Profile for Lyra > Reviews

The River Cottage Family Cookbook
The River Cottage Family Cookbook
by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall

5.0 out of 5 stars Must-have cookery book, 2 Sep 2009
I love this cookery book. It's fun, inspiring and brilliantly easy to follow. If I need to cook pancakes, macaroni cheese or spaghetti bolognese for my children, it's the book I always turn to. But it's definitely not just for children. It's packed full of delicious recipes that would please the fussiest adult - and is beautifully illustrated. My favourites so far: scrumptious soda bread, chicken curry and pear and almond pudding cake. I've bought numerous copies for birthday presents. Highly recommended.

Through the Eye of a Needle: The true story of a man who went searching for meaning and ended up making his Y-fronts
by John-Paul Flintoff
Price: 8.78

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny, thought-provoking and unexpectedly moving, 2 Sep 2009
I bought this book after listening to the author on Woman's Hour. The presenter tried to make fun of the dress John-Paul had made for his daughter but failed to dent his cheerful enthusiasm, and it turns out he's very much like that in the book, which is laugh-out-loud funny but also thought provoking and unexpectedly moving. With passages on climate change, fossil fuel, sweat shops and the miserable, disempowered state of the modern consumer, it could easily have been a straightforward "green" guide to clothing, but John-Paul took the unusual step of including passages about his search for meaning in religion and politics (and even here he managed to make me laugh). In the short time I've had the book I've lent it round to others, and they all seem to share my enthusiasm. I'd have been glad to have a section at the back on how to do some of the things he learned to do, and where to buy things like nettle (!) yarn, but it's not sold as a "how to" book, so it would be unfair to complain. Thoroughly recommended.