer of games such as Spyro, Crash Bandicoot, Ratchet & Clank and Jak & Daxter, had spearheaded Knack as a project to harken back to the glory days of PS1's platformer generation. I haven't played much on this game as of yet but the visuals look crisp and sharp, there's an interesting variety of enemies and the environments are diverse and fun. In writing this, I cannot wait to put this game back on and continue the adventure.

Yesterday I signed up to Playstation+ and claimed two free games, Resogun and Contrast, and paid for Flower which, according to Metacritic is the highest-rated PS4 game at the moment. Flower played great, it was mainly purchased for the significant other to get her involved in the Playstation experience but I found myself enjoying the game. Personally, I did not love Contrast but have almost completed it and you cannot complain if it's free! Whereas I think Flower does somewhat show the power of the PS4, Contrast mostly looks like a game of the last generation but the gameplay itself is quite quirky. I haven't played Resogun yet but by all accounts it looks beautiful and is really addictive.

The Playroom also got given a run-out and was quite fun. Features are limited at the moment but I have never really engaged in cameras in computer games so find it something new. The bots are cute and the air hockey can be a laugh if you have friends around!

Overall, the Playstation 4 is amazing. I am more excited by what's to come to the console next year, with games like Infamous, Destiny, Watch_Dogs, The Division, Dying Light and The Evil Within coming, than what is out at the moment but already I can see it is streets ahead of the PS3/Xbox360. The console has run great, I have had no issues at all and the service from Amazon was again truly outstanding. I cannot recommend the Playstation of Amazon enough.

Amazon, I love you. Sony, I love you.

The Delivery Man
The Delivery Man
by Joe McGinniss Jr.

3.0 out of 5 stars A Somewhat Polarizing Book for Many, 27 Jun 2013
This review is from: The Delivery Man (Paperback)
I read this on the back of a glowing appraisal uploaded from Bret Easton Ellis' Twitter account. Sure enough, Bret Easton Ellis was quoted on the blurb as well.

The book was okay. There are some memorable characters and the storyline is certainly engaging (sorry to use a cliche, burt definitely one to be filed under 'page-turner').

The book moves to an apocalyptic drumbeat, with an ever-closer sense of fear and dread growing throughout.

I even don't mind the style of writing, which on reading reviews on Amazon and other websites, seems to be the main collective gripe with the book. The flashbacks are interesting, the story is not clearly-lineated and the chronology is constantly shifting. What I did mind about this was the fact the author italicized any flashbacks.

The reason I can only give it three stars is from the first three words the book sounds like Bret Easton Ellis fan fiction. The book starts, "FIND YOURSELF HERE" which is a quite obvious doff of the hat to the mantra of Less Than Zero, "Disappear Here".

The protagonists share similar names to typical Ellis characters: Chase, Hunter, Bailey being similar to the names in Less than Zero such as Clay, Blair and Julian.

And there are even similarities in the writing. McGinniss will write something along the lines of: "And Hunter's looking at his phone while Brandi playfully laughs at him with her low-cut top and tight denim shorts and Chase can't avert his eyes and he stares at Brandi's tan legs and 50 Cent plays over the stereo system".

Overall, it's an okay effort for a first novel but McGinniss needs to find his own voice. If I wanted to read an Ellis novel I'd buy the real thing. I would recommens reading it as the story is certainly engaging.

Water from the Sun and Discovering Japan (Short Reads) (Picador Shots)
Water from the Sun and Discovering Japan (Short Reads) (Picador Shots)

3.0 out of 5 stars The Informers Trailer, 21 Jun 2013
I have to agree with another reviewer. I bought this thinking it may be two short stories that Ellis wrote exclusively for the Kindle. As I was reading through, the text seemed familiar in parts and I thought it could be from Ellis' short-story collection, The Informers. Needless to say, another reviewer on Amazon and Wikipedia all but confirmed this.

The stories themselves are what you come to expect from Ellis. They are short, well-disciplined vignettes that would be familiar to an Ellis fan or a good introduction for those less fortunate. It is for this reason I have given the product three stars.

However, I would implore anyone to first look at The Informers, which includes more short stories and probably works out better value-for-money.

Requiem for a Dream (Penguin Modern Classics)
Requiem for a Dream (Penguin Modern Classics)
by Hubert Selby Jr.

5.0 out of 5 stars Virtuoso Work from a Brilliant Writer, 21 Jun 2013
Having come off the back of Last Exit to Brooklyn (I ordered this in the same consignment), which was my introduction to Selby as a writer, I just could not wait to start this book. I saw the film adaptation of this novel, starring Jared Leto and Ellen Burstyn, around three years ago so I knew where the story was going to go but I was intrigued to see just how Selby Jr. brought this story to life.

The story centres on four protagonists; Sara Goldfarb, Harry Goldfarb (Sara's son), Marion (Harry's girlfriend) and Tyrone C. Love (Harry's friend). Sara is widowed and addicted to her food and television and the other three share mutual addictions to different drugs. The story charts the trajectory of the lives, focusing on around a one year period.

I'll leave that there, after all this is a review of the item and not a synopsis! The writing itself is what wowed me. It reminds me of the last part of Last Exit to Brooklyn where Selby Jr. focuses on multiple people living in the same apartment block, constantly switching voice and character. The story is written almost in the form of vignettes and Selby once again seamlessly drifts from one character to the next. The stream-of-conciousness style is also something familiar from his debut novel.

It was with great enthralment that I read the book, great sadness when the last page turned and great regret that I had not discovered Selby's work earlier. Suffice to say, I will be ordering some of his other works shortly.

Highly recommended.

Last Exit to Brooklyn (Penguin Modern Classics)
Last Exit to Brooklyn (Penguin Modern Classics)
by Hubert Selby Jr.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mind-blowing, 21 Jun 2013
This was my introduction into the world of Hubert Selby Jr. and just what a world it was! Any fans of transgressive fiction will love this book. I read it in just a couple of nights and was left powerfully affected by the whole affair.

The novel is constructed in seven different parts, all preceded by a biblical quote, which leads to almost a 'bric-a-brac' style. Some stories intertwine and characters you met early on in the novel will often reappear to play another part later on. The characters are compelling, memorable and live long with the reader after the book is finished.

Harry, the union leader, would probably be my favourite protagonist in the book. Suffice to say, his could be the darkest and most shocking story in a dark and shocking book.*

The novel is generally written in a stream-of-conciousness style and the pace is just relentless. The slick dialogue throughout the novel (written in continuous prose, Selby doesn't seem to like quotation marks very much) is mashed in, rather seamlessly, to Selby's narrative voice. At first, it takes some getting used to and I did not think I would enjoy it so much, but when I got into the swing of things the book became thoroughly engrossing and easy-to-read.

I like to keep my reviews rather short and concise, so I will not say too much else. I did order a few other books at the same time, one of which was Requiem for a Dream, and that is also a thoroughly riveting read. I would highly recommend both.

* The book was famously subject to a censorship trial in both the UK and Italy. The ban was installed in the UK in 1966 but lifted two years later. Let it be known that this book is not for the faint-hearted. The issues it deals with are shocking but, like some other great literature around, maybe the reason it is so revered is because it broke down barriers in it's day.

Glamorama
Glamorama
by Bret Easton Ellis

5.0 out of 5 stars This could be Ellis' best work., 3 Jun 2013
This review is from: Glamorama (Paperback)
Wow! When I first started reading this, I didn't expect much as Victor Ward seemed to share that same vapid voice as some of Ellis' other protagonists. (My only criticism of Ellis would be that too many of his books echo this same vapid, numb voice regardless of the plot and his works do not show as much growth as I would've hoped for).

However, this book just steams away like a runaway train and the plot becomes a wild circus. I finished reading it and loved it and then went onto the internet, to hear what other people think, at which point I was met with so many different points I had not actually considered. So then I re-read it. And appreciated it even more.

The only contenders insofar as Ellis' best book would be American Psycho and Less than Zero. Both excellent books so it would be hard to pick a favourite. The films for the former two cloud my opinion (Psycho because it's such a brilliantly funny film, Less than Zero because it's so mind-numbingly poor and dated) but I actually prefer this plot to the other two, just because it's so whacked-out.

I would highly recommend this to anyone.

The Last of the Savages
The Last of the Savages
by Jay McInerney

4.0 out of 5 stars Quite different for a McInerney book, 3 Jun 2013
Let it be said that McInerney is my favourite author. I love his efficient way with language and the growth he has shown throughout his works, being highly interested in the themes and issues he covers in his novels and his general ideology.

This book is not your typical Jay McInerney novel i.e. does not centre on protagonists based in Manhattan in the 1980s and 90s. The book charts the American landscape throughout the 70s, 80s and 90s and it's a clever book.

The only reason I've given it four stars is because, even though it is an ambitious effort by McInerney, it does not quite reach the heights of some of his works.

Insofar as Jay McInerney, my recommendations would be Bright Lights, Big City, Story of My Life, Brightness Falls and The Good Life and both of his shorty story works, How It Ended and The Last Bachelor.

Page: 1 | 2