Profile for neilydee > Reviews

Content by neilydee

neilydee

Samsung Compact Micro USB 3 Pin UK Mains Charger Compatible with Galaxy S2, S3 and S4 - Black
Offered by POWEREXPRESS
Price: 0.89

1.0 out of 5 stars Simply doesn't work, 30 Aug 2013
Title says it all really. Will be sending back and chasing a refund. It's also a very flimsy build. As other negative reviewers have said this does not appear to be a genuine Samsung product.

Gro Anywhere Blackout Blind (2012 version)
Gro Anywhere Blackout Blind (2012 version)
Offered by BabyRug
Price: 29.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty much does the job, 20 Aug 2012
I bought this as opposed to installing custom blackout blinds as I live in rented accommodation and didn't really want to waste money on something I wouldn't end up using in future. This seemed like the perfect interim solution.

I use it to cover up (most) of my patio doors when using my projector for watching movies.

One sucker has come off - perhaps from removing it too roughly. Best advice is to slide your nail under the side of the sucker and it comes off no problem. The sucker can be refit into the blind but it's a bit tough to get back in.

I'll need to get another one to cover my whole window but this would be quite a nice, cheap (and portable) solution for smaller windows instead of looking at getting full blinds installed.

Philex 5m HDMI to HDMI Cable
Philex 5m HDMI to HDMI Cable
Offered by memorycapital
Price: 2.69

5.0 out of 5 stars Great price, great cable, 20 Aug 2012
Like with speaker cable you constantly hear that you have to spend big to get amazing quality. I simply don't believe this to be true. I use cheap speaker cable and now cheap HDMI cables. They all do the job wonderfully. Admittedly I haven't done a side by side comparison with different more expensive cables - but why would I? I can only take an educated guess that any improvement would be SO minimal you would need to be an android to spot it.

This cable is long. This cable works. This cable is cheap.

Give this a bash before you shell out and remortgage your house for what are essentially rip offs.

Epson EH-TW3200 3LCD Projector (25000:1, 1800 ANSI Lumens, Full HD 1080p)
Epson EH-TW3200 3LCD Projector (25000:1, 1800 ANSI Lumens, Full HD 1080p)
Price: 949.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Real good, 16 Aug 2012
I bought this because I suffered greatly from Rainbow Effect (RBE) on the DLP Optoma 230x. This LCD projector cannot create the RBE effect but is, of course, more expensive.

For 50 more again you can get the Epson TW5900 which is 3d capable (you'll need to buy glasses separately). If however, like me, you think 3d is somewhat of a fad and a source of headaches you may want to opt for this model.

Yes, it has slightly less lumens etc but you do gain the invaluable mechanical lens shift. Previously, my old trusty Sony VPL-ES2 had to be perfectly positioned and this kept it relegated to our bedroom on a handy speaker cab I have kicking around. Our living room doesnt really allow for this and having the proj dead centre between us in front of the couch isn't really ideal. (As I am in rented accommodation I cant rig up ceiling mounts and so forth). With the mechanical lens shift however the projector can easily be placed to the side of our seating and the screen can be manipulated to an ideal position. (Download the manual online for an in depth tech spec of the lens shift capability). It's currently mounted on the boxes it came in and a small table (precarious) but I will be buying a wheeled stand soon enough!

So - picture quality? Really lovely. 'Cinema' setting default is good out the box. You can check avforums and search for the tw3200 faq's for optimal setup (everyone is slightly different of course). Cinema setting really needs to be used in a light controlled room (not a bat-cave though). We have large patio doors that need to be covered and we cant really watch a movie properly until dusk. Properly meaning to it's full immersive potential. The 'Living Room' setting pumps up the brightness of course but this is really for gaming in the day and so forth. This setting also increases projector noise from the previous eco cinema mode -that is almost inaudible! In pretty much broad daylight I was still able to play xbox on this setting albeit it would have benefitted from a darker day/more efficient curtains to prevent some washout.

Our first test movie was The Woman In Black. It blew me away. The darkened haunted house was still highly detailed and everything was as it should be. I am by no means a videophile when it comes to comparing contrast levels and so on but I do know when something doesnt "feel right" and everything was A-ok. Last night we went for Insidious and again - the scale of the image, the detail and the faithful colours and contrast made me empty myself on numerous occasions.

The menus are pretty extensive and there are lots to play with if you want to tweak your image.

When connecting to my Sony DH820 av amp it does seem to trigger the HDMI audio back to "TV+AMP" which means I need to switch back to "AMP" to get my sound outputting correctly. No biggy - but it did freak me out initially. Might happen to you too....

It also comes with 3yr warranty on the machine and the bulb which isn't to be sniffed at. Be warned though - this projector is a beast. It was like unrwapping an old VHS player circa. 1986! In saying that, the build quality is strong.

I only give it 4 stars instead of 5 as it remains an expensive piece of kit. I definitely think it is great value but being a skinflint and having paid 550 for my sony back in the day I feel I need to drop it a star. Harsh maybe? Probably. If you can afford a little more then this, so far, is a great piece of kit.

If I have any issues that crop up I will be sure to update my review but I really feel it will continue to deliver.

See ya.

UPDATE:

Been using it pretty much every day since I got it and it still continues to deliver. No drop in brightness noticeable so far. I have upgraded to 5 stars now as it made The Dark Knight Rises look better than it did at the cinema. Astounding stuff. Worth an extra star, that.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 1, 2012 2:20 PM BST

Optoma HD230X Full HD 1080p Home Cinema Projector
Optoma HD230X Full HD 1080p Home Cinema Projector

2.0 out of 5 stars Paint the whole world with a rainbow, 14 Aug 2012
Hello. I bought this device from a different retailer and subsequently returned it but thought it might be helpful to some to post a review here.

RBE (rainbow effect), it is written, will only affect a minority of people. However, I and the two others with me could see them. And WOW could we see them. My eyes were fried and I got a headache. I optimised the settings to try and remove the effect but to no avail. I had to return it. I have since invested in the Epson TW3200 from Amazon which uses LCD tech which does not suffer from RBE but is more expensive. It is a wonderful machine so far and I will post a review there when I have more experience with it. I would recommend this new machine already however. For 50 more again you can get the tw5900 which is 3D capable & LCD but you will need to get glasses seperately. 3d is not desirable for me so the 3200 was the best option. The mechanical lens shift of the 3200 also allows for much better placement in the living room. As I am in rented accommodation I cannot mount a permanent solution - so this is ideal.

I was aware of the possiblity of RBE with DLP technology in projectors but as I could not get a demo in any shops I had to take a gamble. DO NOT buy in store if you are worried about the possibility of RBE as they may not take it back. However if you purchase online you can return it under Distance Selling Regulations within 7 days if you change your mind even if opened but unused. The projector lamp use counter will not go up until it hits 10 hours.

So - 2 stars. Some would argue that it is our eyes and our BRAINS that are broken and not the projector so this may be classed as a harsh rating. I simply cant comment porperly on the quality of the machine as we simply could not tolerate to view it! So 2 is more of an accurate reflection of our experience with this machine. In fact - it should be a 1 really.

Hope this helps in some way. Bye.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 12, 2012 11:47 AM GMT

ProCare Dorsiwedge Night Splint Large
ProCare Dorsiwedge Night Splint Large
Offered by PhysioRoom
Price: 32.38

3.0 out of 5 stars Achilles Tendonitis, 24 Jan 2011
Having thought I had plantar fasciitis (my doctor agreed) I bought the night splint to see if I could get any kind of relief. Unfortunately for me it didnt provide any. I believe this to be, pending a visit to an actual podiatrist (appointment is taking forever), I have achilles tendonitis. Maybe I have both I dont know...a 2nd doctor seemed to think it may be the achilles tendon as opposed to plantar.

I bought a McDavid Achilles tendon strap and it arrived today. I have it on at work and it seems to be helping a fair bit.

This isn't a negative review of the night splint as I am sure it may help those of you with plantar fasciitis. If like me you are seeking relief desperately and not getting a great deal of support from your GPs it might be worth having a look at the achilles strap instead and working out what you have with a little more investigation. The standard advice is always to consult a GP but, to be honest, when it comes to biomechanical issues they seem to be out of their depth and, with me at least, certain doctors seemed reluctant to take it seriously. Indeed - advice from one was to take painkillers and 'get on with it' which is what I have been doing for years. Thanks for the help...not. If you do see a GP and you feel you are being short-changed just insist on seeing a specialist. The appointment will take months but dont let them fob you off.

Wearing the night splint itself wasn't the most comfortable experience but I dont think there is any way to avoid this really. Its as comfy as it's going to get wearing a foamy ski boot to bed. Needs must however....and in fairness, its a good product which feels sturdy strapped up.

Good luck fellow sufferers!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 29, 2013 4:36 PM GMT