Profile for Sarah Larsen > Reviews

Content by Sarah Larsen

Sarah Larsen (Hampshire, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Bloodborne (PS4)
Bloodborne (PS4)
Offered by Electro Trading

3.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly disappointed Dark Souls player., 4 Nov. 2015
This review is from: Bloodborne (PS4) (Video Game)
Bad points:

Repetitive, dull, and tedious. Doesn't hold a candle to Dark Souls, or even Dark Souls 2. Unimaginative, dull and dingy areas with almost no variety and you are constantly playing at night. Huge open areas that lack the atmosphere of the DS franchise and may have you lost for hours. Guns are horrible. They brought back O to jump so no rolling out of a run.

Good points:

Good focus on melee; no more easy mode with magic, no more shields.

Overall I got bored about 20 hours into the game, it started well but I kept expecting something to change or for the game to pick up intensity but instead of more variety I just got more areas that look the same but get bigger and darker. I understand that dark areas can be more intense and exciting but not the whole game! and I don't enjoy roaming vast open areas looking for the entrance to the next area.

Probably would have given it a 4 if I had never played DS. But I have.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 17, 2015 4:31 AM GMT

Lighthouse CAPLIGHT 11-LED Cap Light
Lighthouse CAPLIGHT 11-LED Cap Light
Offered by Books United-UK

2.0 out of 5 stars it WAS a clip on light but looked more like a torch with a single large LED, 8 Dec. 2014
Be aware, the item I received was completely different than the one advertised, it WAS a clip on light but looked more like a torch with a single large LED, which although bright, jutted out way too far. After clipping to the front of your cap it will project a good 5-6 inches from your forehead and probably hit anything close to your face i.e. whilst climbing a ladder.

Bling Jewelry Secret Shades Obession Steel Handcuff Mens Bracelet
Bling Jewelry Secret Shades Obession Steel Handcuff Mens Bracelet
Offered by Bling Jewelry

5.0 out of 5 stars Make new friends with this on your wrist!, 14 Jun. 2014
At first I wasn't sure to buy this; almost every review stated it was for their husband which led me to believe that no-one actually wants it for themselves. But having worn it for a few days I can honestly say that men like it, I have made around 20 new friends in the last week because of it.

One of my new friends - Simon - loved it and he has tons of style, he wears skin tight acid washed jeans, tank tops, and small purse sized man bags. He wanted to borrow it, he said it went great with his over sized pink sunglasses and rainbow scarf. Admittedly I bought it for the attention of the ladies but I'm always up for making new friends. Our new 'group' went clubbing the other night and so many people commented on this bracelet, I felt so good busting some shapes on the dance floor, typical it was 'lads night' that night and not a woman in sight.

The next day I was very hungover but the bracelet was firmly intact on my wrist, albeit with some serious chafe marks beneath. I spent the night at Simon's that night although I have no recollection of getting there, or even much of the night after he bought me a drink. I'm very happy with the robustness of this bracelet and even though my wrist (and for some reason my ass) was painful the next day it just proved how much of a beating it could take. It must have taken a serious pounding because it was red and inflamed and throbbing for a week after (my wrist).

Anyway Simon says he's going to get me one for my other wrist and we're going out again next week, I can't wait!

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Great to hide holes in your ears!, 14 Jun. 2014
Have you got holes in your ears? If you do then pop these bad boys in and no-one will be any the wiser. You won't hear a lot though.

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars Work's very well at first, but then Sauron will possess you., 14 Jun. 2014
What can I say? this is THE ONE RING, forged by Sauron to rule all others. Being merely human it doesn't really give one omnipotence but can be used handily to turn invisible at will. I usually use it to avoid unwanted visitors but have also used it to steal cakes from the bakery. I would recommend keeping it on a chain however because you can forget you are wearing it and really freak people out. Last week I had an English exam only to discover they marked me down as absent! I wasn't happy about this at all. Maybe some kind of warning every hour would be in order to let you know you are still wearing the ring. Not to mention the old 'Lidless eye' of Sauron snooping in on you every minute of the day.

I'm getting a little fed up with 'The eye' now, at first I crapped my pants and took the ring off immediately but as time wore on I became bolder and started wearing the ring more. After a while I stopped caring so much as he doesn't seem to do much more than just watch me. One evening I forgot I was wearing the ring and rubbed one out, it was only afterwards, I realised that Sauron had been watching the whole thing, I felt really cheap after that and took the ring off immediately. It wasn't long before I started wearing it again though because the ring has a will of it's own! I took it off less and less and Sauron started to control me.

At first he would make me do silly things like put too much salt on my chips or me make me miss the toilet and soak my shoes, but after a while his warped mind concocted more elaborate tricks, like making me dance down the high street in stockings, or fart really loudly in the cinema. I think he has too much time on his hands to be honest, but then you would if you were an immortal Demi-God.

In summation this ring causes somewhat ambivalent feelings, on the one hand you can use it look up girls skirts and steal things, but on the other you will have a perverse Demi-God watching you every time you take a dump. Some might say you should take the rough with the smooth but I will be returning this as soon as possible...but not yet, because it is a rather lovely ring and I don't like parting with it all, I may say. I don't really see why I should...
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 11, 2015 7:41 PM BST

The "Harry Potter" Time Turner and Sticker Kit (Running Press Mega Mini Kits)
The "Harry Potter" Time Turner and Sticker Kit (Running Press Mega Mini Kits)
by Running Press
Edition: Accessory

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!!!, 24 Oct. 2012
What can I say? this is one piece of amazing movie memorabilia. Whenever I wear it I get admiring glances from everyone, even my lecturer thinks I look cool. I usually combine it with the complete Hogwarts uniform and cape, and have a holster for my wand which has a pheonix feather core. I think all the other kids at college are jealous because they make fun of me sometimes but I just cast an imperius curse on them and send them on their way.

All the girls look at me at lunch times, they watch me as I sit alone in the middle table, the guys look too but what can you expect? this is basically a chick magnet for God's sake! I've had numerous offers to go to the student union bar from groups of girls, they wink at me and whisper to each other, giggling as they are so taken by me and my time turner, but I always have to decline because I can't really mix with muggles or they might realise I'm actually a wizard hiding in plain sight!

The good thing about this time turner is that if I ever get found out by mugglekind I can just go back in time and change it, I haven't quite perfected memory charms yet so it's a relief to think I can fall back on this.

I'm expecting the letter to Hogwarts to come flying out of my fireplace any day now, it's a bit overdue but that might be because we have an electric fire. I did rip it out and look up the old chimney shaft but my Mum went mental and grounded me which is ok because I expect Ron will come by in his Dad's flying car to rescue me from my stupid muggle parents any day now.

I did try to get to Hogwarts via platform 9 and three quarters but the portal was closed for some reason, I hope Dobby didn't use his elf magic again because I broke my nose on the wall as I tried to run through; Ron's Mum said to run fast but I don't think it was a good idea because they sent me to hospital.

When I regained conciousness I told the nurse to get Madame Pompfrey because not only was muggle medicine slow, but I was also taking a valuable muggle bed. In they end they weren't very happy with me, neither were the other patients on my ward because I kept them up all night casting Lumos so I could read my spell books. I wish I'd had the time turner then so I could stop myself from breaking my nose because now it's all bent, I'm sure Madame pomfrey will fix it when I finally get to Hogwarts next year, I hope they hurry though Or I'll miss my OWLS.

Anyway I digress; this is a fantastic time turner, and even though it's not really movie quality it still sends you back in time, just be very careful not to change the past or Dumbledore may eject you from Hogwarts.

By H.P. ;)

Dragon's Dogma (Xbox 360)
Dragon's Dogma (Xbox 360)
Offered by games-wizard

4.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as everyone makes out, 24 Oct. 2012
Everything that is good about this game has already been covered, it's deeper than your average hack and slash but at times still feels a bit like a button masher, the combat is very simplistic and as a mage or archer you tend you employ less tactics than the warrior by repeatedly spamming the x button to cast fast fireballs or holding RB and waiting for a better spell to charge; very tedious at times. The combat itself is good enough though, no worse than skyrim but not as good as Dark Souls.

The game adds a challenge by making some enemies only weak to one or two kinds of attack; fire, ice, lightning, ranged, physical, dark or holy, so it's trial and error to figure out which, in the meantime even low level bandits are immune to your huge lightning bolts and fireballs because they have huge magic resistance. Yes it makes the game a bit more challenging but in the wrong way, I'd rather have a Dark souls type style of combat where your skill with parrying and blocking is the only thing keeping you alive than making a trial and error style like this.

This game falls down on the quests in my opinion, there are far too many 'Go from A to B with an item' and 'Escort person from A to B' quests, what makes it worse is the inability to fast travel. Now many people will tell you that this is what makes the game more enjoyable and that you feel like you are playing a role but let me use this example that happened to me:

The quest 'Witches Brew' has you returning to the witch you met earlier in the game, from the capital city I travelled for maybe ten minutes of real time killing things along the way, after a very long trek I arrive only to find that she is not in her house, confused I use the online Wiki to discover she goes to your house later in the game. So I travel to my house (another 7 minutes or so), but she's not there. I go online and try google this time, apparently she leaves the house and wanders the field outside after you meet her.

I return to her house and find her, (another 7 minutes) but find that I left the herb I need in the bank, I employ another 10 minutes getting to the nearest bank and back with it finally getting the item I need from her in return. I then return to the capital and find on my return I don't have the item I need (10 more minutes lost), either I died at some point before saving and didn't realise, the game glitched or I used the wrong type of herb.

I try again, taking the correct herb and having travelled all that way again I find she is not in the house or the field but to make sure I scour the area near her house fruitlessly for 5 more minutes. I assume that she must have gone to my house after she made me the herb ale last time and the mistake was my own for using the wrong herb, I travel home for 7 minutes only to find her not there. After that I turned off the game and probably won't play it again. Who would be having fun at that point? I doubt anyone would.

I know some of this is my fault but in a game like Skyrim you choose the quest you want and a marker appears on the map. In Dragon's Dogma too many of the quests have no clue whatsoever where to go. Many of them are located in a huge area you have to scout around. I don't have hours to waste searching for rabbits in a vast landscape to complete a quest.

It's not that I'm not good enough at games or not intelligent enough; I've over 70k gamerscore and I've been playing games for 25 years now. The truth is you need to have no job and preferably no life to enjoy this game, it will maybe appeal to kids between 11-18, I'm sure I'd have loved it at that age, but this to me is an exercise in tedium, right up there with the flower gathering in Red Dead.

The worst of it is the sheer amount of quests that pop up similar to 'Witches Brew', there are hundreds of quests and they mostly involve walking vast distances to give an item to someone or bring one back.

In summary this game is not for me, obviously I'm in the minority but I wish I'd read a review like this before I'd bought the game because I threw down £43 on this game and I think I'm going to sell it on Ebay now. life is too short to waste on this when I could be spending time with my family or just re-playing a great game like Fallout 3, Morrowind, Dark souls or Portal 2.

Edit: I started a new game and decided it is actually fun when you don't have to go back and forward 50 times for one quest,I think I may have experienced a glitch in that case. When it works it can be good if a little dull at times.

Call of Duty: Black Ops (Xbox 360)
Call of Duty: Black Ops (Xbox 360)
Offered by Bargain Games UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Probably would be 4+ if the older reviews were omitted, 28 July 2012
Most people who like Black Ops now probably didn't when it arrived back in November '10. I myself hated it and didn't play it for months, returning directly to MW2. But after having spent hundreds of hours on Zombies and hundreds in wager matches I can honestly say this is some serious value for money.

The multiplayer isn't up to the standards of MW2, it's slower and clunkier but when you think about the pro's such as:

Weaker noob tubes, no drop shots, no quick scopes, no commando, no danger close, no stopping power, wager matches.

Overall the game is well worth the money and time. Throw in a single player campaign and you're laughing. MW3 was a pile of crap so the franchise kind of ended with this one, we'll see what direction BLOPS2 takes us.

Teach Yourself Danish Complete Course Package (Book + 2cds) (Teach Yourself Complete Language Courses)
by Bente Elsworth
Edition: Audio CD

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't listen to other unfair reviews, 13 Feb. 2012
The person who gave this 2 stars complained that he couldn't learn danish using only the CD's and whilst driving (what the hell?) so hopefully this will educate you better.

Danish is a vary hard language, I've been using Rosetta stone for a year now, and to be honest it's so interminably boring I don't seem to learn much from it. Constructing sentences in Danish is very difficult and this book helped me far more in a week than Rosetta stone did in a year. I think Rosetta stone is good for vocabulary building and pronunciation but I'm not sure how useful it is beyond that.

I would highly recommend this book but definitely recommend you build a vocabulary up first, start with basic objects from a Danish/English dictionary and if you can afford Rosetta stone, get it. When you feel a bit more confident and ready to find out what the differences between den/det are, or why some sentences seem to have words reversed 'kommer jeg til England'/'Jeg kommer til England', then this is the next logical step.

Finally I should remind you Danish is so much harder because many of the words are pronounced so differently to English; they have 9 vowels and a lot of the time their consonants are silent and they create new words all the time by amalgamating two existing words. Many words sound extremely similar to others and it takes a lot of practice to be able to speak comprehensible Danish to a Danish person.

Good luck.

Fallout 3 - Game Of The Year Edition (Xbox 360)
Fallout 3 - Game Of The Year Edition (Xbox 360)
Offered by Bargain Games UK

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite game, 13 Oct. 2010
This game is awesome, the storyline keeps you hooked and combat is pretty good too. I'll list the bad points:

Crashes all the time
Way too easy, even on very hard
Far too easy to gain exp and max level
You can't turn very fast at all
You run very slowly also
When you reach the level cap the game becomes rather boring
A lot of the places within the game won't be visited by most people and should be incorporated into the quest
Not enough quests and the ones there are can be hard to find
Main quest is far too quick and easy
Loot becomes pointless, I finished the game on very hard without selling a single thing

It may sound awful but despite these flaws the game is the best single player experience I ever played. The GOTY edition is the best value for money you could hope for, £25 for around 50 hours of play minimum, and that's just the main storyline and expansions.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3