Profile for S. Broadbent > Reviews

Content by S. Broadbent

S. Broadbent "cyberspaceexpress" (Exeter, Devon)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
Oral-B 4000 Braun PRO CrossAction 4-Mode Rechargeable Electric Toothbrush
Oral-B 4000 Braun PRO CrossAction 4-Mode Rechargeable Electric Toothbrush
Offered by SPARES-2-GO
Price: 94.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Value, recommended., 24 Jun 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The Braun Oral B Pro 4000 electric toothbrush is a mid range, well made, smart looking brush that should meet all of your brushing requirements.
Out of the box a full charge takes almost a day and then you are set.
This brush comes with 3 heads but it will accept most Braun brushes giving you a wide choice if you don't like the supplied heads.
There are 4 brushing modes to choose from, Daily Clean, Gum Care, Sensitive and Whitening. My mode of choice is Daily Clean as Sensitive doesn't leave me feeling properly cleaned.
Personally Gum Care mode does nothing for me either which also leaves Whitening mode.
This uses variable speeds to polish your teeth more effectively and Braun claim their research demonstrates that this whitens your teeth.
I am not convinced of this but would probably need to stick at it day after day to see the effect.
The bottom line is that the actual main cleaning program does an excellent job and my teeth feel professionally cleaned afterwards.
I also recommend that you try other cleaning heads as I prefer the Trizone brushes (Not included) but this is a very personal thing.
The Brush stutters every 30 seconds or so when cleaning to remind you to change mouth quarters.
This brush holds about an half hour charge before it runs down which is plenty. It also has a red light which flashes if you press too hard. Now I like to clean my teeth hard and so the red light is constantly flashing when I use it and I find this annoying and wish there was a disable function but I suspect most people will probably be more gentle than me and this shouldn't be a worry.
That aside I cannot think of other negatives, Braun brushes are high quality and last years, better than Philips in my experience.
It comes with a two year warranty as standard and in the box is a form you can send in to get a third year free. Excellent value!
Recommended.

Philips PerfectCare Azur Iron GC4912/80 - One Perfect Temperature, T-IonicGlide Soleplate and 180g Steam Boost
Offered by Tekware UK
Price: 67.48

4.0 out of 5 stars Ironing and the gym, all in one., 24 Jun 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The build quality of this iron appears to be top quality, it has a nice feel in the hand and looks an impressive bit of kit.
However I agree with the comments made by others about the weight of this iron at 1.75kg it is heavy and my elderly mother who really like this iron, find this her only real negative point.
The "Optimal Temp" technology I have used before and it is impressive.
I find it does work well across different fabrics and hasn't burnt anything yet.
It has a generous 2.5 metre power cord, and is really simple to use. The instructions run to a couple of pages.
It runs on tap water and has a built in anti calc filter.
Periodically the iron will tell you when it needs de-scaling and you just follow the instructions.
Also it puts itself into a standby mode after 3 minutes of zero use but comes back to life as soon as you pick it up again.
Also there is a vertical function for curtains etc that again is useful.
Overall I think this is a quality iron, easy to use, cool looks and maintenance free.
Only time will tell with regards to reliability and thanks to the weight you can even workout at the same time.

Ruark Audio R2i DAB/FM Stereo with iPod Dock: Walnut
Ruark Audio R2i DAB/FM Stereo with iPod Dock: Walnut
Offered by home AV direct
Price: 299.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Bravo !!!!!, 19 Jun 2014
The Ruark 2i has exceeded my expectations in every way.
The build quality is high class and it looks stunning.
The sound is incredibly good; I considered buying the Bose at twice the price but struggle to believe that any radio can sound much better than this.
The stereo separation is noticeable which is amazing given the size of the R2i and the power available is awesome.
The menu system is intuitive, similar to Apple’s and set up took less than two minutes.
The display is crisp, clear and pleasing on the eye.
One small niggle to be aware of is the display has a very low level of illumination when in standby mode. This means that during the day the clock is almost unreadable unless you peer closely.
However you can press the OK button and the display lights up for a couple of seconds without switching the radio on.
The display is fine in a dark room, clearly readable but not so bright as to disturb.
In my opinion, provided that this radio is reliable and lasts a long time (And the build quality suggests that it will), it is terrific value for money and I would highly recommend it.
Bravo!!!!!

The Incarnations
The Incarnations
by Susan Barker
Price: 10.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Rich, colourful, well written, what's not to like., 19 May 2014
This review is from: The Incarnations (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The "Incarnations" is six interwoven short stories throughout Chinese history, linked by a Beijing taxi driver named Wang.
The narrative covers a span of 1000 years and is rich in detail as Wang learns of his varied and colourful past, a slave, a concubine, a revolutionary and even a eunuch terrifyingly castrated at his own mother's hand.
Susan Barker's story is clever and gripping, but the key for me is the difference between a storyteller and a writer, Barker is the latter and I hope that the Incarnations is also translated to the big screen soon.

Philips Sonicare HX6511/43 EasyClean White Rechargeable Toothbrush
Philips Sonicare HX6511/43 EasyClean White Rechargeable Toothbrush
Price: 89.99

5.0 out of 5 stars You can’t really go wrong with a Philips Sonicare, recommended., 17 May 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As far as I am aware there are only two makes of electric toothbrushes,
Braun and Philips.
I have used both brands for years. Both brands are excellent.
This Philips model follows the same design as all other electric brushes,
Has clean lines, is comfortable to hold and appears well built.
It comes with the ubiquitous charging station, which uses electromagnetic pulses to charge the battery, and you need a full 24-hour charge the first time you use the brush.
Philips has an “Easy Start” programme which uses a more gentle approach to brushing for the first 14 times you use this brush.
The purpose is to make brushing less strident for people using an electric brush for the very first time, which I think is an excellent feature.
I disabled the “Easy Start” process (Press and hold the power button for 2 seconds) and went straight to full strength cleaning.
Now the key question, how good is this brush?
Well it is excellent; it cleans my teeth thoroughly, without any discomfort during or after the brushing.
It has a pacing system, which beeps and stalls the brushing for a second to remind you to move on to the next section, personally I have never particularly liked this (Braun have it as well) and I tend to ignore it, but each to their own.
When it comes to “Whitening” I must confess I couldn’t see an appreciable difference. To me the actual cleaning is more important and this is really good.
Also the paste you choose may make a difference, I use Sensodyne and I don’t go for whitening pastes.
The battery holds a decent charge and a pack of replacement heads costs about 23.00.
Would I buy this brush? If your main concern is a good, clean, healthy set of teeth then yes.
If you want to whiten your teeth then I am not sure how effective it will be.
Overall an excellent well made easy to use brush that really cleans your teeth well and holds a decent charge.
Maintenance is easy, just wash under a tap.
You can’t really go wrong with a Philips Sonicare, recommended.

Braun Series 3 340s-4 Rechargeable Wet and Dry Foil Electric Shaver
Braun Series 3 340s-4 Rechargeable Wet and Dry Foil Electric Shaver
Price: 49.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Top marks for a top shaver, 20 April 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The Braun Series 3 has typical Germanic build quality and is comfortable to hold with a nice firm feel.
The shaving is as good as it gets with the ability to have a conventional dry shave, or an electric wet shave in the shower.
I have really sensitive skin, which is left sore after every dry shave.
Having tried other makes I have found that the Braun gives me the closest shave for the greatest amount of comfort.
Being able to shave in the shower eliminates the soreness of a dry shave.
I can get a maximum of 4 shaves out of each full charge but I recharge after every shave. Because this is a wet shaver cleaning is easy, you just rinse it out.
Maintenance is a doddle; the shaving head is a single complete cartridge that unclips.
The shaving head or foils cost around 20.00 to replace and for me, last around 9-10 months. Braun claim longer but I think this depends on how every individual shaves.
I am lucky enough to own the most expensive shaver Braun make at just under 200.00 and can honestly say this shaver cuts just as well for a much lower price.
This model does not come with a clean and charge station, which automates the process and is for the seriously lazy.
Neither does it have an LCD display giving you charge or cleaning status information.
The point is you really do not need any of these things just a great shave
which the series 3 delivers.
Overall I recommend you buy this shaver it is probably the best value combination you can get. Top marks for a top shaver.

Monarch [DVD]
Monarch [DVD]
Dvd ~ TP McKenna
Price: 12.05

4.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the price of admission, 31 Mar 2014
This review is from: Monarch [DVD] (DVD)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I love historical dramas and the 70's produced some great tele.
This is no exception, it is a gripping piece of theatre.
I remember T.P. McKenna from his appearances as Richmond in Callan as a Russian spy and have always enjoyed everything i have seen him in.
I am not sure how historically accurate this is, (I suspect not very) but it is a film and not a documentary and so my advice is grab your popcorn and enjoy.
It is well acted and written and McKenna does a good interpretation of Henry VIII although i preferred Robert Shaw in "A man for all seasons" and Keith Michell in "The six wives of Henry VIII" this is partly due to the limited scope given to McKenna due to the entire play being set on just one night.
But the story drips with intrigue, skulduggery and atmosphere.
Well worth the price of admission.

NOCO G3500UK Genius Smart Battery Charger
NOCO G3500UK Genius Smart Battery Charger
Price: 30.41

4.0 out of 5 stars Lets hope they don’t Overcharge!, 31 Mar 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As someone who has worked in the motor trade for their entire career
I can honestly say I have lost count of the number and different types of battery chargers I have used over the years.
In the world of car sales and repairs a decent battery charger is essential, most garages have more than one.
This little device works perfectly well and is easy to use, although I don’t regard battery charging as rocket science, a common mistake is mixing up the positive and negative terminals and if you do this on a car battery you will get quite a firework display and damage can occur.
The Noco Genius G3500 protects against this mistake and also guards against over charging and cooking batteries.
It is small and lightweight and has 4 led lights that indicate the level of juice in your battery.
I have not tested this over a long period and so can’t comment from experience regarding build quality but I have a slight concern that it won’t take life in a busy garage with constant commercial use.
However it does come with a 5 year limited guarantee.
For domestic use I am sure it will be fine for years to come.
This is an excellent product, although we do not yet know how much it will cost.
I notice that it is about $75.00 in the U.S.A.
Assuming it is sensibly priced then I would be delighted to recommend this charger (I think about 50.00 is about the max on price I would be happy to pay, but this is strictly my opinion only).
Lets hope they don’t Overcharge…..get it!

Tacwise 181ELS Electric Nail Gun
Tacwise 181ELS Electric Nail Gun
Price: 65.96

5.0 out of 5 stars Nailed it., 24 Mar 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I love this product, it really does a nice job shooting nails into wood and makes nailing not only more fun but quicker and easier.
I recommend finding some gash bits of wood and having a few practice goes first but it is simple to use and easy to load.
I have not used it extensively but so far no jams and it really fires the nails deep into the wood. Once you become used to it you pick up speed and it is much faster than using a hammer.
I used it to put a fence up and repair another one.
Now I am not a professional tradesman and understand you can get more powerful guns at a much higher price but for home D.I.Y. I imagine this takes care of most jobs.
It is well made and easy to set up, load and use.
A pack of 1000 nails costs about 4.00 and 1000 is a hell of a lot of nails.
Overall this is well made, great to handle and cheap to use.
What more can you ask from most things.
highly recommended

Peacock [DVD] [2010]
Peacock [DVD] [2010]
Dvd ~ Cillian Murphy
Price: 4.25

4.0 out of 5 stars Strangely compelling., 24 Feb 2014
This review is from: Peacock [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is an odd but strangely compelling film which exceeded my expectations.
It concerns a bank clerk in small town America who has a split personality.
By day he is a quite, hard working file clerk, at home he is his alter ego, a woman who happens to be his wife.
The town's people know both his characters but have never worked out why they never appear together.
Somehow he makes this life work until one day a train derails and crashes into his front garden. The accident triggers a series of
events that threaten his quite lifestyle, with both personalities fighting each other in dealing with the aftermath of the crash.
I won't spoil the film for anyone, but will add that it's a good story, well written, tightly directed, low budget and brilliantly acted.
I was surprised by how good this film is and really enjoyed it.
For the money it's a bargain, recommended.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10