Profile for Grr > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap
Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap
Price: 7.10

4.0 out of 5 stars Lesser Bon Scott era album - still got some clsssics, 8 July 2014
This is a decent album by AC/DC, the second to receive an international release- though not in the states, more on that later - but it is also, in my opinion, the weakest Album featuring Bon Scott.

The reason this album is so well know, disproportionately so against others in the catalogue, is that the label initially refused to release this album in the USA. They only did so as a cash in after BIB became such a monster hit, as a result it was snapped up by fans wanting more. This has led to this album being more revered than many of their better records.

Now, all this said, it is absolutely not a bad album. There are some cracking tracks on this and I do think anyone who has a decent interest in AC/DC need to snap this one up, but not as one of the first purchases.

Track by track:

Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap - Rightly considered a classic. Dark, catchy, dangerous and tongue-in-cheek. (10)

Love at First Feel - Solidly okay track, Stripped down bluesy rock (7)

Big Balls - Your reaction to this song depends n your own viewpoint. If you can just let yourself go with the single-entendre nonsense and campery, it's a good chuckle of a track. If not, its base humour at its worst. I should hate it, but I don't. (7)

Rocker - It does what it says on the tin. A rock n' roll song about being a rocker. Dumb, fun and a good 'un. (8)

Problem Child - About as close to social commentary as AC/DC ever got - thankfully! Bon Scott has a great time on this, warning people to stay away cause he's so dangerous. (7)

There's Gonna Be Some Rockin' - More Status Quo than AC/DC in my opinion. It's fine but unspectacular. (6)

Ain't No Fun (Waiting Round To Be A Millionaire) - A great 3 minute rocker, dragged out for twice as long. Becoming deathly dull in the process (5)

Ride On - I like this track, I really do. I don't think Bon Scott sounds genuinely 'Lonely' at all but, heck, I'll go with it. A slow, proper bluesy number. (9)

Squealer - Decent riff but a weaker track that I seem to instantly forget straight after hearing it. (5)

A fine album, worth getting.

Trunki SnooziHedz Travel Pillow and Blanket - Ollie the Owl (Purple)
Trunki SnooziHedz Travel Pillow and Blanket - Ollie the Owl (Purple)
Price: 16.64

4.0 out of 5 stars Cute, cuddly and snuggly, 3 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a lovely idea, a pillow and blanket in one that folds up into a sqidgy toy for cuddles. Our toddler son really likes his owl friend, the bright colours in the range have a broad appeal to boys and girls and the various animal designs just enhance this.

The blanket section folds out from inside the Snoozihead and can be used separately or be attached to the pillow section. The pillow itself has small inflatable insert to make it puffier and in some cases more huggable. The material this is made of is soft, snuggly and nice and warm. The blanket also has a little pocket designed for teddy storage though our son has found it most useful for his toy dinosaurs who play peek a boo with him.

This is a quality item that children will love. I have only given 4 stars though as I am not completely sure it is worth the full asking price - perhaps you are paying extra for the Brand.

High Voltage
High Voltage
Price: 6.49

5.0 out of 5 stars AC/DC's big hello!, 2 July 2014
This review is from: High Voltage (Audio CD)
How many bands nails their sound on their debut? And by that I mean bands that stuck around for a while. I think AC/DC must be unique in the sense that their debut album could easily be their most recent. This is what they sound like, then, now and ever more. Thankfully the noise they make is terrific!

This is a really, really good album - admittedly a Frankenstein's monster splice of their first two Aussie albums. It's shockingly good and was, naturally, dismissed by UK critics and lumped in with the burgeoning Punk scene! Madness! Let's take it track by track - with marks out of 10:

1. It's a long way to the top... (9) - oh, such a strong opener. Brilliant riffs and you can hear Bon's frustration at all those years wasted in bands that went nowhere. Best bagpipe solo ever.

2. Rock N' Roll Singer (6) - you may call this AC/DC formulaic but this is one of the songs that set the formula in motion. Bon's on great form.

3. The Jack (9) - So, so seedy. Best song about an STD ever I reckon. Catchy tune to boot.

4. Live Wire (7) - There are people out there who will say this is the best track on the album. They are wrong. :) You do have a decent riff with some well spat out lyrics though.

5. T.N.T (10) - AC/DC 101 basically. A little bit daft, a little bit sleazy, riffs the size of skyscrapers and no-nonsense attitude. Still awesome.

6. Can I Sit Next To You Girl? (7) - If there are people out there who question how good Bon Scott was, I urge them to try and find the original version of this fairly standard tune sung by their first vocalist and then compare. Lewd, sleazy and nasty.

7. Little Lover (4) - I'm in a big minority here. Don't especially like the riffs and tune, find the lyrics a bit eeeeewwwwww. Not a good thing.

8. She's Got Balls (8) - Bon's oddly heartfelt song to his estranged wife. Much better than the title suggests.

9. High Voltage (10) - let's end on another nailed on classic shall we? Oh yes. This will get you bouncing no end!

This is a great album. You should probably buy it.

Trunki PaddlePak Water-Resistant Backpack - Spike the PufferFish (Yellow)
Trunki PaddlePak Water-Resistant Backpack - Spike the PufferFish (Yellow)
Offered by Baba Me
Price: 13.45

4.0 out of 5 stars Colourful, bright and fun, 26 Jun 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Our little chappie loves this bag. It's bright and cheery colours and design clearly appealing to his 2 year old sense of fun. As a parent, I like the high visibility that the bright yellow offers as well.

The bag is a decent size, small enough for our toddler to wear on his back but big enough to carry a few favourite toys, a spare nappy or two and a change of top. The material is very light but feels durable and good quality.

I am a little perplexed by one element of the design, namely the clip that does the bag up at its top. It's weird. pressing up against his neck. It almost looks like it has been designed to fit around the child's neck, this is obviously not the case and, indeed, Trunki are very clear that this is NOT how to use it. Fair enough, but the fact that it was deemed necessary to include this instruction show that the design is a bit odd and I do have visions of some less careful parents ignoring the instruction and nearly strangling their child by mistake. Wouldn't a zip, some Velcro or a popper or two have served just as well? It's not something that puts me off the product though, just an eyebrow raiser.

Overall a decent product and one that I recommend.

Playnest and Gym Farm
Playnest and Gym Farm
Price: 29.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun, bright and simple to set up!, 22 Jun 2014
This review is from: Playnest and Gym Farm (Toy)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a lovely looking, brightly coloured toy. It has been well designed with lots for baby to look at and to do - different colours, pictures, shapes, textures and sounds. The blow up ring really helps to provide support in sitting up. It really didn't take long to get this set up and ready for use and ensures we have a safe area for our small person to sit/lie in.

As other have mentioned this does take up a fair amount of space and so if you have a small area available then this might not be ideal however we have taken to storing the playnest upstairs in the nursery when not in use so this has not caused us any problems.

Our 2 year old also makes use of this when his sister is not in it - though perhaps not in the way it was originally designed for!

Galt Dr Miriam Baby Bath Set
Galt Dr Miriam Baby Bath Set
Price: 5.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Water squirty fun!, 22 Jun 2014
This review is from: Galt Dr Miriam Baby Bath Set (Toy)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Our son loves this toy in his bath. He has a fabulous time squirting water from the ducky, froggy and fishy! The lillypad gets somewhat side lined but he does enjoy bashing mummy and daddy on the head with it. For the 5 Amazon have this at currently it is a great deal.

You do need to be careful to ensure all the water has been emptied out of the toys or mould will form inside but this is not exactly a hardship.

My other half would like me to mention that the instructions that come with this toy and how to use it seem to assume you have no common sense or ability to devise play with your own child - but this is a small niggle!

MegaRed Original Krill Oil - Pack of 60 Tablets
MegaRed Original Krill Oil - Pack of 60 Tablets
Price: 16.28

5.0 out of 5 stars A Welcome Addition to my Health Regime, 3 Jun 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have been a long term user of Cod Liver Oil tablets as part of my health regime but have all too often found the tablets to be large, uncomfortable to swallow and have an unpleasant habit of leaving a very strong fishy taste in the mouth. Not the nicest thing to happen in the morning!

These Krill Oil tablets keep the promises on the box - they are much smaller and easier to swallow and no after taste. The information supplied with the box suggests that these tablets compare very favourably with the Cod Liver Oil that I have been using for years as well.

Though the heart health benefits are obviously the big selling point here, I personally take fish oil (along with a few other bits - Glucosamine Sulphate, Devils Claw and Ginseng) to manage joint pain, and switching to these tablets has not had any adverse affect on this at all.

Overall, I am pleased with this product and will be happy to continue using it going forward.

Tots Cots Deluxe Cot Bed (White)
Tots Cots Deluxe Cot Bed (White)
Price: 99.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy, well made and easy to put together, 1 May 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
When this cot arrived the box was a little battered but all the parts were there. I found that the cot itself was fairly simple to assemble and I managed to do it on my own with no help - though a second person would have made this a little quicker.

Once I had the cot fully assembled it was clear to see that this is a very sturdy product and will keep a baby secure and safe. It is also nice and spacious. The fact that you are able to adjust the level of the cot is great as it means that you do not have to bend over so far to pick up your little one when they are small - something which is really good for tired backs.

Perhaps one of the best features of this cot is that is transforms into a toddler bed so that when your baby gets a little older you can simply remove the sides to create a small bed. This means you do not have to buy a new toddler bed and your child remains in something familiar to them for the transition to a different sleeping arrangement.

Overall this is a great product for a reasonable price and should last for a few years avoiding additional expenses as baby gets bigger. It would be lovely if it came with a mattress, but they are not difficult to find, I am just a little lazy so like everything to arrive in one go!

Fisher-Price Space Saver High Chair
Fisher-Price Space Saver High Chair
Price: 35.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Compact, easy to store and sturdy, 23 April 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a really great product. Our son doesn't really enjoy highchairs too much as they tend to keep him a little way from the table but with this product strapped to a chair he can get right up to the table and feel like part of the family and not so separate. The tray for the chair is smaller than normal highchairs but still has plenty of room for his food and a separate area for his drink. It is also worth noting that the tray sides have a nice depth to stop things going flying. Our previous highchair did not have such high tray sides and it was noticeable how much more food ended up on the floor.

The tray is safe to go in the dishwasher which is great meaning that a quick wipe down can do for most days and then now and again it can have a deep clean. The chair covers are machine washable and fairly easy to take off which means that you don't end up with horribly dirty seat.

It is a very sturdy product and once it is strapped down really does feel like a safe place for a child. We are currently expecting our second baby and I suspect that for the most part we will be using this instead of a conventional high chair as it takes up so much less space and it just a simpler product overall. As yet we have not converted to the booster seat but considering how impressed we are with things so far I cannot see that this feature is likely to disappoint. Very happy with it.

Fisher-Price Newborn-to-Toddler Portable Rocker
Fisher-Price Newborn-to-Toddler Portable Rocker
Price: 56.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy, colourful and stimulating, 23 April 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
We have had several rockers in the past and this is up there with the best of them. We found it simple to construct which is great as I have spent lots of time trying not to trap my fingers in the past. When all together it feels sturdy and solid which is always reassuring in a product for a baby. The chair itself is extremely colourful and there are lots of interesting toys to keep the little one amused.

The vibration feature is easy to turn on and helps to soothe my son when he is a bit stressed. It is also nice and encompassing for him so he seems very safe but also gives lots of space for him to grow into a he gets older.

Although some reviews have stated that the cover is hard to remove for washing I have not found this to be the case. As with most equipment for babies the seat relies on things fitting snugly and once you get used to the way everything fits together then the covers become easier to get on and off. They are also machine washable which might seem like a no brainer but I have come across baby products which have only hand washable covers which to me seems somewhat silly. Babies are by their nature messy and mums and dads really don't usually have enough time to hand wash loads of things so anything machine washable will be a big tick in my book.

Overall this is a great product that I suspect we will be using for a long time to come.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20