Profile for Checkdog > Reviews

Content by Checkdog

Checkdog

Schwalbe Marathon Supreme 26X2.0 Folding Tyre with HD Speed Guard Reflex 656g (50-559) - Black
Price: 28.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Fit For My Touring Purposes!, 4 July 2013
I thought I would try out the Marathon Supremes(MS) instead of my usual Marathon Plus Tour(MPT) on a recent 2100 mile tour of Europe.I got hooked on the word Supreme believing they must be superior to the MPT.

Big Mistake! And they are not.

Whilst, in the past, I had not a single puncture doing 4000 miles with the MPT with minor tyre deterioration associated with that milage,that can not be said with the MS.

After 1000 miles ,I got a rear puncture and upon inspecting the tyre for the offending sharp object ,I noticed the threading was coming loose in several areas around the tyre- mainly the sides.

Add another 300 miles ,I got another in the rear again and now a worn out looking tear can be visibly be seen appearing and spreading on its side.

So it was a change into the spare MS tyre for the rear, and...after another 300 miles I get another puncture again.Only this time ,it is from my trailer wheel (ExtraWheel) also fitted with a MS tyre and ,once again, tyre deterioration was clearly visible.

The last 500 miles ,I picked up the last puncture in the rear .Also ,by now ,both my trailer and rear (yes ,the new one ) MS tyres had deteriorated so badly,I ended up using puncture repair patches to limit the spread as I only ever carry one spare tyre based on my previous touring experiences.

When touring, I like to maintain my tyres to highest allowed PSi ,so it was not the case of losing sufficient tyre pressure making it susceptible to punctures .In fact,all the punctures occur on the side of the tyre and not the protected part .

Is that the weakness in the tyre? In my opinion ,yes. I believe to make MS foldable and light ,MS loses its strength in its sides .This ,in my mind,allows small sharp objects to easily penetrate it. It also wears away quickly in this area as well.

It may be just a suitable commuting tyre , but be warned ,to me,it can not go the distance on different road terrains. You be better off sticking with the MPT or until they make MS far ,far superior or flying bikes.

Adventure Cycle-Touring Handbook: Worldwide Cycling Route & Planning Guide (Adventure Cycle Touring Handbook: A Worldwide Cycling)
by Stephen Lord
Price: 11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential Bike Touring Bible, 15 Aug 2012
This is a "Must" read for anyone taking up cycle
touring.It's an informative insight in what you'll really need to cycle tour most parts of the World.

I found the experience of the author ,helpful in deciding my bike & camping gear,as well as, other great tips I would not have thought of-
especially country specifics in regards to bike touring.

In all,it's concise, practical & easy to read.