Profile for YM > Reviews

YM (London, UK)

Top Gear - The Great Adventures 1 & 2 Box Set [DVD]
Top Gear - The Great Adventures 1 & 2 Box Set [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jeremy Clarkson

1.0 out of 5 stars US Special great adventure (the Florida fly-drive one), 16 July 2011
As an avid Top Gear fan, my husband was pretty devastated when the sky box deleted all the top gear specials. For his birthday I bought them all for him. No complaints about the quality of the service, or the condition of the items etc. This feedback is aimed at whoever edited this particular show.
1. The music is naff (no highlights, no country, no pace, just a dull background noise that adds nothing to the antics)
2. It is only 52 minutes long, meaning that massive chunks are missing (for example, when they buy their gifts for their cars/selves - the air-conditioning unit, the clothes rack & the BBQ - no mention of them at all. They just seem to arrive in one shot, and are gone in another)
3. The show has been cut/edited in such a way that it just is not funny, and actually is pretty illogical.

Whoever did the editing ought to be ashamed of themselves, ruining a fantastic show! This DVD is a massive disappointment!

Save your cash and record it off Dave!

24 piecec ELISE cutlery set with hanging stand
24 piecec ELISE cutlery set with hanging stand

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 11 Mar 2011
I am biased as the stand itself was snapped at the bottom when it arrived, but even still, the finish of the product is poor (very rough edges on the base). The cutlery sits well on it, but the stand wobbles constantly, in a sort of annoying slow rocking motion. The red handles are vibrant and there isn't that much more to say.

If you are short on space, then it's perfect.

Understanding Exposure, 3rd Edition: How to Shoot Great Photographs with Any Camera
by Bryan Peterson

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank you Bryan Peterson!, 4 Feb 2011
I sadly bought the earlier version of this book and so far am up to page 36. It is technical, but then photography is technical and there are some set rules, and the rest of the knowledge gathering is about preference. Bryan Peterson has a wonderful way of clarifying complicated information (complicated to me anyway) and breaking it down into digestible portions. It still requires concentration, but he has a way of clarifying, without patronising.

There is no time wasting with explaining the obvious like so many other books on the market, and he uses the 'proper' terminology, which means you can cross reference with your camera manual.

Absolutely brilliant book and I am so thrilled that I have bought it. Just wish I'd checked that I had the most recent version now!

I heartily recommend this to anyone wanting to invest time and energy to understand the subject basics, and move onto using the 'manual' setting on their camera.

Gibsons - Great British Seaside 1000 Piece Jigsaw Puzzle
Gibsons - Great British Seaside 1000 Piece Jigsaw Puzzle

5.0 out of 5 stars A real challenge!, 26 July 2009
= Durability:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:3.0 out of 5 stars
Four of us 'snacked' on this over a weekend (it was a bit of an obsession for me if I'm honest) and we didn't manage to complete it sadly. Its a real challenge as its so detailed... great fun for family gatherings if you have the space to spread out, and time to work on it. (Granted that this is true of all puzzles however :))

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent for travelling, 15 April 2009
I've been looking for a little travel pot and this is just perfect. It has an oblong shape to it and it is compact/slender, so that makes it great for taking away. My main one is large, bulky and round. Also, this one can go in the dishwasher for a proper wash... suspect that my old bulky one is heading for the recycling bin!

To anyone curious about using a neti-pot, this is an absolute must for allergy sufferers, sinus infections, general snotty issues. I regularly had to have antibiotics for infections in my sinus' (at least 5 episodes a year, and one course of antibiotics was never sufficient to shift the infection), but since rinsing daily with a neti-pot (its been 1.5 years now of daily use), I haven't had any infection or, more importantly, any antibiotics. All you need to do is add ordinary table salt to some tepid water and wash through your nostrils. You will soon get the hang of it and not get the saline solution in your mouth. In this size pot, I usually add about 1/2 table size of salt to it. Its cheap, easy and an excellent way to avoid infection!!

The Miracle Ball Method: Relieve Your Pain, Reshape Your Body, Reduce Your Stress
by Elaine Petrone

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb! Easy... and they work, 28 Mar 2009
The Miracle Ball Method really does work. I have struggled with my lower back, having put my spine out of alignment following a tendon injury in 2008, and found myself walking like a pensioner, especially first thing in the morning. I saw these on a visit to the US and bought them when I got back to the UK. They are so good and easy to use and my back has never ever felt this good. I am now tackling a long standing shoulder problem with them. My husband is a convert, my mother and now my pregnant neighbour. The little book that comes with it gives an idea of how to use the balls, but once you get the hang of it you can easily adapt them to your own routine. Now its just a few minutes of my time each day to keep by lower back supple and pain free. I can't recommend them highly enough.