Profile for S. Fernandes > Reviews

Content by S. Fernandes

S. Fernandes "SocksySuccs" (London)

The Sea on Our Skin
The Sea on Our Skin
by Madeleine Tobert

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Read!!!, 10 Sep 2012
This review is from: The Sea on Our Skin (Paperback)
The writing and style really bring the island and the sheltered world to life, especially the sea. A beautiful story told really well and most of the, very different, characters had my attention and my emphathised with most of them at some point of their lives. My only criticism would be that there was too much sadness for one book with the lows not matched by any highs. But I guess that is a major feature of life some people so I applaud the author on her realism! Really did enjoy the story and world created.

The Glory Game: The New Edition of the British Football Classic (Mainstream Sport)
by Hunter Davies

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book!!!, 25 Oct 2011
I'm a Spurs fan so obviously there was a lot to keep me interested in the book BUT I would say this book would be a great read for any football fan. Not only did it deal with the players, the board and management but it also dealt with the perspective from a broad range of fans.

Very insightful book and though it's a different era, it did make me think about how we treat the current players, who though they are mainly swimming in money, are ultimately just people with the same fears and insecurities as most of us.

The additional appendices make interesting reading illustrating see how the game has changed for everyone over the decades. I doubt they'll ever be a book like this written about football; so as an honest and insightful look into what happens over a season.
Enjoy!!

by Timothy White

4.0 out of 5 stars Catch a Fire, 13 Mar 2009
Catch a Fire: The Life of Bob Marley
A brilliant read. Gives you a deep insight into everything from the religion, to the music and politics of Jamaica. It could delve a bit deeper into the life of Bob Marley; like the relationship with Scratch and why it fell apart. I think it tries to hard to set him up as a Legend...which it doesn't really need to as his music did that. But those are moot points, it is a great read giving you a general understanding of all the subject that affected the great man's life.

Little Dragon
Little Dragon

3.0 out of 5 stars Little Dragon, 13 Mar 2009
This review is from: Little Dragon (Audio CD)
Bought this on impulse and have to say it's a cracking purchase. Nagano has a superb voice, she's been compared to loads of people but I think she's unique. Some great tunes, favourites include; After the Rain, Twice and scribbled paper. Good lounge music, though it does get a bit boingy at points!!

Best Of Labi Siffre
Best Of Labi Siffre

2.0 out of 5 stars Labi, 13 Mar 2009
This review is from: Best Of Labi Siffre (Audio CD)
I was expecting more tunes like The Vulture and the funky like, the album's more on the 'Something inside so strong' side. So if you like that you'll love this album, I guess it's my fault so can't really knock the album. Best Of Labi Siffre