Profile for Braindown > Reviews

Pushing Ice
Pushing Ice
by Alastair Reynolds
Price: 7.19

4.0 out of 5 stars Good enjoyable read, but like The Prefect, needs a sequel., 3 Nov 2009
This review is from: Pushing Ice (Paperback)
Oooh! Didn't you just want to bang old Lind and Barseghian's heads together????

What a pair of idiots eh!

And here lies the focal point of a lot of the criticism levelled at this book. Poor, weak characterisation of the main protagonists - and I agree, both do come across as a bit moronic and definitely not leader material.

Ritually I always read Amazon reviews after I've finished a book, never before, (I highly recommend this practice) and judging by a lot of the reviews here, these two 'weak' characters seem to have really got up the noses of a lot of readers.... but help is at hand, come and visit where I work and I can point out a dozen useless, limp, argumentative, not fit for purpose, petty people all in various positions of power. So it can happen, why should all leaders be correct decision making, mighty, strong armed heroes?

I liked this book for this exact reason, I loved the fact that I found myself uttering under my breath 'you idiots!' and 'why on earth are you acting like that?' and my personal favourite, which I murmured rather a lot 'you stupid dunderheads!'

Yes this may not be Reynolds best, but I found myself swept along with the grand ideas that the novel presents, it gave glimpses of vast intelligences and left me with an overarching feeling of insignificance.

I was disappointed to finish the book with so many questions unanswered, but my imagination is doing its best to plug the gaps - and that, in my opinion, is the sign of a good novel.

Non-Stop (S.F. MASTERWORKS)
Non-Stop (S.F. MASTERWORKS)
by Brian Aldiss
Price: 6.29

5.0 out of 5 stars A Non-Stop Rollercoaster Ride, 13 Dec 2007
I love this book for many reasons, but I think the main one is Aldiss's wonderful characterization of the leading protagonists.

Roy Complain comes across as such a real, battle-hardened individual; you immediately bond with the guy. Whilst you can really sense Marapper's slimy and scheming nature.

These elements coupled with the beautifully described settings add to such a great story. I felt that I stumbled through the dark, felt the heat, sensed the claustrophobia. You feel trapped by the environment and amazingly you really move through the book as if you are a member of the expedition, drawn in by the endless discoveries.

This will go down as one of my fave's along with The Demolished Man, The Forever War and even The Last Starship From Earth.....even though it didn't help with my fear of rats!

Last Starship from Earth
Last Starship from Earth
by John Boyd

5.0 out of 5 stars A hidden classic, 13 Dec 2007
A truly fantastic book, like the previous reviewer said if you see a copy buy it and treasure it.

I stumbled across this gem whilst surfing a particular nerdy sci-fi website that I happen to frequent.

The story seems to bumble on for the first half of the book, with similar 1984 forbidden love dystopian plotlines. I seemed to be on autopilot waiting for the twist - whenever anyone mentions this book they talk about the twist, I suppose it was this that drew me towards the novel in the first place.

About halfway through I thought I'd worked out the so-called 'twist' and was smugly grinning to myself when the book unfolded along my predicted plotline.

What I didn't see coming was the OTHER brilliant twist - it really was something special......

It really turns the whole story on its head and changes your entire perspective of the book. To such an extent that I wanted to read the book again with my new found knowledge - as soon as I'd finished the last page!!!!

Buy, read, enjoy.......

Revolver [DVD]
Revolver [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jason Statham
Offered by CMS MEDIA UK
Price: 1.57

4.0 out of 5 stars A strange experience, 6 Sep 2007
This review is from: Revolver [DVD] (DVD)
I stumbled across this film just as it was starting on Sky Movies, I did like Ritchie's previous films - Lock Stock and Snatch, they were both enjoyable but certainly not masterpieces.

I decided to carry on watching just to see if it was as bad as everyone made out, so I kept watching..... and watching.... and watching but it didnt really turn that bad. It was a little confusing and odd but it really made me work for its attention which is a refreshing experience in this day and age.

Its certainly no classic but some of the imagery and strange millisecond cut scenes, especially when Statham was trying to keep his head together were very haunting and disturbing - great and original film making.

As I said, this film is by no means a classic but it didnt deserve the panning it got. It's though provoking and original and some of the scenes will keep rattling around in your brain for a few days afterwards.

It seems all the amazon reviewers that didnt like it were people who simply loved (or should I say, larrrved) all the one-dimensional mockney gangster capers a la Lock Stock and Snatch, this film is nothing like these efforts and more importantly, its not supposed to be.

Thanks, I'll now dismount my high horse.

The Wasp Factory
The Wasp Factory
by Iain Banks

5.0 out of 5 stars Amusingly Macabre, 21 May 2004
This review is from: The Wasp Factory (Paperback)
An excellent read, it's just what you need to re-affirm your suspicions that the world really is an awful, hurtful, nasty, evil place.
Prepare for your jolly outlook to be shattered....
Truly marvellous stuff.