Profile for LINDA EVANS > Reviews

Content by LINDA EVANS

LINDA EVANS "LINDA EVANS not the star" (Sheffield UK)

Page: 1 | 2
I Think You'll Find It's a Bit More Complicated Than That
I Think You'll Find It's a Bit More Complicated Than That
by Ben Goldacre

5.0 out of 5 stars Unputdownable, 22 July 2015
There aren't many collections of (mostly) newspaper columns which are compulsive. This is one of them. I couldn't stop reading it, and I felt all the emotions of shock and horror and disbelief Ben Goldacre wanted to get across.

You Can Buy Happiness (and It's Cheap): How One Woman Radically Simplified Her Life and How You Can Too

2.0 out of 5 stars Simply American, 22 July 2015
This book really shows up the difference between US and English cultures. At the beginning, the American author feels herself unable to resist the lure of advertisements and gets into debt, after trying to live as she thinks people-like-her should live. She undergoes conversion, and over several years gets rid of things she's bought, gives up her car, downsizes her house, and lives simply. This makes her happy, and is a lot cheaper than her previous lifestyle. Maybe my friends are a peculiar group, but this just couldn't apply to them. We don't want to live simply, but to live intensely. Love of friends and family, and being socially useful one way or another, is what turns us on. And the way we live needs various capabilities to support it. A simple life where you can't have visitors to stay in your tiny house? Where you don't read books unless your library has them? Not my style.
And, as well as this, I was simply bored by the book and the author's self-centred concerns.

Sunflowers FOR WOMEN by Elizabeth Arden - 50 ml EDT Spray
Sunflowers FOR WOMEN by Elizabeth Arden - 50 ml EDT Spray
Offered by Fragrancia

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value, 19 July 2015
I often buy this for summer. Good value, frank and obvious, so holds its own outdoors. Not subtle, but that's not what I want.

Revolting Garden
Revolting Garden
by Rose Blight

2.0 out of 5 stars Worst Greer I've read, 19 July 2015
This review is from: Revolting Garden (Paperback)
I've wanted it for years because of the Germaine Greer authorship, but I was very disappointed. Petty, snobbish, and self-aggrandising. Hardly about gardening at all, except as chance to show off with Latin names

Sire and Damn (Dog Lover's Mysteries Book 20)
Sire and Damn (Dog Lover's Mysteries Book 20)

5.0 out of 5 stars Conant's funniest, 19 July 2015
I enjoyed this because it's so funny -- the monstrous characters posturing and making Rita's marriage the wedding from hell. You almost don't notice the murder. I enjoy all this series, and have collected all of them, but I found this the lightest. By contrast, the one that has most force is the second, Dead and Doggone, dealing with vivisection.They both have 5 stars for me.

Re-cycle and Re-use Stuff in Your Garden
Re-cycle and Re-use Stuff in Your Garden

4.0 out of 5 stars Ingenious and inspiring, 7 July 2015
I really enjoyed this book, and indeed found it inspiring with all the suggestions for re-using various items you'd normally think would have to be thrown away. I am now on the lookout for a chest freezer for making compost -- I've had to stop with plastic bins, because rats get in. I shall try helium balloons to stop birds eating my soft fruit. I'll try using bicycle inner tyres to deal with thorny rose and bramble branches . . and more. All this will disqualify my garden from appearing in a garden magazine, but I will feel good about keeping stuff in use and out of landfill.

Revolutionary French Cooking
Revolutionary French Cooking

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting Techniques for Home Use, 30 Jun. 2015
I'd love to eat his food, at his restaurant, but I'm not so sure about using the book to cook from.
Because he's a chef, Daniel Galmiche has the assumptions that go with a top-flight kitchen with underlings. A dish can have many processes, some of which will produce a result which is then used for various dishes. Pastry, stock, dressings all fit here. It's possible to use the rind of 1/2 a blood orange, and assume the rest will be used elsewhere or discarded. He assumes that you can leave an oven door open to get low temperatures -- domestic ovens haven't worked like that for years. And so on. I am intrigued by, and may try, the drying process and the smoking process, but, in general, it's not food for a domestic context.

Then there are all the problems with a cookbook on Kindle. Black-and-white pictures of food are not inspiring. Page numbers, because of the nature of the device, are meaningless. You can't have an index. This doesn't just apply to this book, but to all Kindle cookbooks, but it means I'd resent paying a lot for one. The price of this is very reasonable, compared with the print version, so I'm glad to have it.

The Book of Regional American Cooking
The Book of Regional American Cooking
by Beatrice Ojakangas
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

1.0 out of 5 stars Didn't Get It, 16 Jan. 2013
I ordered this product. Some time later, I got an email saying the seller couldn't supply it . . not out of stock, just NO. I looked again for the same thing; the same company is still offering to supply. I'd love to review the book, but I can't!

Gaudi. The Complete Buildings
Gaudi. The Complete Buildings
by Rainer Zerbst

5.0 out of 5 stars High-Quality Pictures, 16 Jan. 2013
I bought this as a Christmas present for a friend , knowing she's interested in Gaudi. I only had a quick look before wrapping it, and now I feel I must buy one for myself. It's not just the well-known buildings, but Gaudi's lesser-known works come across so well.

Letters To Young Churches
Letters To Young Churches
by J B Phillips

5.0 out of 5 stars Everyone should read it, 16 Jan. 2013
This is a lively, accessible, readable translation of Paul's letters. Accurate, too, whenever I've been talking to someone who can assess this. The quality of the person writing these letters comes across so much more clearly than in the Revised version of the Bible, or others I've tried. I was simply knocked sideways by this book.

Page: 1 | 2